Kin Twom Phone and Message App Problems
mamcgoron

I have searched around and cannot find a similar problem to the one I am experiencing.  Yesterday, I tried sending some text messages, after typing my message I would try to send (tried via the on screen send button and the keyboard enter button), and I was always sent back to the home page.  I tried many times with the same results.  I finally decided that maybe I should try clearing out my messages.  I have only had my phone for 2 or 3 weeks, and I probably only send/recieve between 5-10 texts a day.  So I didn't think this should be a problem, but figured I should give it a try.  Well after some time, because it appears there is no easy way to delete ALL messages at once, I deleted my messages, and it appeard to fix that problem. 

Now, today, I have a new problem.  I cannot make a call by manually dialing a number.  As soon as I enter the phone app I am sent back to the home screen.  I have tried everything, and cannot seem to get the phone app to stay up for more than a half second (not quite enough time to dial a number). 

Is anyone else aware of these problems?  I am afraid I will have to take my phone back, and loose all my songs, contacts, etc.  :smileysad:

0 Likes
Re: Kin Twom Phone and Message App Problems
mamcgoron

Ok, so I am still having the issue with the phone app.  After entering it from the home screen within 1 second the app shuts down, and very slowly goes back to the home screen (it takes at least10 seconds and the apps show up one by one). 

I can make calls through my contacts, and am able to use the on screen dial pad from there, but still can not use the phone app to dial a number.

Is anyone else aware of this problem?  Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

mamcgoron wrote:

I have searched around and cannot find a similar problem to the one I am experiencing.  Yesterday, I tried sending some text messages, after typing my message I would try to send (tried via the on screen send button and the keyboard enter button), and I was always sent back to the home page.  I tried many times with the same results.  I finally decided that maybe I should try clearing out my messages.  I have only had my phone for 2 or 3 weeks, and I probably only send/recieve between 5-10 texts a day.  So I didn't think this should be a problem, but figured I should give it a try.  Well after some time, because it appears there is no easy way to delete ALL messages at once, I deleted my messages, and it appeard to fix that problem. 

Now, today, I have a new problem.  I cannot make a call by manually dialing a number.  As soon as I enter the phone app I am sent back to the home screen.  I have tried everything, and cannot seem to get the phone app to stay up for more than a half second (not quite enough time to dial a number). 

Is anyone else aware of these problems?  I am afraid I will have to take my phone back, and loose all my songs, contacts, etc.  :smileysad:

Please make sure to have your phone keyboard shortcut turned on. To reach the Phone settings screen, go to Apps > Settings > Phone. If your phone keyboard is set to OFF please change the setting to ON, as this may resolve your concerns.

You may find other helpful information at the link below that points to your phone's manual.

Kin TowM Manual

0 Likes
Leshley_OCD

I have a Kin One and I am having the same problem. Whenever I try to open up my Messages or Phone Apps, they begin opening and may appear to be working for a few seconds, then they close, returning to the Home screen. I am able to call people in already in my contacts. When I try to text them, however, it begins opening, then closes, returning me where I started. With certain contacts, it stays open long enough for me to attempt sending or deleting messages, but then it closes (usually) or just doesn't work. I sent several messages to myself from other phones which I never recieved (I didn't get any notifications or see the number of new messages change). I was able to call myself from other phones with no problem. None of the other apps appear to have issues besides the Email App which has always been glitchy for me.

I have tried:

• Turning my phone off and on
  • Turning my phone off, taking out the battery, putting it back in, and turning it back on
  • Applying a new theme
  • Turning wi-fi off and on
  • Turning airplane mode on and off
  • Turning phone shortcuts on and off
  • Calling *228 and updating
  • Leaving my phone off all night
  • Syncing my phone
  • Deleting many pictures and songs
  • Deleting multiple contacts
  • Changing system select
I am open to any new ideas. I will probably bring it in to a Verizon store soon if it doesn't start working.
(My friend said it sounds like a software problem.)

0 Likes
Leshley_OCD

I discovered I can send and recieve MMS, but still not SMS.

Now, I can open up the Messages App without it closing right away. I can even view messages. So, it appears that, if you are persistant, it things slowly start functioning again, but I am not sure.

0 Likes
Leshley_OCD

I gave up and erased all of the phone data which worked, I just didn't really want to. >.>

0 Likes
NJSchick

I would suggest you GET RID OF THE KIN as SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!  We had NOTHING but problems with the KIN from the first moment we received it!!!  It was replaced twice and NEVER worked well.  Keys freezing, screen going black, wouldn't switch to phone mode but went back to Home Screen... And the latest and greatest problem was that when NO ONE was using it for the internet, ONLY using Wi-Fi, IT STILL ACCUMULATED DATA USAGE CHARGES - which we are being charged for!!!  

We were told repeatedly by VERIZON tech people, IN THE VERIZON STORE, that the "phone is a piece of crap", "the software has all sorts of problems"... And our store's manager even told us we should completely switch to a different make and model phone!  Then we got 2 MONTHS of RIDICULOUS phone bills!!!  The ENTIRE TIME we had the phone, we got INCREDIBLY HIGH DATA USAGE CHARGES - when NO ONE WAS USING IT for anything other than phone call, texting. WI-FI, and the camera! Apparently, even if the phone SHOWS it's on WiFi, it IS GOING ONLINE and YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR DATA USAGE if you don't have a plan.  

It's a piece of garbage, and right now we're not even liking Verizon because they're telling if it shows usage, someone used it.  God forbid they actually folllow the advice their techs gave us: the phone's software is GARBAGE.  Even after so many of VERIZON'S EMPLOYEES told us the phone's software was F - - KED UP, they're telling us we have to pay.

Go to AT&T.  THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE ROCKS!

0 Likes