Can my parents see my texts?
bigboy6294

I am on a shared plan with my parents. Can they call the corporate office and get a print out or an email of the text I sent.  Can they see the words I said and recieved.  If so how far back can they see. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can my parents see my texts?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The only way to get records of the content of texts other than viewing them on the phone itself is with a court order. Other than that, the account holder can see the numbers texted and when, but not the actual messages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The only way to get records of the content of texts other than viewing them on the phone itself is with a court order. Other than that, the account holder can see the numbers texted and when, but not the actual messages.

0 Likes
bigboy6294

well my mom just got off the phone with verizon, and she said she was going to check my messages and see what I said, but there is nothing on my phone, so there has to be some way.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

bigboy6294 wrote:

well my mom just got off the phone with verizon, and she said she was going to check my messages and see what I said, but there is nothing on my phone, so there has to be some way.

My mom told me that too when I was in my teen years (13,14,15,16).  She said she could read the content of the text messages on my phone. I didn't know any better because I wasn't into cell phones back then. Later on down the road I asked her if it was possible to really do. She said she lied to me.

0 Likes
CanaryLove

No, Your parents can not view your texts, it is a newly established law. There is no way for parents to read them unless they are in your phone. Your privacy is your privacy.

0 Likes
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

I agree with somegirl. The only way your parents can view the actual content of the text messages are if they have a subpoena/court order, but then and only then will they be able to view the text messages. Your parents cannot view the text messages online, they can only view the message recipients, the date & time of the message and whether it was sent/received.

0 Likes
susansmith
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your parents may not be able to see what you send or receive on your texts, but if you are under 18  and doing something illegal or immoral, or just plain unsafe, I hope they find out exactly what you're doing!  Unfortunately, they do have to have a court order to get copies of your texts, and they would have to have a good reason to ask for one.  And, unfortunately, your parents can be held accountable for your actions in a court of law if you are a minor.  If you want them to respect you, you've got to respect them.

Madrcat
Enthusiast - Level 1

CanaryLove- Can you post a link to this law?

I know as a fact that my ex-wife monitors my son's text messages from me.  How do I know?  She has forwarded them  back from her phone to me - verbatim as sent to my son.  Since my son erases all his text messages every night, I am not sure how else she can get these forwarded to her, if not through Verizon?

sarcamfam
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Just so you know, the last post(prior to yours) in this thread was almost a year ago and the majority of them are from almost 3 years ago.

Additionally, the link you have referenced is not entirely accurate. Yes, Verizon allows you to view texts on your account in this manner, but it is ONLY for texts which originate from a computer in the first place. If you originate a text from the handset, you cannot then check the status online OR view the content of the text. It has always been this way for Verizon.

0 Likes