NHL Gamecenter Premium Upgrade
mcbamf

As a huge NHL fan, I use the NHL Gamecenter app quite a bit.  I recently upgraded my phone to the LG G2, and now I can't seem to get any of the content that comes with the Premium upgrade that I believe I'm supposed to get for free as a Verizon customer.  When I navigate to the section that has "Verizon Exclusive" content, I get a message that tells me I need to be a Verizon customer to access that content. 

So, from what I can tell, either I'm confused about the Verizon free premium upgrade, or for some reason, the app doesn't seem to be able to recognize me as a Verizon customer. 

Any ideas on how to get the free premium upgrade on my new device?

0 Likes
97 Replies
Moshland

Any update to this? 2015 with Droid Maxx and no luck... this is the first thread I found, so I'll keep searching elsewhere. I followed 'textbook' hoping to get the fix he/she used last year.

0 Likes
Thuddome
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure if everyone figured this out but I installed NBC Sports Live and was able to watch games. When you click watch games it launches the NBC app.

0 Likes
textbook
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well now that the NHL season is over, I just wanted to thank Verizon Wireless for nothing.  We went an entire NHL season with this issue brought to their attention and they showed their inability to resolve it.  All the while, they continued to advertise and promote this feature non-stop throughout the season virtually every time a hockey game was broadcast.  You couldn't watch an NHL game on NBC without seeing this promo commercial a handful of times. Then they upped the ante and started showing the promo as a pop up graphic bug at the top of the screen during live play during the game!  It annoyed me every time it popped up.  They shoved the promo down everybody's throats, yet when confronted with the evidence that it doesn't work for a set of devices on which it should, they never bothered escalating the issue properly to get it resolved.  That's the problem with promos, they're designed to get you to use Verizon.  They know we already use Verizon, so they have less incentive to fix the issue.  Well, I only use Verizon because my work pays for my plan.  This terrible customer service experience has taught me one thing, if I ever switch employers or have to pay for my own phone service, I know I won't be using Verizon.

Come this fall, I will most likely still be working where I do.  That means I will still have a Verizon plan paid for by my employer.  When the NHL season starts and I start seeing this promotion again (I think this is 2nd year in a row they've done it), I'll resurrect the thread and make another stink, because it's just ridiculous to offer a promotion and not back it up when it doesn't work for a set of devices.  Maybe next year you will figure out how to properly escalate and resolve a technical issue that can't be resolved by the end user.

0 Likes
mlv12785

I have the same issue on my g2. I believe the problem lies in How the phone displays the carrier. On the app setting my g2 says lge is the carrier and it does not work. On my s4 the carrier says the correct verizon wireless and it works. Both phones have verizon as the network provider via nhl app settings.

0 Likes
manntr01

I am having very similar issues.  Here are some notes:

Phone: Casio Commando 4G

Downloading over Verizon 4G connection (not wifi)

Unable to access NHL GameCenter Premium content

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, nothing changes.

I am prompted to pay a $4.99 subscription fee.

The app doesn't recognize me as a Verizon 4G customer.

It's the same thing everyone has been saying.  Any resolutions yet?

0 Likes
textbook
Enthusiast - Level 2

To everybody in this thread who wants some good news, follow me and send me a direct message.  While I do not have a solution to the problem posted in this thread, I have a workaround but I do not want to share sensitive information publicly.

0 Likes
textbook
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just spent over an hour talking on the phone with Verizon Wireless customer service (technical support).  I spoke to an agent/rep based out of Colorado who was able to access Verizon Exclusive content in the NHL GameCenter app just fine on his Samsung Galaxy SIII test phone.  When he used a brand new LG G2 test phone, he encountered the same issues with accessing Verizon exclusive content and NHL GameCenter premium features.  As he was able to reproduce the issue, he took further action by placing me on hold and contacting NHL GameCenter technical support, where the NHL GameCenter agent/rep was not very helpful.  The VZW agent then tried contacting LG support and they were not helpful either.  At this point, the call had been going for 54 minutes and this was on a land-line after 26 minutes previously talking on my mobile.  I asked the agent what my next steps were and he said he would try to talk to management about waiving the 30-day exchange restriction so that I can refund/return/exchange my phone for a different model.  I honestly do not like this solution because I love this phone and now we've virtually identified that this issue is affecting all LG G2 users, it should be escalated and investigated further, researched, and resolved.  The VZW agent is going to try to test the app with another G2 phone and call me back later today, although I'm not sure what he will be able to do or say.  No offense to this agent (who was awesome!), this appears to be a very technical issue strictly related to this model phone , and will need an engineer or developer with knowledge and experience for this particular feature (the identification and provisioning of this phone and app to communicate with the 4G LTE network and unlock the Premium upgrade).

