Upgrade killed my phone now Verizon wants me to pay.
mrbowler30

They sent the upgrade in the middle of the night. I did not request nor approve this upgrade. I still have 3 months left on my contract. With this upgrade my phone turns off by itself. Battery reads as dead and shuts off. If I let it sit for 30 minutes and turn it back on I have full battery (without plugging it in). I never had an issue until the update. I have spent 3 hours on the phone and at the store. They tired a factory reset but that did not fix the issue. It died again in the store in front of the Verizon personnel. The were nice enough to tell me I was eligible for an upgrade for a new phone but my contract is not due for another 3 months. They want me to spend 299 for a new phone and renew my contract. So because Verizon approved this upgrade and sent it out I have to renew my contract and spend money. This is such a SCAM. I wonder how many people have the same or similar issue? We need to get together as a group. One person yelling does nothing. Many people yelling gets heard. Does any know a good class action lawyer? I will find one. WOW while on the phone with Shanna I informed her that I would be recording the call and she said she would have to end the call if she was being recorded. Then she states that Verizon records all calls. So I tried to get her to explain to me why I cannot record the call when she is already being recorded. All she did was stumble around the question. How much you want to bet when my lawyer contacts them for a copy of the recording it will be missing? I will be asking my lawyer if I can record with out letting them know if they already know they are being recorded.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade killed my phone now Verizon wants me to pay.
aurica_n226
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow that is so awful, I'm sorry this happened to you.

This is exactly what VZW does. If there is ANY kind of problem they will automatically blame you, and refuse to help in any way possible.

It is just disgusting.

The only way anyone seems to have any kind of effect on these heartless, emotionless, money consuming robots, is to complain about them to the FCC or the BBB.

I have seen results from this way on this forum. (Supposedly)

0 Likes
kbark
Contributor - Level 2

I know it's easy to think verizon blames the customer but that is not the case.  The update was released by android but pushed to your phone from verizon since the update has to go out over the network.  If all the troubleshooting did not work which I see that you posted was done..they should be able to replace the phone even if you are out of warranty.  Now this is one if the reasons why people should look into extended warranties/insurance on the phones but that's another discussion:)  Just try again to calmly explain to them the phone was working fine before the update and if needed, make sure you are speaking to tech support.  If that still does not get you anywhere then ask to speak with a supervisor.  Usually if an update comes out and the phone did not take well to it and trying to fix it does not help..they should be able to replace.  You cannot record the calls cause that is violating the rep you are talking to etc. but I believe it states in the service agreement you cannot record the representatives etc.  Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Dorkmaster
Contributor - Level 2

It had the same thing happen to my HTC phone, when the ICS update went out, it did not install properly, fried the phone. I went to local store and talked to their techs, they said Verizon was not responsible and will not fix the phone for free.

0 Likes
kbark
Contributor - Level 2

That stinks!  I know this doesn't help now but just call customer service/tech support over the phone.  You usually get more help from them than at the store when it comes to stuff like that, especially since the stores no longer have actual tech support...it's all sales and customer service now but even the customer service at the store says to call over the phone...crazy!

0 Likes
ronzos

<Duplicate post deleted for cross posting violations and for discussion of device hacking per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.  See https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/935765#935765 for the original message.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Not applicable

The update normally sits on the device until YOU answer the "Do you want to install update xxxx" in which case you have the control over the upgrade or not.  However the update its self may not have been the issue and your cell could have been having problems prior to your post about an updatecausing the cell phone problem. You also did not say what phone it was you had an upgrade problem with.  Additionally you have lost your Class Action rights due to the US Supreme court ruling in favor of AT&T in fact all the major corporations are now making arbitration the way they settle disputes. You can however sue the company (Verizon Wireless) in a small claims court or for greater money and effect in your state Supreme Court. You may win by yourself but you cannot have a million people joining in to get a $25 credit on your bill. The lawyers are the only ones who make money via class action not you!  If you believe the update did the damage, and I would have my doubts if its just you having the toasted phone, and a few others have the same problem with the exact same phone model, of which you have not said the make then it could as I said above your phone and not the upgrade.  In any case you don't have to sign a new contract if you pay full price and place it on your account. You need a subsidy then you play Verizons game.  Its that simple

0 Likes
Not applicable

Mea culpa...I see this is an HTC posting.

0 Likes
smeeds5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the SAME problem plus.  Certain names and numbers were simply frozen - could not text them and when they text me, I couldnt open them up to read them.  I contacted Verizon and they sent me a 'new' refurb.  I spent 1hr 45 mins at the Verizon store last night getting my data moved to the 'new' phone.  I plugged the phone in overnight as I always do, and this morning within 2 hours had no battery life. 

Now when it updated origianlly at 4am (yes it woke me because thunderbolts well.... make thunderbolt noise when turned off and on) and in my dazed and confused state I must have hit the ok to update button.  So I asked at the store last night, because the phone was returned to me without the new software update, if the update would try again and refreeze / fry my phone.  And the rep said, well yeah most likely.  I suggest you just keep declining the update.

ok I can do that but what about my battery now?  and how long can i decline ?

oh and yes of course,I am eligible for a new phone... my 2 years are up.

mrbowler30

Since this is a thread for HTC Thunderbolt I did not think I had to state which phone I had. Also the phone did not ask to do the update and if you read other posts you will see others were not asked as well. It woke me up at 3 am when it was rebooting. As far as losing my rights I have lost nothing. If enough people get together I am sure another cell company would take us in, since the only thing verizon would care about is loss of revenue. My phone did not have any issues before the update. After the update my phone would just turn off no matter how much battery was left. If you let it sit for 30 minutes and turn it back on you have the correct amount of battery. After fighting I did get a replacement phone and guess what.. it did not have the new update on it. Kind of strange. If verizon was so confident in the software you would think they would make sure all phones had the update. ... We all have to play verizon's game. verizon... we need more money coming in, lets approve this upgrade that we know will mess up the phones then people will have to get a new phone and extend their contracts. Customers... we just got screwed. Welcome to verizon's (and I am sure other companies) game. Also not all phones have the update pushed to them or even offered. A friend has the same phone with verizon and no upgrade and when he manually checks it does not say an update is available.

<< Post edited to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes