about those new data plan rates......
AZSALUKI
Legend

not sure how accurate this is since it only cites droidlife and doesn't appear to have got any of the info directly from verizon, so take it as you will:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/21/verizon-unlimited-data-plan_n_881091.html

0 Likes
Re: about those new data plan rates......
Spiral
Master - Level 1

AZSALUKI wrote:

not sure how accurate this is since it only cites droidlife and doesn't appear to have got any of the info directly from verizon, so take it as you will:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/21/verizon-unlimited-data-plan_n_881091.html

Old news

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

They really should fire whoever came up with that pricing scheme.  Really doesn't make sense to have the cheapest tier at $30 for 2GB when they claim most people use much less than that.  Oh well, the QOS better increase substantially or they're going to have even more unhappy customers

They did release some good news today though. :smileyhappy:

http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/06/pr2011-06-21k.html

06/21/2011

RALEIGH, NC — Verizon Wireless announced today it is turning on the world’s first large-scale 4G LTE (Fourth Generation, Long Term Evolution) Network in Raleigh-Durham, N.C. on July 21, 2011. Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network is the fastest and most advanced 4G network in America.

The deployment of Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE in Raleigh-Durham, N.C. also provides LTE coverage throughout the surrounding areas of Cary, Apex, Clayton, Morrisville, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Gorman, Wake Forest, Rolesville, Knightdale, Wendell, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Garner and Smithfield.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:

They really should fire whoever came up with that pricing scheme.  Really doesn't make sense to have the cheapest tier at $30 for 2GB when they claim most people use much less than that.  Oh well, the QOS better increase substantially or they're going to have even more unhappy customers

06/21/2011

RALEIGH, NC — Verizon Wireless announced today it is turning on the world’s first large-scale 4G LTE (Fourth Generation, Long Term Evolution) Network in Raleigh-Durham, N.C. on July 21, 2011. Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network is the fastest and most advanced 4G network in America.

The deployment of Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE in Raleigh-Durham, N.C. also provides LTE coverage throughout the surrounding areas of Cary, Apex, Clayton, Morrisville, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Gorman, Wake Forest, Rolesville, Knightdale, Wendell, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Garner and Smithfield.

congrats pjnc! 20mbps is pretty nice!!! 

as far as the pricing goes (if this is even accurate), my guess is that they have figured out that $30/month is an acceptable minimum plan. i rarely us even close to 2gb's and would love to have a $20 plan for up to 1gb.....but they tried the $10 plan with media phones a couple years ago and then did those promotional $15 plans over the past holiday season. i suspect that they figured out that daily users of data are fine with $30 and that people that only pull email once in a while or download a game on a media phone will just pay the few bucks per month it costs to do those sorts of things. apps are getting bigger and the amount of data being consumed has drastically increased in the past year. i suspect that 2 years from now (i believe the average customer always signs the 2 year contract) 2gb's wont seem like much and we will all likely be using that much data???

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Spiral wrote:

AZSALUKI wrote:

Old news

i know we've speculated about this since last year, but i hadn't seen any of the mainstream media (much less verizon themselves) report it. we still have yet to see verizon confirm any of it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Since owning my Tbolt not only I finally gone over 1 gb, but I came really close to get 2 gb per month.

It would have been fairer if they had matched the 2 gb plan pricing to that other carrier with tiered pricing.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

but that's apples to oranges. you get what you pay for, as i believe you found out  :smileywink:

and it's still way better than $40/month for sprint's "4g"!!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

AZSALUKI wrote:

but that's apples to oranges. you get what you pay for, as i believe you found out  :smileywink:

and it's still way better than $40/month for sprint's "4g"!!!

At least it would help with the cost comparisons. Service wise, no question. Verizon IS SO MUCH BETTER HERE! Yeah $40 per month for 4G on Sprint, not so much. Eeek!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

PJNC284 wrote:

06/21/2011

I see they also announced that Wichita, Kansas will be getting 4G LTE on July 21st too. First Sioux Falls, SD and NOW Wichita? Where's Omaha, NE a metro bigger than both of those cities. (I think I might be getting impatient :smileywink: Oh, well.)

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

ha, I, too, am impatient.  I'm hoping they flip it a week or 2 early like they have with the others. :smileyvery-happy:  Granted I'll be in Wilmington July 1st-5th so I guess that'll have to be enough to keep me from going insane before launch.

0 Likes