Quick Settings -> Power Efficiency: won't change from "On"
rjstjohn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's a question for you guys. After taking ICS, I noticed in the new Quick Settings the feature for "Power Efficiency" with a toggle from Off to On. After the upgrade, I saw that this is flagged as "On" and thought "okay, whatever".

After listening to everybody's discussion on the lack of battery power on ICS (and a search on the internet showed that ICS tends to drain batteries on more than just our little 1400 ma Thunderbolt), I wondered just what the heck this "Power Efficiency" does.

I downloaded the newest manual from HTC - nothing in it about this setting.

I looked thru Verizon's website and searched the web - nothing about how to configure it.

I tried to turn it off and it won't turn off (try it: flip it to off, close the quick setting bar and reopen it:  SURPRISE! It's back on again!!!)

So just what the heck is this thing, how do we configure it, and I hope I'm wrong but could this have an impact on our power drain (besides bad batteries and bad mojo)?

0 Likes
Re: Quick Settings -> Power Efficiency: won't change from "On"
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where is the Quick Settings in the Thunderbolt? I have that phone and I can't find it in the settings to test your question on my phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

It's in the notification bar pull down > Quick Settings tab in the lower right corner next to "Notifications." Mine is staying off if turned off and on if turned on.  I have no idea what it actually does. I read in a few places that it is supposed to turn off 4g and automatic synch but as far as I can tell that's not happening when turned on.  Since the option to configure power use at a certain battery level is no longer in settings I wonder if its something that becomes more usable when the battery is drained? Guess the easiest way to find out is let the battery drain down and see what happens and if you can toggle the Power Efficiency on and off at that point.  It could just be an override??

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I completely forgot about the notification bar and its quick settings. The "Power Efficiency" is turned off on mine. That does seem strange that a user can't access the specifics for that setting. I do think I can access a similar menu on my Nexus. I don't use though.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello rjstjohn1,

Thank you for your inquiry today. I understand how important it is to fully understand all features that are available on your recent software update.
The efficiency mode disables things such as wifi, gps, and unneeded background application to better improve battery life. This mode also will dim the backlight to preserve battery life. It is best to keep this to an "On" status to make sure you are preserving your battery life to its fullest. Please keep us posted if you have any additional questions, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
JRAHNBO2
Contributor - Level 2

MatthewS_VZW, is this something it does in general despite how high or low the battery charge is to manage the battery at all times or is it something that is supposed to kick in when the battery reaches a low level?. I let my TB get down to %10 where the red led was flashing and I got popups that my battery was low and should be charged.  However, unlike the previous behavior pre-ICS nothing was disabled. Wi-Fi, screen brightness, GPS, etc remained on.  As others have noted in other forums WiFi turns off occasionally when not using the phone for a while even with a strong battery charge. Since they've taken away the ability to configure power management in settings it's a little confusing what happens and when. Thanks.

0 Likes
rjstjohn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

MatthewS_VZW, that is the kind of support answer I would expect, especially for somebody in Politics.  Tell me the great things it will do, but don't answer my question.

Yes, I'm sure the Power Efficiency feature is a great thing, and that it should be turned on.

The question was simple: the new user manual doesn't specify exactly what this does.  Plus, once I toggle it to turn off, it remains on.

Why can't I turn this off if the feature exists to enable/disable on the Quick Settings menu?

0 Likes