Phone going crazy like someone else has control of it... Any fix or updates for this?
Shuey1971
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wifes LG G2 phone has been going crazy for quite some time now... Acts like some else has control of it. I've read in other forums that this is quite an issue with lots of other people and its a software issue but can't seem to find a fix for it. Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone going crazy like someone else has control of it... Any fix or updates for this?
Snn5
Legend

You can do 1 of 3 things, or all.  1:  use verizon's cloud to back up whats on the phone, like contacts, pictures and music etc...just know you only have 5GB of cloud space with VZW.  2:  Use Google.  Since you have a google OS and I'm sure her email is connected to the phone, all contacts will be backup up that way and you can use Google Drive since you have 15GB with Google to back up media and such.  The app settings are set to Google backup already.  3:  You can attach the phone to the computer and set to Media Sync/Device and back up everything media-wise to the PC.  I suggest doing this method though:  Use Verizon or Google to back up the contacts and the PC for media.  Its just faster and easier PLUS...when you RESET do the following:  Settings-- Backup and Restore--UNCHECK automatic restore.  This will keep your saved app settings from reloading and might help with any problem app that was on the phone.  After reboot you'll have a just-like out-of-the-box phone.  It'll take time for verizon or google to sync up and you'll need to disable whatever apps you had disabled previously as well as reset-up your preferences, but its the easiest thing to do rather than wait til Mon-tues for a replacement.  If this doesnt work, you'll definitely need to exchange.  And, since VZW is going to require you to reset the phone anyway you'll be ahead of the game.  IT IS POSSIBLE for you to call them on your phone and let them remotely diagnose your wife's phone, but I'm sure you'd need to reset before doing that out of privacy.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Phone going crazy like someone else has control of it... Any fix or updates for this?
Snn5
Legend

I've been patrolling this forum for quite some time now and have never heard of this.  I can say that if there is a drop of water on a screen that sometimes it reacts funny and seems like its being fought with between 2 users, the same thing happens with incompatible charging cables.  I'd look into any app that was installed near the time it started, maybe try safe mode, and try with no data or wifi connection.  I doubt you've been hacked by anyone, but that should cut the connection if say, you used Team Viewer remotely, or LogMeIn.  Outside of that, a factory reset would be my best bet.

0 Likes
Shuey1971
Enthusiast - Level 2

She does get the "Make sure your using the correct charger & cable" warning every once in a while. But she is using the charger that came with the phone. I have also read that others have done the factory reset but didn't help. And I have cleaned the screen several times and made sure there wasn't any damage to the screen but of course that didn't help either.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Did this begin recently, or after an over the air update? 

0 Likes
Shuey1971
Enthusiast - Level 2

She has NO IDEA... This is basically her 1st smart phone and she doesn't pay much attention to details. I own an iphone and don't really know anything about the android phones. All the help i can get is greatly appreciated!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

When did she get it and please tell me the version number by going to settings, either the menu button from home screen or the gear at top right of notification bar pull down, then go to the bottom to About Phone.  Then Software Version.  Look at top at Android Version.  I am on the newest at 4.4.2 and Build number...should be VS98026A.  If not, then back up to where About Phone was and select System Updates below About Phone, or it may be in About Phone if she didn't get the last update, as the last update placed system updates below About Phone instead of in the About Phone menu.  I know I had issues with other things after the last update and had to exchange the phone.  It was still under the one year without Asurion insurance, but if you have insurance it's covered forever until you stop service or stop the insurance.  If everything is current and a factory reset has been done and if you are under warranty, an exchange is about the only fix.

0 Likes
Shuey1971
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, system updates is current. We are still under the 1 year warranty. I haven't done a system reset yet because i'm not sure how to back up her phone so she doesn't loose all her stuff? Will the verizon cloud work for backing up?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You can do 1 of 3 things, or all.  1:  use verizon's cloud to back up whats on the phone, like contacts, pictures and music etc...just know you only have 5GB of cloud space with VZW.  2:  Use Google.  Since you have a google OS and I'm sure her email is connected to the phone, all contacts will be backup up that way and you can use Google Drive since you have 15GB with Google to back up media and such.  The app settings are set to Google backup already.  3:  You can attach the phone to the computer and set to Media Sync/Device and back up everything media-wise to the PC.  I suggest doing this method though:  Use Verizon or Google to back up the contacts and the PC for media.  Its just faster and easier PLUS...when you RESET do the following:  Settings-- Backup and Restore--UNCHECK automatic restore.  This will keep your saved app settings from reloading and might help with any problem app that was on the phone.  After reboot you'll have a just-like out-of-the-box phone.  It'll take time for verizon or google to sync up and you'll need to disable whatever apps you had disabled previously as well as reset-up your preferences, but its the easiest thing to do rather than wait til Mon-tues for a replacement.  If this doesnt work, you'll definitely need to exchange.  And, since VZW is going to require you to reset the phone anyway you'll be ahead of the game.  IT IS POSSIBLE for you to call them on your phone and let them remotely diagnose your wife's phone, but I'm sure you'd need to reset before doing that out of privacy.

0 Likes
Shuey1971
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will try all your suggestions later today... I will post results when done.  Thank you for all the suggestions!!

Snn5
Legend

Sure thing.  I have found the forums of much more use than calling, chatting, and waiting on VZW to answer forum questions in stages of "Canned answer, more details, wait....same old questions/suggestions "give more details" wait....give more details and still get no answer."  At that point it's been a week.  I will say that in most cases they just ask you to return the phone in the box that the replacement comes in and it's usually overnighted FedEx, depending on holidays and weekends.  Like I said, try this cause you wouldn't even get a replacement until probably Wednesday at this point.

0 Likes