Updates
danna21j

I have been having some serious problems with my phone lately. It over heats and turns itself off, the screen goes black, and now I can't turn restart ir or switch to airplane mode using the on/off button on the top of the phone.  After doing some research, it appears my phone needs to complete an update.  I try to update and get an error that says server unable, check for software update under settings when service is available again.  Is this something I can fix on my own, or do I need to take it to a store?

Android version 2.3.4, software version 1.26.605.11

The total space on my SD card is 7.39 GB, available is 6.30GB

Thanks in advance for the help!!

0 Likes
Re: Updates
budone
Legend

You could do a factory/master reset and that would force any update you have hanging out there. But you will lose any pictures, music and such you have saved on the internal memory

0 Likes
Re: Updates
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there danna21j!

You've reached the one stop shop where fixing it at home is made easier. Of course, I'm very sorry about the software update not processing correctly and the other issues but we'll get you going again in no time.

Now, some of the issues you've described about the phone power cycling, screen going black, inability to switch to airplane mode, etc., are potentially related to needing the most up to date software. And thank you for updating me with both your software version and memory. Based on that information, we do need to get you the newest software and you do have enough available memory. First, may I ask if you ever have issues with data? A software update does require a stable connection which may be why you receive a "server unavailable error". If you're holding onto a data connection no problem, we will need to look at a hard reset http://vz.to/xCo3Hk . Just be sure to backup your information to Backup Assistant, your Gmail account, or any other services you utilize prior and let us know how the new install goes.

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes