Thunderbolt - will not download Comcast POP3 email on 4G LTE but will on 3G
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

As the title suggests, my Thunderbolt will not download email from my Comcast POP3 account when the device is in the following mode:

Network Mode: LTE/CDMA

(which in my area generally always puts me in 4G mode.  This problem only happens in 4G mode.)

However, as soon as I switch the phone over to

Network Mode: CDMA Only

...to force the phone back into 3G mode, then it immediately begins to download my mail.

I have had this phone for at least a year, and have never had this issue until just recently, about the last two weeks.  It suspiciously started right about the same time that Verizon updated the phone software (OTA) to version 2.11.605.19 710RD.  I cannot swear that this is the cause, but nothing else on the phone has changed and they both seemed to have happened around the same time.  Right about when this update took place, my emails stopped downloading.

I have been troubleshooting settings and researching this issue now for 2 days.  No, my POP3 settings are not incorrect, I'm sure of it.  They have always worked exactly as I have them now with no issues.  Comcast has not changed anything on me in the last month.  And my settings match what everyone of the experts online say they are supposed to be.  Plus, the only time those settings don't work is when I switch to 4G (now with the new software version).  The phone also accepts my settings as well, and when bad settings are input I get errors.

Additional info: I have 2 of the troubled Comcast POP3 accounts on the phone (that both stopped working simultaneously), I have 1 other POP3 account on the phone that has never had any issues and continues to work flawlessly, 1 Yahoo (IMAP) account on the phone that has never had any issues and continues to work flawlessly, and I have 2 Gmail accounts on the phone that have also always worked flawlessly.  Just the Comcast accounts stopped, and only just recently, and only with switching from 3G to 4G.  All emails, nothing to do with large attachments (I don't download them).

Has anyone else with Comcast POP3 emails experienced anything like this?  Anyone got a cure?  Of all the threads I have read about people not being able to download Comcast emails on their phone, none of them mentioned trying to switch the network between 3G and 4G.  That seems to be my issue here.

I've actually just bought a new 4G phone (waiting for delivery), but not sure if the new phone will resolve any of this.  In the meantime I have to use 3G to get my emails which defeats the whole purpose of me having a 4G phone.

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt - will not download Comcast POP3 email on 4G LTE but will on 3G
jen0969

I am also having this issue and it started June 8th, 2012.  Only with the comcast accounts and my POP3 settings are correct as well.  I was able to get my mail when I switched to wireless.  My husband has the same phone and is able to get his comcast mail without issues.

0 Likes
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you anywhere near the DC/Baltimore area?  In another post entitled "Can't sync mail over 4G" some others indicated the same issue, and one indicated being in the Baltimore area, as am I.  Wondering if 4G in this particular area could be related to the issue?

0 Likes
jen0969

I am in Michigan.

0 Likes
tmanm

About 4-5 days ago similar problem developed.  I live in Connecticut.

Unable to retrieve comcast pop3 email messages through 4G.  When connected to Internet wireless all messages come through perfectly.

Strange that it just started.

0 Likes
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm interesting.  It seems so random.  The fact that it worked for me for so long without any hiccups at all, and then just simply stopped for no obvious reason is the most annoying thing of all.

Seems like VW would've had more complaints that I'm seeing.  Maybe it's just too recent of an issue.

0 Likes
jen0969

yes, I find that frustrating as well. My husband has the exact same phone and we checked all his phone settings with mine and they are the same but he has no issues with his comcast email account.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone

0 Likes
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems like a pretty straightforward troubleshooting path for Verizon Wireless....

Only Comcast accounts.

3G works, 4G doesn't.

All account settings work, at least on 3G.

Accounts all worked fine for a long time, but suddenly stopped around the same time in June 2012

All accounts using the built-in Mail app with the HTC phone.

That's a narrow enough search window to see what's changed.  Any help VW?

0 Likes
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

For anyone following this discussion.  I am working in York, PA today and decided to test this whole thing from this location.  It worked perfectly.

So add this to the equation, it definitely has something to do with the current location of the 4G network.  I tested this problem this morning in Baltimore and it still wasn't working.  In York, 95 miles away, it works.

Verizon Wireless, can you please comment and state what you are looking into if anything?

0 Likes
davemon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon Wireless?  Are you reading any of this?  Courtesy of a simple reply for those VW people viewing the forum?

0 Likes