Thunderbolt will not turn on
Raikuga
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Thunderbolt has randomly stopped functioning altogether. It won't turn on, and when I plug it in, the charging light doesn't even turn on. When I plug it into the computer, it doesnt make the sound that itd usually make when something gets plugged in.

I went to sleep with the phone turned on and charging as usual, and when I woke up, it was off and wouldn't turn on. There was nothing I did to the phone to turn it off myself or anything like that. It just randomly turned off.

I've been searching for a solution but I didn't find anyone with the same problem as mine. My only guess is that this might be a messed up battery. Does anyone know if this is some other type of problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thunderbolt will not turn on
Raikuga
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got some third-party new batteries in the mail. My phone finally turned on, so it was indeed a defective battery that was causing my problem. Though, it seems these batteries are getting especially low lasting times, like 3 hours of use with 11% screen brightness. I don't know if it's a problem with the phone or just these being cheap batteries. I guess I'll find out when I go to get this original battery replaced.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
moxjr

This has happened to me 3 times since the newest update a week ago.  Is this happening to a lot of people?

The only way I could get it to turn back on each of the 3 times is do a battery pull.... getting pretty annoying

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Did you remove the battery and put it back in? 

0 Likes
Raikuga
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I even had the battery out for the entire night last night. (This happened Saturday morning)

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I know you have to hold the power button down for nearly 5 sec before the unit will light up.

0 Likes
nathang
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know about the rest of you, but I did the leaked MR2 a while ago and that solved a lot of issues.  My phone doesn't randomly reboot nor does it randomly drop 4G.  The battery life lasts me a full day with normal use.  I use the LGE ON/OFF app and make good use of it when not in a 4G area.  I also don't run Live Wallpapers anymore.

I've said it once before, the Android Dev community does 100 times better work than Verizon when it comes to doing fixes and updates.

The problem comes when HTC releases an update it goes to Verizon for them the reveiw and "tweak" it.  Tweak as in add any extra bloatware crap that is not included in a HTC vanilla release.

If you want a working update, I suggest you go to the Dev sites and get the leaked MR2 update.

0 Likes
Raikuga
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I held the power button. There was no change.

I think nathang posted in the wrong thread...

0 Likes
JerseyJ

I had the same issue, although slightly different circumstances.  I recently bought 2 Thunderbolts for me and my son.  After putting the phones in an enclosed area for about 6-8 hours (Locker, wall safe, etc...), the phones goes dead and only a battery pull will wake them up.  This happened to BOTH phones on different occasions.  I suspect the Thunderbolt is continually polling for a signal (or something like that) which completely drains the battery?  Any help from Verizon would be appreciated. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

budone wrote:

I know you have to hold the power button down for nearly 5 sec before the unit will light up.

Yeah I had to learn that the hard way myself.. :smileysurprised:  Spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why after I powered it down it wouldnt poser back up but it was because I wasnt holding button long enough.. 

0 Likes
Raikuga
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got some third-party new batteries in the mail. My phone finally turned on, so it was indeed a defective battery that was causing my problem. Though, it seems these batteries are getting especially low lasting times, like 3 hours of use with 11% screen brightness. I don't know if it's a problem with the phone or just these being cheap batteries. I guess I'll find out when I go to get this original battery replaced.

0 Likes