Voice Dialer in KK no longer understands "DIAL xxx xxx xxxx" Syntax
stef7
Master - Level 2

This is driving me crazy. The predecessor to KK worked perfectly when dialing by voice, either accepting CALL contact_name AT HOME | MOBILE, or DIAL xxx xxx xxxx syntax. Both were very reliable.

First - it appears they've removed the DIAL syntax. What?

Second - the voice recognition in the dialer is unacceptable.

LG G2 Voice Mate, and Google Search, and Swype's Voice Recognition all work very well.

The Dialer is a great step backward for the device.

Problems have been reported in Google Forums about the Dialer. There are evidently many, one of them being the dialer freezes sometimes at call end, or otherwise - there is a way to put it in a non-deterministic state if you hangup at just the right time.

We've waited so long for KK - we need an update already.

0 Likes
Re: Voice Dialer in KK no longer understands "DIAL xxx xxx xxxx" Syntax
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

stef7, Let's work to get your phone functioning properly. We're sorry to hear about voice recognition issues since the update. You can try and clear app data by going to settings, applications, keyboard settings, voice commands and see if that helps.

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Voice Dialer in KK no longer understands "DIAL xxx xxx xxxx" Syntax
stef7
Master - Level 2

Sheritah - Thanks for the response. I performed a FDR, but sadly the "Voice Command" element of KK has changed. It no longer accepts "DIAL xxx xxx-xxxx" syntax. The recognition quality may be better post-FDR. It's hard to say. The voice used for responses "command not recognized, try again"... is VERY bad. I liked the way it worked in JB very much, and in KK it's an element of the new OS experience that is very poor. And this phone was excellent under JB, so practically, from my perspective, the upgrade didn't bring significant positives to offset this negative behavior.

I've put in a support issue with LG... but I think it's a Google issue. Unfortunately, it's very problematic to let Google know an element of the Android System may have a problem. What we need is probably an easy way to replace the Voice Command that is called up from the Dialer, There may be a way to do that now... Researching it though is not an easy proposition.

0 Likes