Speedtest when connected to 4G?
jef400dread

Can someone that has the ability to establish and maintain a connection to the 4G/LTE network run a speedtest and let me know the results?

How does the LG G2 fair in finding a 4G network compared to other newer 4G (verizon wireless phones only) like the HTC One or S4? Anyone tried side by side speedtest on these devices connecting to the vzw 4G LTE network?

I'm shopping for a new phone, download speed, and antenna/radio quality are high priorities to me.

0 Likes
Re: Speedtest when connected to 4G?
lproxyl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Chicago-O'Hare areaScreenshot_2013-11-16-17-33-10.png

s_p_kay
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are a lot of variables effecting the results of a 4G LTE speedtest, I am guessing you are aware of that. Due to that reality the best way to test the relative performance of 3 or 4 phones is to have them in the same location and test them all in that location during the same time frame (not necessarily simultaneously but relatively close in time). Going to a Verizon store and asking to see the 3 or 4 models in question and testing them using OOKLA speedtest is a good start. I have an LG G2 and the results at my home location are good relative to my other 4G phones (Droid Bionic and Droid Razr HD). But an excellent antenna will help you get a 4G signal that will be useable where a crappier antenna may not provide sufficient signal strength to use the 4G connection. That kind of testing is really where you need to have the phones together in the fringe 4G coverage areas to assess the quality of the antenna itself. IMO the antenna designs for 4G seem fairly similar for the phones I have used so most of the time the speedtest simply reflects the 4G signal strength and quality of the location you are in and the current traffic on the tower at the time of the test execution. 

0 Likes
jef400dread

I agree with all of that. My reason for the question is to try to guess the quality of the antenna compared to other phones. My previous phone was a Samsung GNex. That phone, on my couch, would pull 25Mbps down on a good night. Within minutes, my father's iphone 5 would pull 36Mbps in the same spot (also using vzw's 4G network). After some hardware failure that vzw determined was my fault, I'm stuck with a loaner HTC Thunderbolt. The GNex would get 3G coverage at my desk at work, and see anywhere from 1.5-3Mpbs download speeds. *IF* this thunderbolt can find a data connection at all (intermittent throughout any given workday) download speeds are about 0.05-0.10Mbps at best. A coworker has a SGS3 and can get a (similar to my GNex) 3G signal in my work area anytime.

I was wondering if the LG G2 could top out above 30Mbps in the perfect conditions.

0 Likes