Use of third-party modem with LTE Home Internet plan
AWeav
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was just on the phone with a Verizon rep and I was informed that I am REQUIRED to use the provided Verizon modem/router combo (model# ASK-RTL108) to continue receiving service.

So for example, if I wanted to instead use something like a Netgear LM1200, I will not be permitted to do so. I was told if I do put my Verizon SIM card in such a device, I will receive one warning letter telling me to put it back in the Verizon device, and if I fail to comply my service will subsequently be terminated.

I would like to receive a response from a Verizon employee either confirming or denying that this is truly the case. If this is accurate information, I'd like to see precisely where it is stated on Verizon's website. The only pertinent information I have been able to find on Verizon's website is from the network management page, where it states: "Does Verizon allow consumers to use non-branded devices and applications? [...] You may activate devices that Verizon Wireless has certified to be compatible with its network, including devices not purchased directly from Verizon Wireless."

If this is true, I think Verizon is making a huge mistake. The ASK-RTL108 modem/router is demonstrably inferior to third-party options from both a software and hardware perspective, and I will list the reasons below.

• Software Limitations
    1. Signal information is provided as signal bars only. In comparison, the Netgear modem I linked previously provides actual numerical figures for RSRP, RSRQ, LTE band, and Cell ID. This is invaluable diagnostic information for anyone who wants to use an external antenna and position it correctly to receive maximum signal quality. It's also just cool to see, from a nerd standpoint.
    2. The Verizon modem/router cannot be placed into "bridge" mode to disable the routing functionality. This is a major problem for anyone who wants to use their own router, and use the Verizon modem/router for its modem functionality only.
    3. THERE IS AN ACTIVE 35 PAGE THREAD ON THIS VERY FORUM COMPLAINING ABOUT DISCONNECTION ISSUES ON THE V... Maintaining connectivity should be considered basic functionality - functionality that the provided modem/router is apparently failing to meet.
  • Hardware Limitations
    1. The ASK-RTL108 device only has a single external antenna port. This completely precludes the use of any external MIMO antenna, limiting Home LTE customers who need to use an external antenna to SISO antennas only. From Wikipedia: MIMO has become an essential element of wireless communication standards including IEEE 802.11n (Wi-... Can this really be called LTE service if MIMO connectivity is disallowed?

The phone rep told me that the reasoning behind this purported policy is that third-party modems allow a customer to get around data usage limits and Verizon's network management policies. This can't possibly be accurate, since I can see on my My Verizon page that my data usage is correctly reported. I've also confirmed in my other thread that I am still impacted by Verizon's throttling policy for video streaming content.  I assume any other network management practices that Verizon uses are also working.

Needless to say, the conversation I had with the Verizon rep this morning has left me quite upset. If this is truly the official Verizon policy on third-party LTE modems, I believe it only serves to punish customers who want to invest in their own equipment to utilize the service they're paying for to the fullest extent. At this point I require an official response to my concerns, or you will have lost a customer.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Use of third-party modem with LTE Home Internet plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are glad to see that you found our previous response helpful, AWeav. The answer to your question is yes, the Verizon-provided device is the only one considered compatible. We do not have any information about future changes regarding compatibility. Additionally, I would like to confirm that structural interference like metal roofs and several other factors outside of our control can greatly impact radio signal and therefore, indoor service. Does this information answer your questions fully?

AntonioC_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As always, our valued customer's feedback is greatly appreciated and we thank you for providing such detailed information. It's very important that our customers are using compatible equipment for our network when subscribing to our LTE Home Internet service. We've noted the information you've shared here about your conversation with our representative. We'd certainly regret losing you as our customer and it's not our intention to inconvenience you in any way. There is also information to view about the option to use a third-party router. Please visit our website to view this info at http://spr.ly/6600y3ySe. Please let us know if this helps you. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
AWeav
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply. The third-party router setup page is useful information that I had not seen before.

Am I to understand that at this point in time the Verizon-provided modem/router is the only device that Verizon considers "compatible equipment" with the LTE Home Internet plan? If so, are there future plans to extend compatibility to third-party LTE modems? Can you confirm that customers who are successfully using third-party modems will be asked to stop?

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to break Verizon's network in any way by using a third-party modem, nor am I aware of any possible way to do so if I did have such an intention. I'm simply trying to maximize compatibility with external (outdoor) antennas, as I'm in a somewhat fringe location and I'm covered by a large metal roof that significantly reduces signal strength indoors.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are glad to see that you found our previous response helpful, AWeav. The answer to your question is yes, the Verizon-provided device is the only one considered compatible. We do not have any information about future changes regarding compatibility. Additionally, I would like to confirm that structural interference like metal roofs and several other factors outside of our control can greatly impact radio signal and therefore, indoor service. Does this information answer your questions fully?

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
jharvey2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Please pass on to the Verizon engineering department that many of the Verizon Home LTE Internet users want to be able to put our Verizon provided devices into "bridge mode". This is clearly something they know about as the Verizon supplied DLS Modem I had before this device was able to be put into "bridge mode". Using the DMZ option helps, but does not solve all issues.

BBatty66
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found this thread hoping to resolve this exact issue. I have the same ASK_RTL108 LTE router mentioned here, and I am trying to connect an outdoor WAP to the LTE router. I have set the WAP and the LTE router to unique static IP addresses and set the DMZ pass through address per the given link. I am still not seeing any internet traffic coming out of the LAN connection between the two.

I have been at this for months now. When I started looking into this in September Verizon still had a webpage that cleared the use of different hardware and had the Netgear LM1200 on the approved list for LTE modem hardware. After hours of working up the support phone tree Verizon issued me a new SIM card for the Netgear modem which arrived 5 days later and didn't work. I spent over 10 hours working through escalating tech support before getting to a tech who was able to get the Netgear router mostly working from her end (date 11/2, support ticket #[Edited for privacy]) and I was told that a different group would be in touch within a few days to do the final changes to my account to make the whole thing work. I never heard back from anyone and apparently the ticket is not anywhere to be found in the system, and NOW Verizon claims that no 3rd party hardware may be used.

I am a computer engineer who has designed network hardware and have been with Verizon for years. This should not have been this difficult to resolve, and I am just about ready to leave Verizon and start placing copies of this story as a negative review on every web page about ISP services I can find.

Has anybody to date had any kind of reliable success using a 3rd party WAP with the ASK-RTL108? If so what hardware did you use and how did you get it to work?

clusterduck
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm incredibly glad to have found this thread. We just bought some rural property that has very poor cell service and no wired connectivity. I'm a long-time Verizon customer, and was glad to learn that they had the closest tower, since a raised directional MIMO antenna on a hill would definitely gain line-of-sight. However, this limitation is a complete deal breaker, both due to the lack of bridge mode and lack of external MIMO support.

I've signed up for Starlink waitlist instead, and I'm now going to try to reach the nearest AT&T tower. If that works it looks like I'll end up switching cell providers, despite otherwise being fairly happy with Verizon.

It's too bad; this seems like such a wildly unnecessary restriction. I'm also an engineer and can't imagine that a 3rd party router of this kind is more capable of bypassing bandwidth caps than a rooted or jailbroken phone.

KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes