Thunderbolt issues...
esco0101

Hi guys, new to this forum.  I came on seeking some help with my thunderbolt.  I bought it back in February and its been just down hill as the months went by.  Right now, I'm having CONSTANT "force close" messages during texting, sending texts messages is slow and opening a pic sent from a friend takes forever to open up and view.  It also runs SUPER slow going from screen to screen, sometimes not even detecting my finger input or the registration from it taking awhile to register.  And finally, as I've read many complaints on it, my battery life is, as Charles Barkley would put it, TURRIBLE!!!  I have advanced task killer but it doesnt seem to do anything as apps that I recently kill seem to pop back up.  A "battery life extender", obviously not working and an anti virus app thinking I mighta had a virus since my phone is running so slow.  I have cleared cache on my internet settings although surprisingly, my internet has been running pretty good.  Please, any advice or direction will be appreciated.     

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thunderbolt issues...
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

esco0101 wrote:

Hi guys, new to this forum.  I came on seeking some help with my thunderbolt.  I bought it back in February and its been just down hill as the months went by.  Right now, I'm having CONSTANT "force close" messages during texting, sending texts messages is slow and opening a pic sent from a friend takes forever to open up and view.  It also runs SUPER slow going from screen to screen, sometimes not even detecting my finger input or the registration from it taking awhile to register.  And finally, as I've read many complaints on it, my battery life is, as Charles Barkley would put it, TURRIBLE!!!  I have advanced task killer but it doesnt seem to do anything as apps that I recently kill seem to pop back up.  A "battery life extender", obviously not working and an anti virus app thinking I mighta had a virus since my phone is running so slow.  I have cleared cache on my internet settings although surprisingly, my internet has been running pretty good.  Please, any advice or direction will be appreciated.     

Hi esco0101,

I understand your discontent about your phone's performance. Third party application such as task killers or antivirus applications, may or may not work to your satisfaction (as indicated by some forum members) and installing any of them will ultimately be a personal preference. Since we do not support any third party applications we are unable to recommend any of them. However, I have provided some troubleshooting steps below that may resolve your concerns.

Text and picture messaging issues:

Clear messages data and cache Menu>settings>Applications>ManageApplications>All>Messages>ClearData & Clear Cache if available. Please note that this may remove all your messages, if you want to permanently save any of your text messages please email to yourself before processing these steps.

Runs slow:

Powering off the device on a daily bases helps resetting your phone and improves performance. Conflicting third party application may also slow down your device. You can easily find out if your phone's performance is affected by third party application if you run your phone in Safe Mode. Safe Mode temporarily disables all applications that have been installed via the Android Market. Performing this troubleshooting step is necessary to determine whether a 3rd party application is the cause of an Operating System / Application issue.

Battery life:

Please keep in mind that Smartphones provide a wide range of features, widgets  and services that consume your battery even when not being used directly (background) and the battery duration varies for every customer based on personal use and habits. We have received very positive feedback from customers who purchased an extended battery for their Smartphones (Please note that extended batteries are bigger than regular batteries and will alter  your phone's cosmetically appearance). You can buy an extended battery for your ThunderBolt device at the link below.

ThunderBolt™ Extended Battery 2750 mAh with Cover

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

esco0101 wrote:

dump the task killer and the battery extender. these are just more apps that run constantly, draining the battery. you can research task killers if you want, but i don't feel they are necessary and i've ran my old incredible for a few months with and a few months without a killer. my experience was that if there was any difference at all, it actually ran a bit better without it. the antivirus is up to you. i had avg for a while but it seemed to slow my device down a bit so i dumped it too. do you power it down at least every few days. i power it down daily after it charges. i have absolutely no idea if it helps or if it does anything, but i can say that mine runs like the day i bought it, and i have quite a few apps. you can try a third party keyboard (check this one out) as some of them are faster and smoother than the stock keyboard. if none of this helps you can take the drastic measure of a factory reset. you will lose everything (apps, settings, email accounts, etc) on the phones memory, but the data on the sd card will remain (pics, music, etc....if you store that stuff on the sd card). it will restore it to just like the day you bought it. also.....clear your text threads from time to time. if you have threads with 50+ messages back and forth, then you need to start deleting those periodically. if you don't want to lose them , there are sms and mms backup apps that will backup up the texts and then you can delete them.

0 Likes
ThunderboltWolf

Try out watchdog it doesnt just kill apps but manage your apps and shows the percentage of whats being used if a app gets to a 60% threshold you can kill that one app. Also the antivirus is not needed unless you are going to download from unknown sources and usually android market will have reviews on the bottom of that certain download. So if bad review make it a pass and if good frequent reviews means its trusted. Antiviruses do eat your battery so do task killers but Watchdog doesnt. just some advice.

hope this helps

0 Likes
nathang
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a FYI

Any app that monitors CPU usage, memory usage or battery usage, also uses your CPU, memory and battery.  The more you have monitoring it, the more resources your device is using.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

nathang wrote:

Just a FYI

Any app that monitors CPU usage, memory usage or battery usage, also uses your CPU, memory and battery.  The more you have monitoring it, the more resources your device is using.

this is true, but i've used watchdog in the past and it is very gentle on the battery. more so than your standard app killers and other monitors i've tried. it also only alerts you to the really hoggish apps (words with friends is my usual suspect...lol). it won't bother you with every single little app that runs. if nothing else, you could run it for a week and find your worst apps and decide if you really use them enough to want to keep them. then unisntall it.

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

esco0101 wrote:

Hi esco0101,

I understand your discontent about your phone's performance. Third party application such as task killers or antivirus applications, may or may not work to your satisfaction (as indicated by some forum members) and installing any of them will ultimately be a personal preference. Since we do not support any third party applications we are unable to recommend any of them. However, I have provided some troubleshooting steps below that may resolve your concerns.

Text and picture messaging issues:

Clear messages data and cache Menu>settings>Applications>ManageApplications>All>Messages>ClearData & Clear Cache if available. Please note that this may remove all your messages, if you want to permanently save any of your text messages please email to yourself before processing these steps.

Runs slow:

Powering off the device on a daily bases helps resetting your phone and improves performance. Conflicting third party application may also slow down your device. You can easily find out if your phone's performance is affected by third party application if you run your phone in Safe Mode. Safe Mode temporarily disables all applications that have been installed via the Android Market. Performing this troubleshooting step is necessary to determine whether a 3rd party application is the cause of an Operating System / Application issue.

Battery life:

Please keep in mind that Smartphones provide a wide range of features, widgets  and services that consume your battery even when not being used directly (background) and the battery duration varies for every customer based on personal use and habits. We have received very positive feedback from customers who purchased an extended battery for their Smartphones (Please note that extended batteries are bigger than regular batteries and will alter  your phone's cosmetically appearance). You can buy an extended battery for your ThunderBolt device at the link below.

ThunderBolt™ Extended Battery 2750 mAh with Cover

0 Likes
LADANIEL

I got a thunderbolt a few months ago and i got the fix in july and it has worked much better but yesterday i lost 3G service. Does anyone know why? I can only get on internet from my home wifi. I dont want to pay for service i cant use. also for some reason i have a handful of contacts that i cannot just text back the regular way. i have to have them text me first and then click on their number in the text and choose send sms txt message and that is the only way the text will come thru. anyone have any answers? it is so annoying and they are verizon customers also.

Please help

0 Likes