For any Verizon Wireless representatives viewing this thread, here are some additional screenshots just for more proof that this issue is still occurring and asking us to do the same stuff like disabling wifi / making sure we have 4G LTE service is not an acceptable answer.

http://imgur.com/a/KqAKv

Screenshot_2014-03-11-10-32-41.png

Screenshot_2014-03-11-10-33-40_edited.png

Screenshot_2014-03-11-10-34-56.png

Screenshot_2014-03-11-10-48-27.png

Screenshot_2014-03-11-10-48-38.png

Screenshot_2014-03-11-10-48-47.png

0 Likes
Lance_L
Enthusiast - Level 1

i've got the same issues on my iPhone, but I have to say I don't find this thread very encouraging. I open the app, log in and choose a game with the graphic indicating I can watch. Then I get a screen offering "upgrade" or "try it free". Well, if I have "premium", why should I need to upgrade? Upgrade to what, "Super Premium"? When I select "try if free", it tells me I'm in a blackout area - even though the games are nowhere near my market. WTH?

Just as the others said, why take it to a private conversation? How about a fix, and then tell everyone?

0 Likes
textbook
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lance_L,

I do not believe you are having the same problem as others in this thread, including myself.  You joked about premium / super premium, but that's not far from the truth.  There are two different access levels for the NHL GameCenter app.  One is called NHL GameCenter Live and the other is called NHL GameCenter Premium.  Here are the differences:

Live: Live out-of-market game video, home and away broadcasts, access on multiple devices, all NHL GameCenter premium content

Current Cost of NHL GameCenter Live: $49.95

Premium: Live radio broadcasts, in-game video highlights, condensed game replays, full features listed at: https://insidersguide.vzw.com/inside/nhl/

Current Cost of NHL GameCenter Premium on a non-Verizon LTE device: $9.99

So, if you can stream live radio broadcasts of NHL games, you are not having the same problem as the rest of us.  You are correctly receiving the free Premium upgrade from using a VZW LTE supported device.  Not being able to stream live broadcasts of non-national NBC games is normal if you're not already an NHL GameCenter subscriber and signed in.

The problem all of us in the thread are having is not getting NHL GameCenter Premium on our Verizon LG G2, as well as one other poster reporting the issue on the Droid Razr Maxx HD.

So.. everybody, please understand the differences between NHL GameCenter Premium and NHL GameCenter Live, it will help us avoid false claims on other devices.  All I can personally say is I have an LG G2 and I know that I am having the issue as reported in this thread, which is no free Premium upgrade.

GamePunk429

I as well am having the same issue with my LG G2, I have installed on the 4G network and it does not recognize me as a Verizon Customer. As I can see from this topic it seems to be only related to the LG G2. Please advise.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GamePunk429, we never want you to miss a moment of thrilling hockey action! Have you tried powering your device off/on since you downloaded the application? Are you connected to Wi-Fi when you attempt to access it? If so, we recommend that you disable Wi-Fi and connect to our network to access the application. Keep us posted and click on http://vz.to/O1sVSg for more information regarding the NHL application.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

None of that stuff works Verizon rep. And the thing is the apps actually recognizes the phone is on the Verizon network when you look at the settings yet it continually states you need to be a Verizon customer. Instead of continually asking for us to do the same stuff over and over we already told does not work you actually get one of you tech people to try to access these features on a G2 to see what we are talking about then come up with a fix.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sirguy we want to ensure you can fully enjoy all the features of the app ASAP! We apologize for the trouble but we'll get it working! Please accept my follow request and send a Direct Message.

