Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
So...
Dnakaman
Novice

So...

 

I was just wondering...

 

Did any of you who swore by the second coming of Christ, get your "confirmed" update to Gingerbread today?

 

Inquiring minds want to know.????

0 Likes
Re: So...
shinobifunk
Member

Still waiting here...reboots and all

 

Everywhere I've seen from the big V says there's no specific date on when the OTA update will hit consumer phones.   They all say something like "It's coming, trust us"

 

Frustrating.

0 Likes
Re: So...
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Dnakaman wrote:

So...

 

I was just wondering...

 

Did any of you who swore by the second coming of Christ, get your "confirmed" update to Gingerbread today?

 

Inquiring minds want to know.????



I know that this is in the wrong area, but those that also swore... that Apple ALWAYS releases a new iPhone in June. Don't get the iPhone 4 because you will be sorry come June when the iPhone 5 will 100% positively be released?

0 Likes
Re: So...
Hangtime2
Member

I haven't posted anything this topic so far ... I am currently working with a CLNR Thunderbolt after my original Bolt started rebooting like a banshee a few weeks ago.  Fortunately before I sent my original back, my wife thought to call Verizon and convince a nice CSR to let me keep my original phone until the software update is released ... the plan being to update the original and return the CLNR device.  I've been watching these posts waiting for the update to come out ... I could care less if Gingerbread is included, I just want the May update reversed and my device restored to stability like it was when I first purchased it. 

 

Oddly enough, although this CLNR has the same update installed, it has only rebooted once and shut itself down once in the several weeks I've had it.  The only difference I've noted between the two devices is when I go to Settings: About Phone: Software Information and review the entries ... everything is the same except for the PRL.  On the original phone it's 1 and on the CLNR it's 15011. 

 

Dnakaman ,,. Regarding your original question ... although I asserted no confidence in a June 30 update (I sincerely wished for it to be true though) I have not received one yet and when I have the device check manually I get "No New Software Update Available."

 

I too share everyone else's frustration at paying what I pay for monthly service, plus the cost of the device, only to be treated to an update which has trashed my phone and caused a great deal of time lost in terms of multiple reboots, battery pulls, factory resets and the time it takes to get everything back in order after you've done so.  There are SO MANY apps that require a login and password, or an authentication code, or what have you ... I am not exaggerating when I say it takes six to eight hours to get the device back to normal after a factory reset or when you have to switch to or from a CLNR. 

 

I can understand why HTC and Verizon would be skittish about releasing a fixer update for fear it would be a second debacle ... so, why not quickly release an update which merely flashes the device back to way it was before the May update?  Then you would have the latitude to work on an MR2, Gingerbread or what have you and in the meantime at least folks like us would be okay for a while.

0 Likes
Re: So...
vereyezuhn
Sr. Member

rcschnoor wrote:


I know that this is in the wrong area, but those that also swore... that Apple ALWAYS releases a new iPhone in June. Don't get the iPhone 4 because you will be sorry come June when the iPhone 5 will 100% positively be released?



THERE'S STILL HOPE! No one buy the iPhone4 yet! The 5 is coming, I promise!!!

0 Likes
Re: So...
shinobifunk
Member

Hangtime2 wrote:

I've been watching these posts waiting for the update to come out ... I could care less if Gingerbread is included, I just want the May update reversed and my device restored to stability like it was when I first purchased it. 


Thank you, I just want my reboots fixed.  I really couldn't care less if Gingerbread was in this release or not either.   Your PRL only has to do with roaming, so it's not important in this case.

0 Likes
Re: So...
PJNC284
Sr. Member

shinobifunk wrote:

Hangtime2 wrote:

I've been watching these posts waiting for the update to come out ... I could care less if Gingerbread is included, I just want the May update reversed and my device restored to stability like it was when I first purchased it. 


Thank you, I just want my reboots fixed.  I really couldn't care less if Gingerbread was in this release or not either.   Your PRL only has to do with roaming, so it's not important in this case.


Technically it could be relevant.  The issue seems to be with the radio communicating with towers and causing a reboot.  The PRL controls how it utilizes the towers so it could be related.  Remember seeing others with a 1 as the PRL and pulling the battery and rebooting seemed to fix it.

0 Likes
Re: So...
Dnakaman
Novice

Hangtime2 wrote:

I haven't posted anything this topic so far ... I am currently working with a CLNR Thunderbolt after my original Bolt started rebooting like a banshee a few weeks ago.  Fortunately before I sent my original back, my wife thought to call Verizon and convince a nice CSR to let me keep my original phone until the software update is released ... the plan being to update the original and return the CLNR device.  I've been watching these posts waiting for the update to come out ... I could care less if Gingerbread is included, I just want the May update reversed and my device restored to stability like it was when I first purchased it. 

 

Oddly enough, although this CLNR has the same update installed, it has only rebooted once and shut itself down once in the several weeks I've had it.  The only difference I've noted between the two devices is when I go to Settings: About Phone: Software Information and review the entries ... everything is the same except for the PRL.  On the original phone it's 1 and on the CLNR it's 15011. 

 

Dnakaman ,,. Regarding your original question ... although I asserted no confidence in a June 30 update (I sincerely wished for it to be true though) I have not received one yet and when I have the device check manually I get "No New Software Update Available."

 

I too share everyone else's frustration at paying what I pay for monthly service, plus the cost of the device, only to be treated to an update which has trashed my phone and caused a great deal of time lost in terms of multiple reboots, battery pulls, factory resets and the time it takes to get everything back in order after you've done so.  There are SO MANY apps that require a login and password, or an authentication code, or what have you ... I am not exaggerating when I say it takes six to eight hours to get the device back to normal after a factory reset or when you have to switch to or from a CLNR. 

 

I can understand why HTC and Verizon would be skittish about releasing a fixer update for fear it would be a second debacle ... so, why not quickly release an update which merely flashes the device back to way it was before the May update?  Then you would have the latitude to work on an MR2, Gingerbread or what have you and in the meantime at least folks like us would be okay for a while.


 

 

Just so you know, my original post was kind of "Tongue in cheek".  I've been around Android since the very first Android phone came out and have been using android phones ever since.

 

My post was really just the "rebuttal" to all those who come to the forums quoting the "gospel" about how they were told that this day or that day an update would be released...guaranteed.

 

It's the same story with every carrier and I really just have to laugh when someone posts on here that they read it on this blog or this website that Verizon is releasing an OTA.

 

I'm sure when Verizon is ready to release an OTA, they will let us know.  I especially find it funny when a Verizon employee will post on here saying that there is NO planned OTA and people get all mad and say, "But the Droid blog said there will be an update today"

 

So hopefully no one takes my post too seriously.  The one thing that does ring true though is I do feel sorry for those suffering through issues that an update may correct.  Fortunately, i am familiar with Android enough to not have any real bad issues to deal with.

0 Likes
Re: So...
bearone21
Leader

be careful waht you wish for.

0 Likes
Re: So...
Hangtime2
Member

Dnakaman,

 

I'm totally with you, I understand where you're coming from.  I just wanted to use the opportunity to get my story out there as well and hopefully add to the "frustration pool" of people who are upset about this and maybe offer something constructive

 

0 Likes