Turn off email notifications?
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Hi guys, just got the ICS, no particular problems with it, except that I'm back to my original problem, which is that I can't figure out how to turn off the email notifications without turning off other things.  I had it handled before ICS (although I don't know what I did to achieve it), but now I'm back to having a sound and vibrate whenever I get an email.  I don't mind the notification when I get a message - that's helpful - but I don't care about any notification at all when I get emails.  Can you walk me through that?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Turn off email notifications?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

OH! You are using the Yahoo app for your email.  The settings notification for that app is stored in there and not the stock "Mail app. 

A friend who uses the Yahoo app was actually not getting any notifications for their email and had to re-install the app to see if it would fix the problem.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mail > menu > settings > notification settings > uncheck the boxes as needed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Hi Ann,  "mail" where?  If I go to the icon for the mail app, it just wants me to set up an account, and I already have that.  I can't find any other place to go.  If I navigate to personalize>sound>notifications, I can get to a place for email, but although I can choose a sound, there is not a selection for "no sound".

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you just use the Mail app or the Gmail app for your email?  If you already have an account in the mail app, those instructions should work on the Tbolt.  I was going through the steps on mine as I wrote it here.

The gmail app is different.

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

I have the gmail app, but I rarely get email there.  It's there primarily because it's the only email app I can figure out to send photos to others.  My primary mail app is Yahoo.  So I have the Yahoo icon for email, and it's the one I'm mostly interested in turning off the sound notification for.  I don't mind a vibrate notification, but I don't want the sound.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

OH! You are using the Yahoo app for your email.  The settings notification for that app is stored in there and not the stock "Mail app. 

A friend who uses the Yahoo app was actually not getting any notifications for their email and had to re-install the app to see if it would fix the problem.

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks Ann.  I rebooted my phone, and it appears to be back the way I wanted it, but I don't know what is different from the initial boot after ICS loaded.  I am going to go to a Galaxy SIII in March, so I guess I'm not going to worry about figuring this out any further.  Thanks for the fast response.

0 Likes