Thunderbolt SMS text errors after downloading update.
Jordan216
Enthusiast - Level 1

So far, after downloading the newest update for the Thunderbolt on Thu July 14th, I have been having more problems with the phone than I have ever had before. It seems like I am now consistently having THREE different problems with the Messages component of the software:

1) I go to select a conversation and it highlights the conversation when I tap the one that I'm trying to select, but it doesn't open it. Fairly often I have to hit it an extra 1-2 times for it to open the convo...

2) I select a conversation to open, and it opens a conversation for someone else. I haven't had any "calibration" issues with the touch-screen before AND it looks like it highlights the convo that I am trying to open, but then it seems to open another random person from my list of conversations. I'm pretty sure I'm not pressing the wrong one because many times, the one it opens is somewhere way down in the list when I'm just trying to select the most recent one.

3) I have a text conversation open and I know I have the correct one open because I am reading what the person said so I can reply to it. I type in my reply and hit send, and every once in a while it will take about 5-10 extra seconds to send and displays a small dialogue box that says either "Waiting" or "Sending" or "Loading" (I can't quite remember which one). Then the screen switches to a conversation with someone else and it shows that I sent the message to that other person that I didn't even have open. It does actually send it to the wrong person too because I have had someone ask me what I was talking about in my seemingly random text... Pretty frustrating, and now I have to be VERY careful of what I say in my texts because I don't know what random person it might get sent to. A little scary!!!!!

IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW UPDATE??? I have not downloaded any apps from the Android Market that modify my message layout or anything. I'm just using the stock Massages app.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thunderbolt SMS text errors after downloading update.
Jordan216
Enthusiast - Level 1

The recent software update seemed to fix this issue.

ChristinaB_VZW wrote:

Thank you for posting.

We completely understand the importance of this SMS issue and appreciate your patience. Please know that we have escalated this matter and a fix is upcoming. 

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Jordan216,

I know messaging is an important form of communication and can be a bit frustrating when not working properly.  I would first suggest to try to clear the data for the text messaging application by navigating to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Text messaging>Clear Data.  After clearing the data please power cycle the device and retest.  If that does not assist considering you have the most recent software I would then suggest doing a factory reset.  This will erase everything on the device so please back up if desired.  You may do so by going to Settings>SD & Phone Storage>Factory Data Reset>Reset Phone>Erase Everything.  The phone will prompt you to reactivate after the reset is done and I would like for you to observe the messaging after.  If this addresses the issue great, if not please let me know so I may further assist you.  Thank you. 

0 Likes
the14u2h8

I have done all that still have problems with this piece of junk u call a phone

0 Likes
Developer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I like to refer to that as text roulette.  It happens to me all of the time so I have to completely edit what I text to people just in case I send it to the wrong person.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you for posting.

We completely understand the importance of this SMS issue and appreciate your patience. Please know that we have escalated this matter and a fix is upcoming. 

Thanks again!

0 Likes
rkr42201

I am also having the same three problems as the guy above; every android that i have owned has done the "pull up a different thread than the one I tapped on" but thats not a big deal to me, but this sending txts to a random person is a BIG problem.  I honestly dont see how a factory reset well help the problem seeing how the problem occured from an update. Now I'm not a phone tech or a phone expert but even after a factory reset won't the update still be there that caused the problem????? Hopefully verizon is workin on another update to fix this and won't lead to any other problems.

0 Likes
AMYG44

i am getting com.android.mms errors every 2 seconds while trying to text. I barely have any txts saved in the phone. I went into applications and tried to find txt messages, but in the list of apps, i do not see txt msgs. is there anything else i can do? I have had my thunderbolt for 2 weeks. It worked fine the first week but this second week, i am missing others' texts and getting "force close mms" errors every minute. Should i replace the phone?

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Amyg44,

I understand the frustration with this issue. I have checked my references and I am not showing what you describe as being a known issue with this device. I would like to ask you a couple of questions if I may.

-Has any software been manually downloaded to your phone? If so, what is it?

-Is this happening with all messages, text, picture and video? If is not happening on all messages, do you notice a pattern with the numbers it does happen with? Are they VZW customers, users from a different carrier, etc.?

-How long has this been going on?

Please respond with your findings. I hope this information is helpful. Have a good day!

0 Likes
chunkeymonkey
I have all of these problems! The worst is the texts being sent to the wrong recipient! It's getting old... This phone has been nothing but trouble, this is my second one, I say its time Verizon switches us out for the Sam sung or LG...
0 Likes
chunkeymonkey
The text roulette is becoming more frequent. And my keyboard is not very responsive or intuitive, any good fixes for the keyboard at least?
0 Likes