Spam or legit text message
Ldawson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received a text from 1-860-996-2595 that reads "Thank you for your payment! Please accept our special rebate from VZN of $200 coveringwforest.com/?#WR4FMBI" 

Is this spam or is it real?

1 Solution
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MinChicago21 wrote:

Thanks. What are we supposed to do when we receive spoofed messages, Ellisandra?

Report it to SPAM (7726) so Verizon can see it. Follow the instructions in the reply to provide the number where it came from. Then you can delete or block it from your phone. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

59 Replies
MinChicago21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received a very similar message this morning. Difference is that it appears to have come from my own phone number. Obviously I didn't write myself this message: "Free Msg: Your bill is paid for March. Thanks, here's a little gift for you: gxrgf44.xyz/ivnP1xlu"

I have sent myself links and photos in the past; I can see those earlier in the text-message thread. How did someone send this phishing message using my own number? The several customer service reps I've chatted with today don't seem to understand how to address this issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely understand your concern with receiving spam text messages, especially one coming from your own number. Number spoofing is a tactic that scammers use in an attempt to get around spam blocks that are in place. If you have any additional questions, please meet us in a Private Note.

*Ellisandra

MinChicago21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. What are we supposed to do when we receive spoofed messages, Ellisandra?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MinChicago21 wrote:

Report it to SPAM (7726) so Verizon can see it. Follow the instructions in the reply to provide the number where it came from. Then you can delete or block it from your phone. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

MinChicago21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Except it appears to have come from my own number (via spoofing). I wouldn't want Verizon to deactivate my account or something.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MinChicago21 wrote:

Except it appears to have come from my own number (via spoofing). I wouldn't want Verizon to deactivate my account or something.

I got one myself today. I reported it to 7726 and reported that it was a spoof of my own phone number. I then deleted the message I received. 

Wfreker1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same message today offering a free gift that came from my own phone number as well.  Verizon how are people using our phone numbers to send us fraud texts?  I know this is possible and prevalent with email addresses but not before today have I witnessed this with a phone number and text. 

alanmcrea
Enthusiast - Level 1

yep. I’m here for the same reason as others today. I just got a text message from my own number offering a gift. that is alarming and I feel very unsafe. someone has access to our phone lines.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, same message today. How in the world is this happening and why hasn't Verizon responded?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Unwanted messages are a nuisance to say the least. I understand firsthand with the amount of Spam, & Phishing attempts made these days. Our goal is to help address your concerns. I will be sending you a Private Message.

-Gina

0 Likes
MinChicago21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gina, not sure exactly who you were replying to. I have not been contacted by Customer Support.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MinChicago21, As part of a recent scheme, fraudsters have been sending text messages to some Verizon customers which appear to come from the customers’ own number. Over the past 48 hours, our company has made a significant effort to limit the current activity. However, attempted fraud using SMS spam is an issue that's been impacting virtually all wireless providers in recent months. We are actively working with others in our industry and with U.S. Law Enforcement as part of an investigation aimed at identifying and stopping these fraudsters and their illegal actions. We will continue this work on behalf of our customers.

-Nicci

0 Likes
jennyjenny123
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have been getting this message repeatedly from different numbers and usually just delete it. But today it came from my own number. What can we do to stop this??!!

MinChicago21
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I know that my account is secure? How do I know that some stranger isn't using my phone service? No one seems able or willing to answer that.

0 Likes
jojoh1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have gotten this message for the last 3 months... I also went on  chat with verizon the first time it happened and never got a way to  handle this spam. The agent for verizon apparently didnt know if it was real or not, so I just deleted. I am still wondering why the spammer knows I use verizon, did they sell our numbers to an outside vendor of some sort? 

cf4sail16

I got a similar text message: VZN Free Msg: December bill is paid. Thanks, Here's a little gift for you: yzut19.xyz/A1MSKnh610. I clicked on the link and it goes to a ligit looking Verizon survey about 4 questions and a "reward" of a free AirPod Pro. Only need to pay shipping and handling. Stopped there and looked up scams on Verizon community. Reported this one to 7726 and got an acknowledgment and a suggestion of how to block calls / messages from that sender. Thanks for the quick response

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad o hear that you were able to report this and appreciate it as well, cf4sail16! If there is anything else we can help with, we are always standing by. Have a great one and thanks for being the best part of Verizon Wireless. -Chris

0 Likes
christopherbair

My dad fell for this, providing a card #, etc. He told me about it so I talked him into canceling the payment and canceling his card (getting a complete new card #that's not compromised). Well, a few days later he got a couple text messages asking to confirm his address. He deleted those text messages. Another couple days after that, he had "InPod 12" earbuds (you can google these for more info) show up at his door

My take on this. This group is selling $8 headphones by letting the buyer think they are getting Apple Airbuds and that the $8 is shipping & handling. Whether or not this group later uses the card info fraudulently later... Who knows, probably. In the very least, it turned out very sneaky in that they trick people into buying cruddy, cheap, earbuds. 

0 Likes
Ms_Understood

I received the following text today:

VZN Free Msg: November bill is paid. Thanks,  Here's a little gift for you: jrbx10.xyz/C1VcaMf188 

I did not click the link.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It was very wise for you not to click the link, Ms_Understood. We work hard to combat spam texts such as these. If you still have the text, would you please forward it to 7726? It will help us greatly in our fight to prevent spam texting.  -George

0 Likes