Thunderbolt Restart Loop..?
K1llj0y

My phone currently has been in a loop of constantly restarting itself no more past the HTC white screen over and over without any hope of turning over and fully powering on. Its been doing this for almost two weeks now. It does go directly to the HBOOT screen when the power and volume down key is pressed, but any commands usually further it into restarting itself in the loop once again. Then hours later, it sometimes restarts itself. The latest time however, it wiped my phone. Any ways to correct this ongoing problem or is this the end of its life?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt Restart Loop..?
scubasteve02

My phone just started having the issue and it sounds a lot of this people with this phone are having this issue all of sudden. When this happens I have to remove the battery and sim card for an extended period of time and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

0 Likes
Thunderbolt Restart Loop..?
K1llj0y

That's something that just shouldn't have to happen. We need a clear cut solution.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi K1llj0y,

Let's see what's causing the problem! Which software version do you have? Here are the steps to check: http://bit.ly/Uq2cOy . Have you recently downloaded any new applications? When did the problem begin? I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Teenster
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've just left my service provider who tells me this is a software issue.
He suggested I first contact Verizon Customer Service to send it back to them on warranty rather than turn into my insurance carrier as the phone itself isn't malfunctioning, only the installed software.  BTW:  I googled the problem last night and it appears this phone is plagued with this problem.  I'm thinking my next phone will be one that's been on the market a while so the bugs can be worked out of it before I commit.  Best wishes!

0 Likes
Lauree25

My phone just started doing the same exact thing. Usually when I plug it in to charge it will start doing this. If I can actually get my phone to turn on if I remove the charger my phone will shut off and start going on and off, but never going past the white HTC screen. I went in and spoke with someone at Verizon and showed him my phone while this was happening and he knew what was going on with it and basically said I was S.O.L. He said that the Thunderbolts are good phones for a bit, but then they go bad, basically told me the phone was garbage. He said I could reboot the phone, but I would lose everything and thats if it would even fix the problem. He mainly said to find another phone to use while I wait for my upgrade which is actually 1 day before my contract is up, which I find funny. And now I'm hearing that if I upgrade my phone my contract I'm under now, and have been for the last 2+ years, will not be honored unless I buy the new phone at full price instead of the upgrade price. What a joke that is!  Now I remember why I left verizon 8 years ago in the first place.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Try Running your T-Bolt in Safe Mode ! )  See if that might stop the Issue.. b33

Safe Mode - Thunderbolt™ by HTC

Note Safe Mode temporarily disables all applications that have been installed via the Android Play Store (Formerly Market). Performing this troubleshooting step is necessary to determine whether a 3rd party application is the cause of an Operating System / Application issue. Safe Mode should always be performed prior to a hard (factory) reset.

Enable Safe mode
Disable Safe mode

Enable Safe mode

1. With the device powered down, press and hold the power button.
    Press and hold down the Power Key
  2. When the second HTC Logo screen appears, press and hold the volume down key.
    Press and hold the volume down key
  3. Release the volume down key when Safe mode is displayed at the lower-left.
    This may take up to 30 seconds.
    Device in safe mode
  4. While in Safe Mode, remove the most recently installed applications.
  5. Power cycle the device then attempt to use the device.
  6. If the device works properly, install applications one at a time to identify the application causing the problem.

Disable Safe mode

1. Press and hold the Power button.
    Press and hold down the Power Key
  2. Select Restart.
    Select Power off
0 Likes
dlav1

Okay so this is weird and doesnt work every time. I am also not sure it will be easy to do with a stock battery but I figure I will offer it and if it helps anyone that is as frustrated as me with this problem then it is worth it.

1. Take off the battery cover.

2. Press the power button.

3. Right when you first see HTC on the screen begin placing light, steady, downward pressure on the battery pushing it away from the contact points (I know... its counter intuitive but try it!)

4. Hold that steady pressure but dont break battery contact.

5. Release pressure when you see the "quietly brilliant" screen and it will start up the rest of the way.

I have found that this is the only thing that works to get my phone started and it only seems to work when the battery charge is high. Additionally, I have an extended battery so it gives me a ledge to apply pressure on. This may be more complicated with a stock battery. Not sure if this is just a my phone thing but I figured I'd share. If this helps you please let me know. I am curious if this will work for anyone else.

Good luck!

0 Likes
petertea
Enthusiast - Level 1

This worked for me.  My Thunderbolt goes into the reboot loop whenever I unplug it after charging for a while.  I'd already found that taking the back off seems to help, but had to apply the constant pressure (on the stock battery) to finally get it all the way up today.  I'm just hoping it lasts long enough for me to go to a Galaxy S !V when that comes out.  Not interested in another HTC phone!

0 Likes
petertea
Enthusiast - Level 1

Upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich (which I wasn't expecting!) fixed it all.  I'll hang onto the TB for a bit longer...