Why is my wi-fi so slow?
pmk2
Enthusiast - Level 1

My G2 has VERY slow WiFi download speeds. Connection speed shows 72Mbs, but takes minutes to download 2 MB apps. Other wireless devices; including Verizon phones have no issues over same network & router. G2 has the same slow WiFi problem on other networks/routers. Thus only thing that's consistent w/ WiFi problems is the G2; changing routers doesn't improve performance and other devices work fine where the G2 fails.

Cold restarts doesn't change the problem. Device shows no available software updates available. FDR is only thing I can think of before sending this back to the store. Other options?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Extremely Slow WiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This a bizarre situation, pmk2. I'm actually using the G2 and I'm not having the same problems. The last step I would suggest before returning your device, would be to complete a master reset. Here are the instructions...http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/87344/ Let me know if this helps.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This a bizarre situation, pmk2. I'm actually using the G2 and I'm not having the same problems. The last step I would suggest before returning your device, would be to complete a master reset. Here are the instructions...http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/87344/ Let me know if this helps.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
creator
Contributor - Level 2

So here is my problem Half of my apps work on wifi. Youtube doesn't work and when it does it won't run second screen. Gmail will open but won't push emails automatically unless on wireless data.Texts also don't always come through as well when on Wifi. I also have a g2 and it started after update. Also my wife has a note 3 and her phone recently started doing the same thing. So not sure if the latest VZW updates are screwing with Wifi. But This happens at home and at work.

0 Likes
chrisdc83
Enthusiast - Level 2

Was this ever resolved? I'm having this same issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's pick up the pace, chrisdc83! Is the device consistently staying connected to your router? Have you tested the device on different routers? Are other devices getting optimal WiFi speeds at the same times your phone is struggling?

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
chrisdc83
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's maintaining a connection just fine and all other devices keep working fine. Also, other apps on my phone work great except for a select few. It also shows the same behavior regardless of what WiF I'm using.

0 Likes
chrisdc83
Enthusiast - Level 2

I accidentally left out that it's only a few apps that are affected.  Google Play Store, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.  Every other app works just fine and gets decent speeds.  But if I want an image to load on the above social pages (or any icons to load on the play store) I have to turn off wifi and use my data connection.  Yet, if I'm watching netflix or Hulu those apps pop up perfectly fine and stream in HD.  Also, this only started happening after upgrading to the latest OTA.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Any background data restrictions on any apps?  Are you using a VPN?  The connection speed to the access point may be high, but the traffic and # of other connections to that same AP may be high too.  Depending on the settings of the AP, it could limit speeds per connection, duration, time of day and types of content.  That usually pertains to public WIFI though.

0 Likes
chrisdc83
Enthusiast - Level 2

No data restrictions (it still works over WiFi but it's ridiculously slow). Also, it doesn't matter if I use a VPN or not as I still get the same issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is very strange chrisdc83! I would suggest  a master reset to ensure that no system files are corrupted. Here are the steps to do it http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/87344/ Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes