Replacement HTC Rezound - HTC Mail App taking over from Gmail
IBAChicago

My replacement HTC phone (insurance replacement) has some odd setting I cannot figure out.

1. Gmail account associated to phone set up correctly - it is associated with the gmail app and comes up in it - but ALSO comes up in HTC Mail app (that might be good or bad, bad could be the double downloading of email - not sure and that that is not the primary problem).

2. two other gmail accounts do NOT go to the gmail app, they only appear in the HTC mail app, but in all other places, correctly show the GMAIL app icon, so the associations seem to be correct (and did check associations, it does say GMAIL with the gmail ICON)

3. my earthlink POP/SMTP account correctly goes to only the HTC mail app (no problem there)

There has to be some other setting that will assign the gmail accounts to the gmail app AND remove them from the HTC Mail app.

I looked at my old phone, the new phone, the internet.  There has to be some setting that is different on the Verizon/Assurion refrub phone that is different or I am missing.

Thank you for any help!

Mike

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replacement HTC Rezound - HTC Mail App taking over from Gmail
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Under settings>accounts &sync>add account, select Google instead of Gmail.  Then, select that account and turn off anything you don't want to sync.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Replacement HTC Rezound - HTC Mail App taking over from Gmail
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The gmail account you registered the phone with will show up in the Gmail app by default.  What you probably did after that was go to the accounts & sync menu and proceeded to add your Gmail addresses under Gmail there.  Instead, you have to add them under the Google heading.  I think you can also do this through the Gmail app, but I could be wrong.  If I remember correctly, it wasn't very easy to delete the accounts from the mail app, so you may have to clear data on the app and only add the other accounts.

0 Likes
IBAChicago

With the replacement phone I have, it is slightly different then my old HTC (which does not have the latest gmail update that came out a few days ago).  On the old HTC, there is an add account in the GMAIL client, but the new phone (newer version GMAIL) does not have that option.

I'm a bit lost, what do you mean Google heading?  Under all apps, I tried:

Google Settings (this seems new to me but nothing about GMAIL linking).

Google+

On the settings/App Associations/email, it does come up selected as GMAIL and everywhere has the GMAIL icon.

And yes, under:

settings/Account & Sync/Add Account, I selected GMAIL and followed those steps (I just did it on another account and it put it right in under MAIL again - there really are no other options on those screens).

I have done this numerous times in the past, the had to have changed something I am not understanding, it used to be very easy and problem free.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

0 Likes
IBAChicago

OK, this all has to do with the latest Gmail update...  for those of you getting a replacement HTC phone (although this could be with any phone) that has the updated GMAIL client

1. turn off auto updates (the more I see going wrong with apps, the more I am going this way so will only update one app at a time and see how it goes as Facebook update messes up the HTC notifications)

2. I went into settings/Apps/All/GMAIL and then uninstalled updates (so it puts this back to the original GMAIL app that came on the phone

3. in Apps/Accounts & Sync deleted all my gmail accounts that had the GMAIL icon next to them except the original one on the phone

4. went into GMAIL (the old one, the original that came on the phone) - did the Add Account (WHERE IT BELONGS GOOGLE - what are you guys doing over there?!) and added all my Gmail accounts.

Problem solved (well, let's call it testing it is 2 am here)

The other question is do I go back to the latest GMAIL update (google forum seems to say lots of other problems besides mine above.

Mike

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Under settings>accounts &sync>add account, select Google instead of Gmail.  Then, select that account and turn off anything you don't want to sync.

0 Likes
IBAChicago

demmo86rt THAT is exactly correct!  Wow, why you would not choose GMAIL is a mystery.  So let's catalog this for the next poor person that can't figure this out.

So now we have the work around and the real deal!

THANK YOU!

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You're very welcome, I remember having the same issue when I first set up my Rezound.  I would get two notifications for every gmail.

0 Likes