Thunderbolts resetting or turning off completely
mmarchese

Good morning!

Several co-workers of mine recently acquired HTC Thunderbolts and they have been complaining to me about their phone randomly turning off and not immediately turning back on at random intervals.  The only way to turn the phone back on is to take out the battery, keep it out for 10-15 seconds, replace it and then turn the phone back on manually.  Other times they complain that the phone will randomly reboot itself for no apparent reason.  There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to it.  If it were only one phone I would consider it a bad unit but since 3 people are complaining of similar issues I'm thinking it may be something else. 

Has anyone else had any problems similar to this?  Since I ordered these phones for them I'd really like to get this sorted out soon without waiting for the Gingerbread update. 

Thanks in advance!

Matt

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolts resetting or turning off completely
jcag10
Enthusiast - Level 2
The last software update fix all the problems,
0 Likes
mmarchese

I checked for software updates on the phones.  It reported that there were none. 

0 Likes
jcag10
Enthusiast - Level 2
THE SOFTWARE ON MY TB IS:
ANDROID VERSION:2.2.1
BASEBAND VERSION:
1.39.00.0627r,0.01.69.0625r

JUST COMPARE !!!
0 Likes
mmarchese

The version is the same.  

I've checked with a couple other users who have this phone in the office and they haven't had any problems with theirs.  I'm beginning to think this may be hardware related.

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.  

0 Likes
Dnakaman
Contributor - Level 1

mmarchese wrote:

The version is the same.  

I've checked with a couple other users who have this phone in the office and they haven't had any problems with theirs.  I'm beginning to think this may be hardware related.

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.  

Wouldn't it be easier to just have your co-workers call customer support themselves to resolve issues with their own phones?

If it is indeed a hardware issue, customer support should be able to help them.  If anything, at least they will have a history started on the issue with customer support, just in case they are unable to resolve the issue down the line.

0 Likes
TheBigDog143
Enthusiast - Level 2

mmarchese,

I feel your pain!:manmad: My 'Bolt is about to go under my wheels.  I have this problem about 5 times/day.  It will either get stuck in a loop between the HTC boot screen and the "Thunderbolt" screen.  Or, it will launch programs at random and then I receive the "HTC Sense" app has failed Force Close or Wait message.  Additionally, the thing launches about 15 programs at start-up that I HAVE NOT SET TO START AT ALL!!!

Regarding jcag10 and his post that stated:

"THE SOFTWARE ON MY TB IS:
ANDROID VERSION:2.2.1
BASEBAND VERSION:
1.39.00.0627r,0.01.69.0625r

JUST COMPARE !!! "

Under "Software update"  I get

"Status

Source:  Verizon Wireless

Name:  1.170.605.0

Code:  200

Date:  07/24/11

Time:  08:40 PM"

I haven't found the 'Droid version lately...then again I can't get on my phone consistently either.

Also, the phone will ring and I cannot answer it or I'll be on a call and the 'Bolt will have a seizure and drop it!

I would appreciate help, as well.  After I send this message, I'm going to the Verizon store where I bought this and get some answers!  (BTW...I have already done the "factory reset" TWICE!)

Don

0 Likes
TheBigDog143
Enthusiast - Level 2

Matt,

OK...I finally got the 'Bolt to work so I could find the Software information.  My info states:

Android version--2.2.1

Baseband version--1.39.00.0627r, 0.01.69.0625r (exactly like jcag10 showed)

Kernel version--2.6.32.21-g0606a3a

htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Thu Apr 14 11:59:44 CST 2011

Build number--1.70.605.0 CL343953 release-keys

Software number--1.70.605.0

Browser version--WebKit/533.1

PRI Version--1.41_002, 1.64_002

PRL Version--15011

ERI Version--5

ALSO!!!

My wife has the same version of the 'Bolt which was purchased on the same day (launch day) and she has had exactly ZERO problems with hers.

Additionally, mine will go from 4G-LTE to 3G to 1X for the mobile network even after a reboot/battery removal reset.  I actually have to remove the battery, the Micro-SD AND the 4G Card and then put everything back in reverse order for it to give me 4G-LTE again!

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
It's frustrating when ur phone just shuts off or texts to someone but someone else receives it not because u typed the number wrong. I ❤️ the thunderbolt but dislike what it does at times. Rebooting too.
0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

mmarchese, I know the individuals who are experiencing this issue are frustrated because this can be a huge inconvenience. I have researched your issue and found this issue was reported to our product team and HTC. They are currently working on this issue and a fix but in the meantime, the individuals who have the devices or account owner can contact us from an alternate phone for trouble shooting. 

Additionally, I wanted to list the link to the last software update: 

http://support.vzw.com/system_update/thunderbolt.html

0 Likes