managing physical memory
jpb83

I keep receiving messages my Thunderbolt's memory is low, i.e. picture gallery or email. When I try to enter the application to delete content I receive an error message telling me to delete content or application - sort of like an endless loop. How do get into the app to delete the content?

Thx.

0 Likes
managing physical memory
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go to settings > applications > manage applications > all tab > menu button > sort by size.  Go through each application one by one and press the clear cache button.  You should also note which application were the largest size and report those back here.  Knowing the largest ones will help determine the next possible steps to clear the memory.

Also it would also help to know which memory is full.  the internal or the external SD card.  Go to settings > Sd card & storage and report the internal and external storage available.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: managing physical memory
jpb83

Ann,

I am replying by email because I don’t know how to reply on the forum (I don’t see a reply button anywhere).

When I go to Manage Applications I have three applications – Apps (4.06MB), Google Play Store (9.41MB), HP ePrint Home&Biz (Internal Storage). The Clear Cache option is greyed out in all three instances.

When I go to SD & phone storage, I have 29.71GB Total space and 29.61GB Available space. For Internal storage I have 3.70MB Available space. I don’t see an External storage option.

Thanks for your help on this,

Pierre Bulhon

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't have only three applications loaded on the Thunderbolt. There are several pre-installed applications. Were you on the "All" tab of the Manage Applications area? See attached picture. Your storage numbers look even better than mine on the Tbolt. The external storage is the SD card.

IMG_20121009_230331.jpg

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jpb83

Ann,

You are correct. I was looking at the Downloaded tab. There are a large number of apps on the All tab. The largest app is Quickoffice (5.11MB), the next largest is VZ Navigator (4.60MB).

There is nothing on the SD Card. When should the SD card be used vs. internal storage?

Thanks again,

Pierre Bulhon

0 Likes
jpb83

Ann154,

When I attempt to launch VZ Navigator I receive an insufficient memory notice. Any advice on managing the memory on this phone?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have thought about this question for a while and the only thing I can think will definitely clear the error.  Unfortunately that is a factory reset.  I don't understand why you would get this error when you have more space available then my own Tbolt.

Before you do, try clearing the data for the email application.  You will have to setup your email accounts again, but it is less painful then a full reset.  Go to settings > applications > manage applications > all tab > scroll down to Email.  Select it and press the "clear cache" button and then the "clear data" button.

Also now that you have found the "all tab" in the Manage Applications, please go through and check each application and clear the cache for each app where you find it.

0 Likes
jpb83

Ann154,

I took my Thunderbolt to the local Verizon store and that’s what they did for me. They recommended turning the phone off at least once a week, which I was not doing.

Thanks for all your help,

Pierre Bulhon

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hopefully you aren't seeing the error message anymore.

As for turning off the phone once a week, that is a good idea even though I don't usually reboot my phone that often.

0 Likes