Problems with Wireless Hotspot on HTC Thunderbolt
GDP
Is anyone else having problems staying connected to the WiFi hotspot on the Thunderbolt? The actual hotspot stays connected but the data connection drops after 3-5 minutes or so (in 4G and 3G). I've never had a problem with it until I signed up for the hotspot. And it's ONLY when using that hotspot that it has problems. I took it to Verizon and they did the normal factory reset, replaced SIM card, etc etc. Took it home, and still having the same problem. Called tech support, they had me do a bunch of stuff, still not working and I didn't have another phone around to call from. Took it back to Verizon, they couldn't do anything. Very frustrated. They said it was not a known issue but I know for a fact that it is, which is why they offered the hotspot for free during the first couple months of the phones release.
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problems with Wireless Hotspot on HTC Thunderbolt
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

You know its a known issue when people that take 1,000s of calls said it isn't...

Does it happen when you phone screen times out or anything? Try to change the security type and see if that helps at all

My co-worker has this phone and feature and he said for the most part it works with minor hiccups *shrug*

0 Likes
lyne1120

I loved the  three month free mobile hotspot trial and signed up for the $30 unlimited plan yda. The speeds during the trial were remarkable and had no problems at all. Now that I purchased the plan, the speeds are so slow that it is practically non existent. My netflix cant even pick it up anymore.  I called tech support  and they were no help!  WTH!!

0 Likes
Not applicable

GDP wrote:
Is anyone else having problems staying connected to the WiFi hotspot on the Thunderbolt? The actual hotspot stays connected but the data connection drops after 3-5 minutes or so (in 4G and 3G). I've never had a problem with it until I signed up for the hotspot. And it's ONLY when using that hotspot that it has problems. I took it to Verizon and they did the normal factory reset, replaced SIM card, etc etc. Took it home, and still having the same problem. Called tech support, they had me do a bunch of stuff, still not working and I didn't have another phone around to call from. Took it back to Verizon, they couldn't do anything. Very frustrated. They said it was not a known issue but I know for a fact that it is, which is why they offered the hotspot for free during the first couple months of the phones release.

Hi there!

I have a Thunderbolt as well and use the Hotspot with no issues. What did our Tech Support walk you through doing?

I recommend going into 'Settings>Applications>All>Mobile Hotspot>Clear Cache>Clear Data>OK to confirm both options. Then, go back into the Mobile Hotspot application, set up and try connecting to make sure it stays on!

If you continue to have issue, please PM me your name and mobile number so I can escalate this for you.

Thank you and have a great day!

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Mine does what if explaining when the screen is darken as well as it is more slow compared to 3g when it was free.
0 Likes
mvgarner
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am on my third brand new Thunderbolt from Amazon wireless and each has had this issue.  The issue existed when it was new out of the box as well as after the OTA update.

I spent close to two hours on the phone with VZW tech support.  She is going to send me a new SIM card to see if that resolves the issue, since that is the only link between all three Thunderbolts.  She is also sending the issue up the chain to trace the routing of the data.

Since it is only an issue on the mobile hotspot, USB tethering works flawlessly, my personal opinion is that it is heat related.  I think that maybe the added heat from the wifi transmitter is causing the 4g or 3g transmitter to freak out.  Why else would the feature work great for the first several minutes it is on?

I should also add that this issue exists in 3g and 4g, when I am at home (-82 to -89 dbi) and close to the tower (< 65 dbi) and with both heavy and light data demand.

I will update the forum if by some mircle the new SIM card fixes the issue.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

gina7289 wrote:
Mine does what if explaining when the screen is darken as well as it is more slow compared to 3g when it was free.

I understand your concerns with the Mobile Hotspot feature on your device!  Have you tried the troubleshooting steps VZWSupport Rep, Adam, mentioned before?

Let me know if you are still experiencing problems with connection and speed.

0 Likes
tjrussell

I bought this phone the day after it came out and still have the original. I've done all the updates since. I have tried to troubleshoot this problem by myself, I have the unlimited hotspot too. It still drops the data connection after 5 to 10 mins. I have a MAC and use pdanet to tether it, data connection is solid and will not drop. I have taken my phone to Verizon as well and chatted with their techincal support guy. I live in a 4G area but I have tried to do the hotspot on the CDMA only which is the 3G, it still does the same thing. Pretty much what I've been told by Verizon is that HTC does know it is an issue. My personal opinion, this is NOT a network issue with the CDMA or LTE networks, it is actually a problem with the phone itself. Im not sure how HTC allocates the antennas in the phone. Thunderbolt users, you should recognize that your phone will talk and surf/hotspot anything you want to do even on the 3G network, just not the 4G. This is the only Verizon phone that is capable of doing it so far, by what I've studied. Just have to hang in there, HTC will figure it out hopefully... and will send another OTA software update. And I don't think Verizon would offer the unlimited hotspot unless this was a known issue. But its pretty cool they did and I hope after its fixed that we can still be grandfathered in, to those that have subscribed. But by far this the best phone out there, I've played with a lot of phones and this is my favorite of all time and its on the best network. Trust me I used to work the AT&T cell towers booting up there 3G and 4G network. :smileywink: they are 5 years behind Verizon and for that fact sprint on the 3G side. And kicking butt with the LTE!

0 Likes
dcpmark
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem now, and I'm getting frustrated. It only started happening recently for me, after several months of working perfectly. I use my hotspot in same place (my office), at the same time each day (7am to 2pm), and connected to the same device (iPad 2). This has to be network related. I even emailed my problem to a Verizon support person here with no response. This data cycling when using the hotspot issue has been going on since the Thunderbolt was released, so that's **bleep** that it's not a known issue. I've tried everything except switching SIM cards and rooting, but nothing works. I'm sick of paying $60 per month for unlimited data and unlimited hotspot only to have it not work. 

If you are having trouble, not only report it but ask for a credit for every day it happens. Maybe it will get more attention if Verizon starts losing some money.

0 Likes
sgbarrow
Enthusiast - Level 2

My issue with the hotspot is that is is very slow.  I run a speed test on my Thunderbolt and I can get 12M down and and 3M up.  When I turn on the hotspot and connect my laptop, my laptop only gets 400k/180k.  It is basically unusable.  I have a Samsung 4G mifi that I use instead and I can get 8M/2M on my laptop but I would like the hotspot feature to work.  Any ideas?

0 Likes