THUNDERBOLT wifi error even after factory reset?
photographymommy91

I have an HTC Thunderbolt. My phone is no longer active however I have been using the wifi capabilties for some time now. A week ago after turning my phone on due to the dead battery I could no longer turn on my wifi. The little button that says on/off is gray and will not allow to me to turn on the wifi. When clicking on wifi when it says "wifi off" I will wait several minutes and then the only thing I get is a small "Error" below wi-fi. I have factory reset my phone numerous times and still nothing. I cannot access any wifi networks to forget them and restart, as that option is simply not there. I do not understand the issue and was hoping someone smarter than I that would assist me.

0 Likes
Re: THUNDERBOLT wifi error even after factory reset?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is odd. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions since I haven't seen a similar situation on my own Tbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

are you broadcasting ssid?

0 Likes
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

How do you broadcast ssid? I've been using WiFi for a while and don't see that as an option. To OP you might try toggling airplane mode. Do you still have your old sim inserted?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The SSID is broadcasted from the router.  If the SSID is hidden, most users won't know if there is a wifi hotspot nearby.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

with my older linksys w54g router, i can select to broadcast or not broadcast ssid on the linksys router setup page.

as ann154 has said, it prevents someone from driving by & seeing a wireless connection, if ssid is not broadcast but........

the t-bolt will not pickup the wi-fi signal if ssid is not broadcasting but my droid x will pick it up if i select other, enter

ssid & encryption code.

my original reply might have been cryptic, my apologies.

my primary has been the droid x but a friend gave me his t-bolt when he upgraded to the samsung s4.

i'm dinking with it on wi-fi, waiting for verizon to send me a sim card, then i'll activate/jump into 4g..

photographymommy91

I am broadcasting my SSID. I have the original sim card inserted into my phone. I still don't know...I cannot even get the wifi to turn on to even check for wifi surrounding me let alone my own wifi. When I power on my phone and go to settings and there is the wifi tab with the little slider for off/on I hit that and it says wifi turning on, after a few minutes of waiting the tab will go gray and under "wifi" it will say error. That is it...Strange as it may sound.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

do you have insurance?

0 Likes
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

Is your phone stock? Try clearing the cache from fastboot.

0 Likes
photographymommy91

How do I clear the cache from the fastboot?

0 Likes