Thunderbolt Random Reboots and worse battery life after OTA
karmajack

Is anything being done about the widley reported random reboots and decreased battery life that's affecting Thunderbolts with the recent OTA update? 

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt Random Reboots and worse battery life after OTA

The problem with low battery life is probably that Wifi is activated and runs your battery down when searching. Disable Wifi until you are in a hotspot. Worked wonders for my battery life. "By George"

0 Likes
karmajack

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't ever use the Wifi.  It's not running. The battery on the TB was never great, but after the OTA it took a massive plunge.  Something about the OTA is making the phone buggier.  It's common knowledge throughout the phone's online community.  I'm wanting to know if there's anything VZW is planning on doing anything about it, or even acknowledging the issue.

0 Likes
dequardo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same problems after OTA. What's going on and when will this be fixed?

0 Likes
DougDave

I updated in a mostly 4G area in Northeast NJ, zero problems all last week while I was there.  I returned home to the Daytona Beach area of Florida and have had several reboots during calls (3 so far, wife has had similar problem with her Thunderbolt).  Battery life seems to be affected as well, however I cannot confirm with statistics as I keep it plugged in for much of the day when working.    I keep wi-fi off throughout the day, however 1 reboot seems to have happened overnight while in my home wi-fi network, so I would assume this is not only related to 3G towers alone.  Hope any of this information helps, and hope something can be done in the near future as the dropped calls due to reboot are very troubling. 

0 Likes
tiggervd
Enthusiast - Level 1

What I find really amazing, is that when I contacted customer service, they act as if I am the first person that has reported this issue. There are tons of people posting to various forums they have contacted Verizon or HTC and reported this issue, yet customer service acts as if they have never heard of the problem.  I also have had reboots and shut downs, not as severe as some, but still quite annoying.  There has to be a better solution than a factory reset which helps some but not all. People are reporting even after doing the factory reset, they are still experiencing the reboots.  I finally did the battery pull to see if that will help. I'm trying to avoid the factory reset since I have tons of apps that I would have to reinstall. Hope they find a solution soon!

0 Likes
aah0818

i got the update yesterday and since then my phone has rebooted 3 times successfully but today i was in the middle of texting and an error popped up from google. it asked me to force close or report problem like it normally does with an error... well this time i couldnt choose either option then my phone shut off and restarted by itself.. once it got to the thunderbolt start up part it restated again... it did this about 20 times until i called verizon and they said pull your battery... pulling battery worked for now but if it happens again im calling back and i am not gonna be happy this will be my 3rd problem in a week!!! and this phone i updated yesterday is a replacement phone too that they sent me yesterday not my original phone. ugh i am so annoyed!!!! of course i didnt have these problems until after my 14 day grace period of returning the phone passed if i had known i wouldve returned it right away

0 Likes
jeffpc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I noticed the same thing, reboots on its own and battery seems to die faster now.  How do we go back to the other firmware?

jeffpc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know it very annoying, I am almost to the point of stop paying for verizon, and swtiching back to ATT and my old phone.  I contracted for a working phone, not this piece of crap.  I may have 2 year contract, but nothing says I have to keep paying for a product that does not work as promised.  Worse case a credit ding on my report, disgusting to have to go this route, verizon and HTC really don't care else they would have made amends to fix or replace with different models.  Sad.

0 Likes
bobfireman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the random reboot problems, but I am using the extended battery and not noticing any battery life problem. 

Mine has reset while charging at home, while charging in my car, while I've been carrying it in a pouch on my hip, while in 3G service and while on wifi.  It has NOT done it while I was actually doing anything with it (phone calls, web, using apps, etc).  The battery has been anywhere between 100% and 20% when it's rebooted.

I have also noticed that when it reboots it comes back on in "silent" mode (no vibrate or tones), which I never use.  Mine spends 99% of it's time in vibrate mode. 

I hope they fix this soon.