Separate Notification and Ringtone Volumes?
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

Are there any apps that enable separate volume settings for notifications and ringtones?  I'm talking about an app that enables this on the Verizon version of the HTC ONE, not in-general)  And, of course, I'm talking about "stock", unmodified, Verizon HTC ONE, since that's all that's relevant on this forum.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no"...but just thought I'd ask anyway, since I really miss this ability, which was standard on my previous phone, the Droid Bionic.

Why do I want this? Because at night I want the ringer volume to be loud enough to wake me, because if I get a call in the middle of the night it's probably important.  But I never get any "important" emails in the middle of the night, so I want to be able to lower the volume on those...low enough that the notification won't wake me up but still "on" so that if I'm still awake I'll hear it.

I have an app that I used on the Bionic, "AudioManager Pro", that creates sound-volume profiles, and it's great...but it can't separate the volume control for ringtone and notification.  This app does enable me to create profiles with different sounds for ringer and notification, so I can choose a sorta-quieter sound-choice (though same volume) for the notification in the "nighttime" profile...but this is an inferior solution.

Re: Separate Notification and Ringtone Volumes?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Stock Android combined the ringtones and notification tones in Android 4.0 and higher. The OEM manufacturers have to add the code to separate them again. I too used to use a audio manager app to quiet the notification tones at night and at work without affecting the ringtone volume. Since ICS, I had to adjust my tones and audio management to the new reality for sounds.

I haven't found another third party application that can get around the limitation. If there was one that could actually change the ringtone itself from a loud sound to a quiet one at certain times in each app like email, text messages, etc, I would be willing to give it a try.

I have noticed that the Samsung Galaxy S4 and its TouchWiz UI has been written to separate the ringtone and notification tone volume.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

Ann154 wrote:

Stock Android combined the ringtones and notification tones in Android 4.0 and higher. The OEM manufacturers have to add the code to separate them again.....

Hmmm.  Yes, it must vary by manufacturer then because my (Motorola) Bionic was/is running as-received-OTA 4.1.2, and its "Volumes" screen looks like the screenshot, below.  Too bad -- I don't see a value in fewer choices...becoming more like iOS.

And it's situations like this that lead people to doing things that can't be discussed here.  Oh well.

Screenshot_2013-09-08-07-54-23b.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HighDesert, congratulations on your upgrade to a new HTC One device! We don't want you to miss the things that you use to do. I apologize that this device is not embedded with the ability to modify the volumes of the alerts on your device. However, you do have the option of downloading compatible applications that will do this on your new phone. Have you attempted to download the
"AudioManager Pro" application from the Play market on your new device? Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

On the third party applications I have tried on other devices with a similar volume grouping that the third party app still can't separate the two volumes.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

HighDesert, congratulations on your upgrade to a new HTC One device! We don't want you to miss the things that you use to do. I apologize that this device is not embedded with the ability to modify the volumes of the alerts on your device. However, you do have the option of downloading compatible applications that will do this on your new phone. Have you attempted to download the
"AudioManager Pro" application from the Play market on your new device? Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If you'd read my first post you would have seen that I already have AudioManager Pro installed, and it can't separate ringtones and notifications.

This is why I never bother calling Customer Service -- complete waste of time.

simpsonsix

I know this was posted a while ago.... but Llama is a great program..... learns areas and adjusts phone accordingly even can quiet your phone at night (or at movies) automatically

0 Likes