Watching video on your thunderbolt on a TV
bigpatsfan

When I purchased my Thunderbolt I was disappointed not to find a HDMI port however, I was told that I could stream video to my TV I just needed some sort of wireless adapter.

Has anyone done this and if so what do I need to purchase?

Thanks in advance for your response.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Watching video on your thunderbolt on a TV
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

bigpatsfan wrote:

When I purchased my Thunderbolt I was disappointed not to find a HDMI port however, I was told that I could stream video to my TV I just needed some sort of wireless adapter.

Thanks to the community members for your valued input. Bigpatsfan, it depends on what kind of the TV you are connecting to your Thunderbolt if you need to purchase any additional items. I would recommend checking with the manufacture of your TV for information related to your TV. In most cases does need an adapter for it to work. The steps needed for setting up a DLNA connection to watch TV via your device are provided below. The sharing photos, videos, and music with a bigger circle of friends are easy on your home network all via DLNA®. For more information about DLNA, visit www.dlna.org.

Before you share media through your network:

1. Connect your phone to the network via Wi-Fi. To find out how to connect to a Wi-Fi network, see Wi-Fi

2. Connect the TV or speakers to the network.

3. From the main screen tap Menu.

4. Tap All Apps.

5. Tap Connected Media

6. Tap desired option to share: Music  - Photos - Videos

7. Open the Gallery or Music app.

8. Locate the media that you want to share, and then tap it.

9.  While viewing the photo or playing the video or music, press MENU, and then tap "Select player".

10. Choose the device on your network where you want to play the media.  

11. Once connected to the other device, your phone opens up the Controller screen where you can tap the desired control.  

To stop sharing your media, tap the On/Off icon to disconnect your phone from the other device. While playing a media on another device, you can press BACK and do other things on your phone. To return to the Controller screen, slide opens the Notifications panel, and then tap the device you’re connected to and there is more reference information available via the user manual available at this link

View solution in original post

0 Likes
michchris
Enthusiast - Level 2
I use an app called imediashare. It's easy to set up and acts as a server through your home network. It also has a few free channels you can watch. You do have to have either a smart tv or an xbox 360 or ps3 to be able to stream it though. Not sure wat kinda setup u have but this works great for me and never buffers or shutters even wen playing a hd show off of one of the channels. They have a free version of the app which is wat i use and a paid one. Try the free one and hopefully it works out for you. Just search imediashare in the market of course. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
BakerGeckos
Contributor - Level 3

FYI: Smart TV or XBOX means it has to support the DLNA feature/protocol.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i don't suppose i could run this app from my phone through a wii???

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The WII does have DLNA support but from this post there is still methods to get this to work.....

Check this out and see if it helps... http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/75952/playon-gets-nintendo-wii-support

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

bigpatsfan wrote:

Thanks to the community members for your valued input. Bigpatsfan, it depends on what kind of the TV you are connecting to your Thunderbolt if you need to purchase any additional items. I would recommend checking with the manufacture of your TV for information related to your TV. In most cases does need an adapter for it to work. The steps needed for setting up a DLNA connection to watch TV via your device are provided below. The sharing photos, videos, and music with a bigger circle of friends are easy on your home network all via DLNA®. For more information about DLNA, visit www.dlna.org.

Before you share media through your network:

1. Connect your phone to the network via Wi-Fi. To find out how to connect to a Wi-Fi network, see Wi-Fi

2. Connect the TV or speakers to the network.

3. From the main screen tap Menu.

4. Tap All Apps.

5. Tap Connected Media

6. Tap desired option to share: Music  - Photos - Videos

7. Open the Gallery or Music app.

8. Locate the media that you want to share, and then tap it.

9.  While viewing the photo or playing the video or music, press MENU, and then tap "Select player".

10. Choose the device on your network where you want to play the media.  

11. Once connected to the other device, your phone opens up the Controller screen where you can tap the desired control.  

To stop sharing your media, tap the On/Off icon to disconnect your phone from the other device. While playing a media on another device, you can press BACK and do other things on your phone. To return to the Controller screen, slide opens the Notifications panel, and then tap the device you’re connected to and there is more reference information available via the user manual available at this link

0 Likes
MIKEDIEZEL

I'm trying to mate the TD with a 7" LCD Screen and it does not have a DLNA function. It's used for mobilitiy (i.e. in a car). I got a Micro USB to HDMI adaptor for it, but it's still not outputting. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

MIKEDIEZEL wrote:

I'm trying to mate the TD with a 7" LCD Screen and it does not have a DLNA function. It's used for mobilitiy (i.e. in a car). I got a Micro USB to HDMI adaptor for it, but it's still not outputting. Any thoughts?

The Thunderbolt does not support the video through the usb so the USB to HDMI isnt compatible....   HTC released a HDMI media adaptor that adds DLNA to a none DLNA supported TV...

Check Out http://www.expansys-usa.com/htc-desire-z-media-link-dlna-adaptor-dg-h100-incl-hdmi-cable+eu-plug-205...

0 Likes