SD card ID not recognized when trying to activate phone
K-What

My phone recently gave out on me, so my friend gave me his old HTC thunderbolt. I have been trying to activate it for a 2 days. Everything goes fine until I get to the part where it tells me to enter the SD card ID. I do this, and it tells me that the code should begin with "89". There is only one series of numbers on the sd card, and it does not start with "89". How do I fix this? I can't call verizon to ask, because my phone isn't working.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SD card ID not recognized when trying to activate phone
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Well, the SIM card is what you need for activation. The SD card is just for storage. The SIM card should indeed have a number that starts with 89 -- it's the second line of numbers on the card. You may have to go to a Verizon store and pick up a SIM card if you don't have the right one. It's red, says Verizon/Vodaphone, bigger than the SD card, and should be underneath or next to the battery. Post back if you need further help!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Well, the SIM card is what you need for activation. The SD card is just for storage. The SIM card should indeed have a number that starts with 89 -- it's the second line of numbers on the card. You may have to go to a Verizon store and pick up a SIM card if you don't have the right one. It's red, says Verizon/Vodaphone, bigger than the SD card, and should be underneath or next to the battery. Post back if you need further help!

0 Likes
K-What

I feel incredibly silly. I was so excited to be having a phone again that I misread it. It accepted the sim card number. Thank you so much for pointing that out to me!

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

No problem! I've had a SIM in my phone for years and just saw it for the first time last week.   I'm glad it worked.

0 Likes
K-What

Okay, now I have a new question that hopefully you can help me with. I went through all of the steps. On my verizon profile, it now has a picture of the thunderbolt with my number. But I can't seem to call anyone one the phone. It rings a few times and then a robot lady says something about it not being activated.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It might take an hour or so to get activated fully.  Hopefully by now it should be working.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes