Re: Spam or legit text message
Real_Kiwi

Got the same message twice today. 

Happened to get it first on my work phone (which is also Verizon) and then on my personal Verizon cell. I didn't trust it since it looked like a suspicious link but it looks like there has been a Verizon data leak of cell numbers...... very concerning with regards to the current cyber warfare scene that's playing out due to the Russian invasion. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely understand your concern with receiving spam text messages, especially one coming from your own number. Number spoofing is a tactic that scammers use in an attempt to get around spam blocks that are in place. If you have any additional questions, please meet us in a Private Note.

*Ellisandra

MinChicago21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. What are we supposed to do when we receive spoofed messages, Ellisandra?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MinChicago21 wrote:

Thanks. What are we supposed to do when we receive spoofed messages, Ellisandra?

Report it to SPAM (7726) so Verizon can see it. Follow the instructions in the reply to provide the number where it came from. Then you can delete or block it from your phone. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

MinChicago21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Except it appears to have come from my own number (via spoofing). I wouldn't want Verizon to deactivate my account or something.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Unwanted messages are a nuisance to say the least. I understand firsthand with the amount of Spam, & Phishing attempts made these days. Our goal is to help address your concerns. I will be sending you a Private Message.

-Gina

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jckflwr,

Making sure you know what is going on with messages like this is important. These messages have not come from Verizon. We do recommend always forwarding those to SPAM (7726) and then deleting them. 

-Andrew

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MinChicago21 wrote:

Except it appears to have come from my own number (via spoofing). I wouldn't want Verizon to deactivate my account or something.

I got one myself today. I reported it to 7726 and reported that it was a spoof of my own phone number. I then deleted the message I received. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

MinChicago21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gina, not sure exactly who you were replying to. I have not been contacted by Customer Support.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MinChicago21, As part of a recent scheme, fraudsters have been sending text messages to some Verizon customers which appear to come from the customers’ own number. Over the past 48 hours, our company has made a significant effort to limit the current activity. However, attempted fraud using SMS spam is an issue that's been impacting virtually all wireless providers in recent months. We are actively working with others in our industry and with U.S. Law Enforcement as part of an investigation aimed at identifying and stopping these fraudsters and their illegal actions. We will continue this work on behalf of our customers.

-Nicci

0 Likes