Proximity sensor issue causes the Mute and Speaker buttons to activate during a call.
Simul8r

I have a problem during voice calls with the phone to my ear. Even though the phone my move only a fraction, most times I don't even know it has happened, my cheek will activate the Mute and/or Speaker buttons. This usually results in me being deafened by the other party shouting "can you hear me?" through that excellent speaker which is now right beside my ear.

I had this issue with my first HTC One and this replacement phone and has the same issue.

Am I the only one with the problem? Should I try another replacement phone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

0 Likes
Re: Proximity sensor issue causes the Mute and Speaker buttons to activate during a call.
B33
Legend

Is this on the m7  or  the  m8.?  

0 Likes
Re: Proximity sensor issue causes the Mute and Speaker buttons to activate during a call.
Simul8r

It's an M7.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Simul8r - Let's make sure we quiet that roar! Is the proximity sensor working but sensitive or does the screen not go off at all? Did you install all the same application from your previous device after the replacement? Was it working well when you first got it? I am eager to find a solution!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

Simul8r

Sorry for the long delay.

The sensor is working but extremely sensitive. When I do a sensor test using Sensor Box it detects nothing (i.e. reads 9.0cm) until the object is about 1cm away when it changes to 0.0. It is either 0 or 9 there is no linear detection.

The screen goes off when it's right next to my face. I think!, but even the slightest movement of the phone beside my face and it selects either Mute or Speaker or both I get deafened by the other party asking if I can hear them!

I believe that the same applications installed automatically but then I may have deleted some and added some since.

The problem occurred as soon as I had the new phone I just couldn't face starting over again but it's getting to the point that it is difficult to hold a conversation sometimes.

I'm eager too. I love the phone, and now I leave the camera in HDR all the time I'm getting decent photos but primarily it's a phone and that's where the problem is.

Thanks for your help. I'll check back shortly this time!!

Andy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Simul8r, thank you for all of this information. Have you noticed if one of your fingers may be covering the sensor while on calls? Have you checked if there is a software update available?

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Simul8r

No. I'm careful how I hold it and the software is up to date.

As I mentioned when I test it the proximity sensor switches very sensitively to full range once it detects about 1 cm from the coverage. It looks to me as if it should be detecting a range from 0-9cm.

Andy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Simul8r,

Lets get this fixed! Please place the device in Safe Mode to see if the sensor improves http://vz.to/1wK2JhB . Keep me posted with the results.

Thanks
PamelaF_vzw
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Simul8r

Can you confirm that Safe Mode is a temporary thing, similar to Windows Safe Mode, and won't revert the device back to factory settings?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Simul8r,

You got it! Safe mode is a temporary feature that can be disabled at anytime. This will simply disable all third party features that utilize a data connection. This will not revert the device back to factory settings.

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes