Reduced Radio and 4G Data Reception Post-Update
adarnold542

Hi!  I've been having quite the adventure with my phone lately.  Before the update, I used to receive 4G with all four bars filled at work at my desk.

After the update, I've rarely been able to get 4G reception at my desk... Usually it is 3G, sometimes it is 1X, and sometimes there is no data connection at all (usually, of course, it blinks out while I'm trying to do something on my phone)... it is as if the update screwed with something in the phone to make 4G signal weaker.

At home, it is harder to tell because I live closer to the edge of 4G reception, but I noticed last night that the bars do toggle a bit more (the 4G reception itself is fine though).

I work in downtown Louisville, KY so I should receive good service as I had before... I'm near a window, and my building isn't particularly big nor is it near a lot of especially tall buildings.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Reduced Radio and 4G Data Reception Post-Update
Wildman
Legend

This is strange because my device has been holding it system well after recent update but as for 4G I am not a lucky one to be in a 4G area at this time but I noticed lastnight that I had 4G show for about a hour at my job so hopefully this mean they are wotking on getting it on line soon in my area..

Now ask for your issue I am unsure of a solution because normally I would suggest updating programming but I was told this isnt a good theing to do for a 4G.  Maybe you could try disabling LTE radio and reboor and then try turning back on because the device seems to update automatically when reinabled..  Give this a try.

0 Likes
adarnold542

I toggled the radio, took out the battery, reset the phone... none of it is working unfortunately 😕

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

adarnold542 wrote:

I toggled the radio, took out the battery, reset the phone... none of it is working unfortunately 😕

When you said you reset the phone, are you meaning you restarted device or hard reset the device by wiping everything and set device back up?

0 Likes
adarnold542

hard reset.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

adarnold542 wrote:

Hi!  I've been having quite the adventure with my phone lately.  Before the update, I used to receive 4G with all four bars filled at work at my desk.

After the update, I've rarely been able to get 4G reception at my desk... Usually it is 3G, sometimes it is 1X, and sometimes there is no data connection at all (usually, of course, it blinks out while I'm trying to do something on my phone)... it is as if the update screwed with something in the phone to make 4G signal weaker.

At home, it is harder to tell because I live closer to the edge of 4G reception, but I noticed last night that the bars do toggle a bit more (the 4G reception itself is fine though).

I work in downtown Louisville, KY so I should receive good service as I had before... I'm near a window, and my building isn't particularly big nor is it near a lot of especially tall buildings.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Hello adarnold542! I'm here to help with your phone. If this is still an issue for you, please let me know. You can post here or send me a personal message. Thanks!

0 Likes
adarnold542

Thanks Dion!  It had cleared up for a bit, but it started doing it again yesterday afternoon.  I have no idea why.

0 Likes
DrDroidDre
Enthusiast - Level 3
Help me please. same issue
0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks to both of you! Since this is the same issue in both cases, I can use feedback from one of you to lift this up for review.  Can either of you please send me a personal message with your name, number and a good time to call? Thanks!

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I have the same problem. I use my TBolt as a hotspot for my laptop at work. Before the MR2 update, I almost always had a good, consistent 4G connection about 80 to 90% of the time and it would occasionally drop to 3G for a short period, then pick up 4G again. Since the update, the situation has reversed and I'm in 3G about 80 to 90% of the time and can't keep a 4G connection.

I can also tell you that the solution I use to fix it is one that Verizon tells us not to use. Before the update, I always used LTE onOFF to choose my connection and always used CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto which gave me a good 4G signal. Since the update, Verizon has added their own switch and is telling us to uninstall any third party apps such as LTE onOFF. Unfortunately, Verizon's switch doesn't work as well, so now I have reinstalled LTE onOFF and I now set it to LTE mode and it seems to force it into 4G. That seems to keep me in 4G most of the time again, but when it does drop out, it goes to 1x instead of 3g.

I know it's not the location because I had a good 4G signal in the same location before the update. When I'm in LTE mode with LTE onOFF, the Verizon switch still shows LTE/CDMA because it doesn't have a choice of LTE only, only CDMA only.

Maybe I'm not suppose to be using a third party app and maybe it's not suppose to work, but it seems to keep me in 4G a lot more consistently than Verizon's built in switch.

0 Likes