AshleyS_VZW

0 Likes
textbook
Enthusiast - Level 2

AshleyS_VZW, I have sent you a follow request, as I am having the same issues as everybody else in this thread with the LG G2.  Anything you would like me to do, please send a direct message.  Although, I agree with mcbamf that any troubleshooting that does not require personal / private information should be posted publicly in this thread so everybody can benefit from the information.

Here's my promise: If any VZW rep helps me via direct message, I will post the solution in this main thread as well.  Thanks!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks textbook. The difficulties you experiencing may be account specific. If you were able to send a PM, it will be sent directly to Ashley. As far as general troubleshooting, you could try clearing the cache for the specific app. If your other apps are working well, it would not appear to be device or OS specific. http://vz.to/1lnOL0s

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Thanks textbook. The difficulties you experiencing may be account specific. If you were able to send a PM, it will be sent directly to Ashley. As far as general troubleshooting, you could try clearing the cache for the specific app. If your other apps are working well, it would not appear to be device or OS specific. http://vz.to/1lnOL0s

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

I doubt it is account specific since A) the issue seems to be almost exclusively with LG 2 owners. B) This app works on other phones in my account and on my old phone which was an LG Lucid before I upgraded in January. If it was an account issue it wouldn't have worked on any of my phones.

0 Likes
mcbamf

Cleared cache for the app. No change.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@mcbamf,

Let's get to the bottom of this and get your app working right! I see you have already done a lot of troubleshooting including uninstalling the app and reinstalling it.

Let's try this one more time. Uninstall the app and reinstall. Make sure you that when installing the app you are not on WiFi. Make sure your using VZW network when installing the app. This should automatically recognize your 4G device and upgrade to the premium functions.

If after this you are still unable to access the premium content you will need to reach out to the app support at 866-210-6349. Keep me posted if you need further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

0 Likes
textbook
Enthusiast - Level 2

Myself and others in the thread have already done this multiple times, it does not resolve the issue.  I had a Verizon technical support representative reproduce the issue on his LG G2 as well.  Just look at the screenshots I've posted in this thread, the NHL GameCenter app already has an "App Info" which shows  Verizon Wireless as the network operator, lge as the carrier.

As for your suggestion to try contacting NHL GameCenter support, I have already tried that, this is the email I received from them:

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting NHL Gamecenter support with your inquiry.

The Premium App (provides audio ONLY) for $9.99 is only a mobile device app. The Premium App requires no creation of a username and/or password. Because so, It is only accessible on the device which you've purchased it.

If you are not able to access to the application, please force close the app then delete it . Once deleted, reboot your device and reinstall the app. After you reinstall the app go to the top left corner and open the menu. Then locate and select "Settings". In the middle of the settings menu, there is an option to restore purchase. Please select this option. Once the purchase has been restored you will be able to access the app without having to log in.

Please note, only Verizon users with 4G LTE devices (must be on the 4G network not WIFI) can download the Verizon edition of the NHL GameCenter premium app and receive many great features such as, access to nationally broadcast NBC (NOT NBCSN or CNBC) games, exclusive video features, and live streaming of NHL Network’s On the Fly.

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please call customer support at 1-866-210-6349 or +1-407-708-1356 for international customers.

Best Regards,

NHL Support

Ticket Details

I replied to that email saying that was not helpful and they replied with the same canned response.  I tried calling their customer support number and they told me to submit a ticket.  So that's what I did and it got me nowhere.

This is not your typical quick-fix customer support issue.  I work in I.T. doing technical support, I know how our favorite phrase is "have you tried turning it off and on again?" but this is not one of those cases.  This is a real problem that is not caused by the end user and cannot be solved by the end user.  This issue needs to be escalated to a developer or engineer with knowledge and experience with this particular feature of the NHL GameCenter app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@youskib4,

I can definitely understand how frustrating this has been for you. Let's get to the bottom of this and find a resolution.

You mentioned you already submitted a resolution ticket. What is the ticket number so I can review it? Once I access the ticket I will also have access to the account and will reach out to you for further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

0 Likes