Where are "Notification Sounds" located?
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Anyone out there know where the notification sounds are located (the ones you set for email,voicemail, msg, ectera) and if you do can you add your own like you can ringers? Hopefully you don't need "root access". I'd like to change sounds to the same ones I've been used to for the last few years instead of having to relearn what sound is associated with what event.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Where are "Notification Sounds" located?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You would change the sounds in each application, email, text message, gmail, etc.

As for custom sounds. This works best IMHO if you already have ringtone files (mp3, ogg, and others). With either your computer (phone mounted as a disc drive) or with a file explorer, create the following folders on your sd card. From there copy and paste the ringtone files to the folder of choice.

/media/audio/ringtones
/media/audio/notifications
/media/audio/alarms

When done disconnect your phone properly from the computer if you had it connected.
If done through a file explorer, reboot the phone.

Either way you wwill cause the phone to rescan the sd card. All your custom ringtones in those folders are now available in the ringtone selection lists.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You would change the sounds in each application, email, text message, gmail, etc.

As for custom sounds. This works best IMHO if you already have ringtone files (mp3, ogg, and others). With either your computer (phone mounted as a disc drive) or with a file explorer, create the following folders on your sd card. From there copy and paste the ringtone files to the folder of choice.

/media/audio/ringtones
/media/audio/notifications
/media/audio/alarms

When done disconnect your phone properly from the computer if you had it connected.
If done through a file explorer, reboot the phone.

Either way you wwill cause the phone to rescan the sd card. All your custom ringtones in those folders are now available in the ringtone selection lists.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks Ann......I'll give that a try... I already added ringtones from my old phone and browsed to the my sounds folder I added to the microSD card. I didn't see any option for browsing to anywhere on the set notification sound area. Does it just add what is in those to the existing sounds?:smileyindifferent:

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Tried & failed....then just made a notifications folder at the root of the sd card and it moved them!  probably couldn't find them in the sub-folder Thanks again Ann :smileyhappy:

0 Likes