Thunderbolt vs iPhone
boltphone

I am due for an upgrade and my BlackBerry is making me crazy!  I am trying to decide between the Thunderbolt and the iPhone.  Any advice?  Btw - I live in the boonies and don't get great reception.

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt vs iPhone
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

its entirely up to you

remember a few things

iphone: lotta apps, no flash, have to have itunes.  no removable storage or battery

tb: lotta apps, flash, removable battery/storage, widgets

just a few things to think about

each serves its purpose, each are preffered for various reasons

0 Likes
rsuri2

Peruse the message boards here and you'll come to see that Verizon's 4G network is nowhere near ready for primetime.  Way to buggy and none of their 4G phones can maintain a proper data connection.

Stick with a 3G phone for now.  By the time your contract is up, they'll hopefully get this resolved.  My wife has a HTC Incredible 2 and loves it.

0 Likes
DbG2514
Contributor - Level 3

@rsuri2

I completely agree with this statement!

"Stick with a 3G phone for now.  By the time your contract is up, they'll hopefully get this resolved."

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you could still get the tbolt and just set t to 3g only. it would work just like a 3g phone then. another to keep in mind is that if you have poor reception then it will drain the battery pretty quickly. androids have poor battery life to begin with so you may prefer the iphone. 

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

rsuri2 wrote:

Peruse the message boards here and you'll come to see that Verizon's 4G network is nowhere near ready for primetime.  Way to buggy and none of their 4G phones can maintain a proper data connection.

Stick with a 3G phone for now.  By the time your contract is up, they'll hopefully get this resolved.  My wife has a HTC Incredible 2 and loves it.

Sorry if that's been your experience. Not trying to start an argument, I just disagree with your statement that none of their 4G phones can maintain a proper data connection, since I have no problem maintaining a connection using my TBolt. I'm not saying some phones don't have a problem, but mine doesn't and I doubt if mine is the only one in the country that's able to connect to their 4G network reliably. Verizon may have some bugs to work out of their 4G network, but at least they have one I can connect to now and not at some uspecified time in the future like my previous provider and I'm pretty sure the bugs will get worked out.

I don't know when 4G will come to your area, but if you knew it would be anytime in the next year, I'd get the 4G phone and turn on 3G only, then you'll still have the 4G available when it comes to your area. If it's going to be another 2 years, or you don't care about ever using 4G, that gives you a lot more choices.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i agree pat3332. 2 years in technology is a LONG time and i suspect that by then end of next year, people will think 3g is like dial up was when cable and dsl came out. i also have no cennectivity issues. i leave it on 3g most of the time as i travel around the area a LOT and when i drive through parts with spotty or no 4g, it kills the battery. but when i'm at home or the office i turn 4g on and it makes my wifi networks feel like snails. another thing to consider is that while apple has been announcing all kinds of new developments (many android type features will be coming with updates.....pull down notifications, OTA updates, a cloud environment for music and other files, etc, etc), there are 2 problems with this. first, these are all features of android that have been around for some time.....and second, verizon's iphone has been left behind in the updates. it's running a version of the firmware that i believe has been updated 3 or 4 times for AT&T. many of the things apple is now boasting about, the verizon iphone can't (and won't if they don't update it) do. it's become fragmented just like the android updates. 

i still don't think it's a bad idea to buy a used, cheap smartphone and activate it....and save the upgrade until you know for sure what you want.  

0 Likes