Dual SIM/eSIM support for the new Samsung Note 20 Ultra
jwolchko
Enthusiast - Level 2

The specs for the Samsung Note 20 Ultra on Samsung's website say the phone has an eSIM as well as a hybrid Dual SIM tray if you are willing to give up your SD Card slot on the tray. It also states that the availability of these items varies by carrier and location.

I have been asking in the Q/A section of the sales page for the Note 20 Ultra and answers from VZWB vary from completely useless to mildly frustrating. Possibly the most useful was when they were asked if the Note 20 Ultra would support eSIM, the answer was Yes. But when I followed that up with the question of would it the support Dual SIM with eSIM, the answer was that it didn't support eSIM, so No. Those two answers contradict each other.

What I am trying to get a definitive answer on, is will I be able to have two lines on this phone with Verizon like the IPhone 11 can do? There really isn't any good reason why it shouldn't work, but after a recent tech support nightmare trying and failing to get a Google Pixel 4XL  do 2 lines after 2 weeks of T3 tech support, I'm not willing to take the same shot in the dark with this new phone. The Google Pixel 4XL IS listed in Verizon's supported Dual SIM with eSIM devices, however they were unable to make it work for me. Mostly because T3 tech support never bothered to call back when they were supposed to.

I have been carrying a personal phone and a work phone for almost 3 years now and it is exhausting. With having a Samsung watch and using Bluetooth speakers, Samsung Bluetooth earbuds and Bluetooth in the car, it's a juggling hassle to keep everything connected. A single phone for the two lines would vastly uncomplicate my life. I'm just too invested in the Samsung platform and the Andriod OS to switch to IPhone.

I've been a Verizon customer for about 25 years? At least as long as it has been since they bought AllTel. I hate to have to switch to T-Mobile just to get 2 line support on an Android platform, but they have a handful of phones that are proven to work with a good track record. Most of my upgrades are paid up and current, so it would be an easy switch.

Labels (1)
Re: Dual SIM/eSIM support for the new Samsung Note 20 Ultra
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely understand needing to get the most accurate information on the new Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, jwolchko. Currently, this device is not supported with Dual SIM service. This may very well change in the future, and we will update our current devices that support Dual SIM service here: https://www.verizon.com/support/dual-sim-with-esim-faqs/

ZakC_VZW

DaveG412
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm with you 100%. I carry 2 phones as well and love my Galaxy. However Verizon doesn't seem to much care about those of us with an eSim phone that isn't an Apple. If they don't figure it out soon, I'm heading to another carrier. 

The tech is already there, they support it for Google, shouldn't be that hard to figure it out for Samsung.

They'll blame the pandemic, but in the long run all that needs to be done is some minor system programming. Yet another instance of Verizon not really caring about their customers.

x-cellular
Enthusiast - Level 1

Purchased Note20 ultra for the same reason eSim support just to find out Verizon does not support it. So the brick is going back to Verizon and Samsung as the sales guy told me eSim is supported. I don't know if it is Verizon or Samsung at fault here. I had duel sim Note8 that I used on Tmobile. I dropped TMobile to Verizon because I was 25 years with Verizon before switching to TMobile for Dual sim support. Now that I tried to come back (finally can have non CDMA phones on the network) but really disappointed. Unfortunately, get a used Note9 unlocked and back to TMobile because Verizon does not support Samsung unlocked phone. The next choice is iphone12 with eSim so wait and see. The real reason for Samsung was dual WhatsApp support and now apple supports dual WhatsApp and I can get away from Samsung. Paying $1400 dollars for a phone and then being dictated what features they decide it should have on it for the USA market is just not good business considering I am the consumer and it is my $$. 

ATMMIKE
Enthusiast - Level 1

Going through this same issue now. Went to Verizon store. Asked if the Note 20 Ultra would work with 2 sims. They told me it would. Sold me an extra line, scanned everything into the system. It was end of day so I took phones home. Found out after I got home that the second number would not work. Went back next day. They made some calls and told me the phone had the ability to work with dual sim, but Verizon's. network would not work with it. They said that that function likely would work at some point with a software update. They "hoped" first quarter but couldn't say for sure. I have called customer support to find out when it would be done and can't get a straight answer. If we are talking a few months I can wait. If we are talking a couple of years as most people know a couple of years down the road the technology on a phone is getting outdated so it will be due to update. My phones I was updating from were only a year old so I might as well go back to that and wait rather than paying 1300 bucks each for 2 phones. My other option is find another carrier. Tough choice as I have been with Verizon for almost 20 years. Seems like they have gotten so big they no longer care about their customers. As a business owner I have always thought it was cheaper to keep a customer than to generate a new one. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to get assistance when needed, and would not want you to settle for lesser service because of this. We cannot get an accurate time frame for when the update will be rolled out, as it is based on testing. Once testing results show that the update is ready for mass roll outs, then it will be. While I cannot guarantee such, it should not take more than months to have this completed. Should you choose to wait, you can return your devices within 14-days of purchase. If there is any other information on this matter that we can provide you with, we are here for you. Please feel free to leave us a Private Note here if so. 

VZW_RobertH

0 Likes
803Saleem
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree. Maybe with T-mobile starting to allow their customers with Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra devices to utilize eSIM, Verizon will soon follow suit.

Saylan
Enthusiast - Level 1

A month ? You see how long take a month its just frustrating see lies to people you even dont have any date and everyone waiting for those services but where is updates?

HMJAM622
Enthusiast - Level 2

T-Mobile supporting eSIM on the Samsung Note 20 series, verified today on a co-worker phone. I have been with Verizon 16+ years, I'm thinking about switching to T-Mobile at the end of my billing cycle.

0 Likes
ALLAFORUNINA

Any updates? How long we should wait for more?

0 Likes