Text from 502 - com.vzwdmserver
hemmer03

I've been getting a text for the last month or so from the number 502.  The text includes a number of unknown characters.  It ends with com.vzwdmserver.  Which made me assume this is a Verizon problem.  I went into a Verizon store and the rep had never seen the texts before.  His solution was to delete all the messages (including emails) from my phone and hope it went away.  Well, it didn't.  After doing some research today I found out I wasn't the only one, and called Verizon tech support.  I got passed to three different people, expected.  The woman on the phone came back after putting me on hold for a number of minutes to tell me that Verizon has an open ticket on the issue but no solutions have been found yet.  She told me to wait until August 16th, as it typically takes their tech team 14 days to figure out the problem, and if the texts have not stopped after that time to call back.  You have to just love Verizon.  She gave me the "Primary Ticket number" 4487520 to refer to when calling back for the same issue.  She said they assume it's an issue with the network board's response to some task being done on your phone... They don't know what the task is (could be simply opening a browser).  She said this issue is specific to Thuderbolt. 

I was surprised to see no posts on the Verizon forum.  I'm a little annoyed by this issue and the response to "wait it out" and call back if you still have an issue in a week.  I've been having the issue for at least a month. 

Anyone else having the same issue?  Anyone had better luck at fixing it than I? 

0 Likes
Re: Text from 502 - com.vzwdmserver
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

This is what I've found. Apparently it requires replacing your SIM card. Scroll down to post #3.

502 Text

Hope this helps

0 Likes
YaleK_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello hemmer03,

I would like to shed some light on the text that you are receiving as I understand the hassle that it can cause.  I can confirm the ticket is still active with our network team.  We are working on a way to change how the network interprets these messages.  The network sends a message to the device to inform it that a update is available and to download the update. These messages are normally seamless to the user and the device responds to it by completing the request.  We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible.  I will keep this forum active as I receive updates. 

0 Likes
donjud

For over a month I occasionally received the same text messages as hemmer03 received. In my case all of the messages were identical. On September 3, however, the text in the messages changed from illegible text that hemmer03 was receiving to a friend of mine's phone number. In other words, for several days the only thing in the messages are his phone number. Around that time my friend and I were trading messages, some with photographs in them. The mysterious 502 messages were received several hours up to a day different in the time than the messages he and I were sending to each other. I keep getting these messages with his phone number and it is getting annoying. Do you know what they mean and how to get them to stop?

Thanks,

Donjud

0 Likes
droid79

Is there anyone still having problems with this? I did have this problem also but it has not happened anymore in over a month now.

0 Likes
chris419
Enthusiast - Level 1

I changed my mobile number yesterday, and started to get these exact same messages, only the number it's coming from is 501-519-7028. Same garbled text and everything. Just wondering if there's been any progress in figuring out what it is? 

0 Likes
paul-dallas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem here on a Galaxy Nexus. Same scenario, I changed my number and now I am getting the strange vzdmserver messages. 

0 Likes