Crossing my fingers..found a solution to MMS issue on the LG G2
mullaneyrm9801
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, I've been pouring over forum posts here and elsewhere discovering that this MMS sending/receiving issue I've been having is not "just me" and seems to be an android/google issue with no future fix until at the earliest Sept.  I was all set to go to my local store and trade it in for a different phone.  The service guy there just happened to have the LG G2 as his own personal phone and was confused about this "issue" I was having.  He said he's had this phone since earlier in the year and never had an issue.  Even since the Kit-Kat update.  The biggest difference between how he uses his phone and how I was using mine is that he's always used Hangouts instead of the stock messaging app.  Since I read on here that a few others have had success with Hangouts...I figured I'd do a factory reset and start with Hangouts and see if that doesn't work.  Just thought I'd suggest this to others to try as a solution.  We'll see if it doesn't revert to messing up again in a couple days.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Crossing my fingers..found a solution to MMS issue on the LG G2
mullaneyrm9801
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was unable to send/receive MMS.  I went to the local verizon store, they did a factory reset and for now it seems to be working fine.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DJH06
Contributor - Level 1

The thing for me is that I don't want alternatives to the native app.   My original G2 from the vzw store was replaced 8 days after I bought it because I dropped it.  That like-new replacement from asurion worked perfectly since February... Even through the kit Kat update.   Then I experienced an issue with the earpiece and received a warranty replacement from vzw. 3 days after setting it up,  the messaging app started having issues.   Did a hard reset and 6 days later... Again.   I think it was possibly from the Google search update that came out at Google now improvements.   Only because it was the only app I updated prior to the issue starting.   So,  I wouldn't consider using Hangouts after a reset as a solution.   It's just an alternative.   Does the Hangouts still get the voice-mail error messages?  Hope it works for you but I don't like Hangouts.

mullaneyrm9801
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not aware of any voice-mail errors with Hangouts...I'm not even familiar with a voice-mail feature through Hangouts.  I get what you're saying about the native app should work and I agree, but for me I just need to have that feature, and if that app gets it done, then I'm there.  I do plan on trying to use the regular messaging app too to see if that messes it up or continues to work.  Frankly, I don't want to deal with a glitchy phone, so I want to try to make sure it's working regardless of the app.

0 Likes
mullaneyrm9801
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have switched over to the original messaging app and seem to be doing fine with it now.  Hoping it stays that way!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your feedback, mullaneyrm9801. What exactly is going on with your MMS on your G2? Can you keep us informed once you try the default.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mullaneyrm9801
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was unable to send/receive MMS.  I went to the local verizon store, they did a factory reset and for now it seems to be working fine.

0 Likes
bdod23
Enthusiast - Level 3

I took my Phone to the geek squad on June 29th. They did a hard reset and set my SMS messages to 200 and MMS at 50 to auto delete. All of my MMS Messages are still sending and receiving just fine so far. I'm not sure if they did anything else to the phone if I find out I'll post additional info.

0 Likes
DJH06
Contributor - Level 1

The issue with the LG G2 not receiving MMS is the same across the board for a lot of G2 owners.  The issue isn't any different. Some have found fixes or work-arounds, but no one has found a solution.  This goes back to a message I posted earlier in the forum community about VZW customer support not having good communication or a support page that provides them with issues.  Too many times I have read a reply by VZW support that asks what is going on, or provides a statement that says we want your device working correctly.  It appears to those who look to this forum for answers or suggestions, that VZW doesn't take note of this MMS issue for G2s.  The issue is that at some point, we lose the ability to send/receive picture messages through the native messaging app.  While no one has pinpointed an exact cause, the Tech Coaches have indicated there is a "known device issue" and that an software update is in the works.  Yet, I haven't seen any replies from VZW community customer support mention this to those writing in.  The lack of information that flows from customer support is troubling.  Nothing in this world is perfect.  While we all want our devices to work correctly, it is more about letting us know that you are aware of an issue and that you are attempting a fix for it.  Too many have no idea that there is a compatibility problem with the device.

stef7
Master - Level 2

DJH06, I think the problems are a bit more widespread with more devices than the LG G2. Particularly with MMS.

What I take exception to is the often rather flippant responses... For example, someone reports their phone is freezing, and a VZW rep indicates they want to help thaw out the user's phone, or they are "here to save the day", or some other unhelpful comment. It's very informal and doesn't yield new information for the submitter.

So is taking the discussion "offline" and requesting that a person "follow" the rep somewhere else, which defeats the purpose of having a community discussion where ideas are exchanged and problems are worked to resolution and others can benefit from them.

IMHO, they should have staff some true experts who supply detailed troubleshooting information and thoughtful replies.

mullaneyrm9801
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll follow up and say that my supposed "solution" turned out to be crap as I thought it might from reading previous posts.  Here we are 4 days later and it's back to not receiving picture texts.  I've talked to several people who have this phone and have never had any issues (even after the kit kat update)...is this just a lemon of a phone??  I swear I'm ready to jump ship to Apple!!  The KitKat update appears to be a major problem for many users of different devices!  I never hear of anyone with an iPhone complain of issues!

0 Likes