VZW Rep told me that Thunderbolt is NOT getting the 2.3 update?!
skerfan2284

I spoke with a VZW tech rep today, and he told me that the Thunderbolt is not on the list of phones to get the update! Is this true?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VZW Rep told me that Thunderbolt is NOT getting the 2.3 update?!
Not applicable

Tidbits,

Hi there! I wish we had an exact date for the Gingerbread update to the Thunderbolt.  I really do.  We typically get notified by HTC and our product team about one day before a release begins.  This is to ensure as many unforeseen roadblocks can be avoided. There can be delays as well, so the date is not given weeks or months in advanced. Our product teams have a strong focus on getting the software released as soon as possible.  

I can assure you that we will make it known, loud and proud, as soon as we get official word!

Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I love how things are lost in translation...

1.  Thunderbolt will get 2.3.X there is already leaks for 2.3.X.  HTC has already expressed the Thunderbolt will get it.

2.  There is no list with any carrier on which devices will get any update.  It all starts with the MANUFACTURER.  When the manufacturer gives the code then it's Verizon who will FOTA it when it passes all the checks...  Then it'll end up on the list and the low techs will know about it.

So don't worry about it.  It'll come when it's ready...  Starting to sound like the Fascinate update that people believed it would never come........ 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

please don't compare it to the fascinate.....which took about a year to get froyo....lol :smileywink:  i don't want to wait a year...lol

0 Likes
Not applicable

Tidbits,

Hi there! I wish we had an exact date for the Gingerbread update to the Thunderbolt.  I really do.  We typically get notified by HTC and our product team about one day before a release begins.  This is to ensure as many unforeseen roadblocks can be avoided. There can be delays as well, so the date is not given weeks or months in advanced. Our product teams have a strong focus on getting the software released as soon as possible.  

I can assure you that we will make it known, loud and proud, as soon as we get official word!

Thank you!

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

AdamE_VZW wrote:

Tidbits,

Thank you!

1 day notice from htc? please verizon has the release months for testing prior to release.

heck there is an leaked copy of an official gb release out there for the fascinate, so i know there is something in the works for the tb

verizon is just horrible at communication

why cant they say "we are currently beta testing it from htc"  or something similar

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Are u all thinking the gingerbread is relative to fixing rebooting issues or are there different ones for each.
0 Likes
kclc111

That doesn't mean that the product team/developers can't release the general information such as round-about, hopeful, or expected dates. 

Anyhow, I've got a theory that is inline with what I think Verizon's marketing practices have been.  It is just a theory though.

Verizon is waiting to push the GB update until after it releases its next line of 4g phones such as the Bionic.  It is trying to curb new customers from purchasing a lower priced phone, with the same OS and similiar capabilities like the Thunderbolt.  The Q2 rumor-date that most of you are familiar with has come and gone, without so much as a peep publicly. 

My only point is that my $500 alarm clock doesn't work because my phone shuts its self off in the middle of the night.  Instead of replacing my phone with another that I know will have the same issue, I remain waiting patiently for the day Verizon publicly announces when they will push the OTA update with GB or at least a fix for my phone.  Do you think a Verizon Rep should write me a excuse-note for my boss next time I am late? 

Much like they did with releasing the Thunderbolt after the Iphone, I believe they are holding Gingerbread until after they release their next line of 4G LTE phones, such as the BIONIC, probably preloaded with Android 2.3.#.  If I had to put money down on when the update comes, I would say a week after they release the Droid Bionic, to keep customers from purchasing a lower priced Thunderbolt running the GB update.

I do like my phone when its working smoothly, but I don't like Verizon's policy of not updating information to their consumers.  I think most customers would prefer  to know what is going on with their products instead of being for the most part ignored. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

kclc111 wrote:

That doesn't mean that the product team/developers can't release the general information such as round-about, hopeful, or expected dates. 

Anyhow, I've got a theory that is inline with what I think Verizon's marketing practices have been.  It is just a theory though.

Verizon is waiting to push the GB update until after it releases its next line of 4g phones such as the Bionic.  It is trying to curb new customers from purchasing a lower priced phone, with the same OS and similiar capabilities like the Thunderbolt.  The Q2 rumor-date that most of you are familiar with has come and gone, without so much as a peep publicly. 

My only point is that my $500 alarm clock doesn't work because my phone shuts its self off in the middle of the night.  Instead of replacing my phone with another that I know will have the same issue, I remain waiting patiently for the day Verizon publicly announces when they will push the OTA update with GB or at least a fix for my phone.  Do you think a Verizon Rep should write me a excuse-note for my boss next time I am late? 

Much like they did with releasing the Thunderbolt after the Iphone, I believe they are holding Gingerbread until after they release their next line of 4G LTE phones, such as the BIONIC, probably preloaded with Android 2.3.#.  If I had to put money down on when the update comes, I would say a week after they release the Droid Bionic, to keep customers from purchasing a lower priced Thunderbolt running the GB update.

I do like my phone when its working smoothly, but I don't like Verizon's policy of not updating information to their consumers.  I think most customers would prefer  to know what is going on with their products instead of being for the most part ignored. 

lower priced? they are still selling them for $250. how much do you suppose the bionic will cost??? 

i'm going to throw out my own crazy theory. maybe....just maybe.....they haven't fixed the issue. and maybe they are actually having problems fixing it. maybe they don't want to push another bad update. the rumors were that they have been testing it since the end of june. maybe they figured out that their update is no good, and it's back to the drawing board. people are running leaked versions of GB and still having the reboot issue.

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Azsaluki

While most of the time i agree with your posts, this one not quite.

If they are still having issues with getting GB to run on the Tbolt maybe their developers should be fired.  I know for a fact that there are several ROM's out there with no reboot issues, so why is it that XDA developers can get things to work but the "Developers" at HTC cant?  I am all for thorough testing, but cmon GB has been out what 9 months already?

{edited to comply with Terms of Service}

0 Likes
kclc111

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't quite thought of it that way.  I was under the belief that they had dropped the price, but of course you still could go the route of wirefly, amazon, or the others out there.  Still, the Bionic could very well go for $299 like the Droid Charge or at least be evenly priced with the TB via Verizon's website/stores.  I do believe the agreement that Verizon & Apple had affected the release date of the Thunderbolt so as not to affect initial sales of the Iphone.  As the days count, it is not to far-fetched to think that maybe there is something similar going on between Motorola & Verizon.  I could easily see Verizon using Android 2.3 to generate sales on their new devices over their old ones. Especially on one that may be their next flagship phone.  As the end user of the TB, I will probably have to wait a little longer. 

That being said, regardless of the opinions or theories that may follow, I think everyone would appreciate a more open policy in regards to product information.  I would be a more satisfied customer if they told me, "Sorry, we have to re-develop the next update because of issues and that will take a couple months." vs. "We are working diligently and we will have it fixed/addressed soon(indefinitely)". 

Plus, the whole reason I purchased the Thunderbolt the day after it came out was because I was under the assumption it would be the first to upgrade to 2.3. on Verizon's network.  Especially since the pre-launch hype led people to believe it would ship with 2.3.

0 Likes