5G Home Internet Gateway drops connections every night on IP lease renew
telnetdoogie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 5G Home internet with the 5G Home Internet Gateway. Every night at the same time, all connections are dropped when the modem renews its IP lease (I have correlated nightly disconnects with entries from the logs that always start with

Dec 28, 202004:11:1710.0.0.1: [LED_SM] Receive external event 7004(Failed Event)

in the LED log, followed by

Dec 28, 202004:11:18Router: WAN IPv4 interface: - ip: update and push to extender

in the TR-069 log, followed by a TON of activity in the network log.

I realize that DHCP renews have to happen, but I'm wondering why for this hardware they have to be so catastrophic. Most network equipment (especially if the IP address remains the same, as it has been doing so far from what I've seen) will just take care of the renewal and go about it's business, but it appears this modem wants to reset all connections like it's running a script to clean everything up or something.

It's pretty frustrating when you get kicked off connections every day at the same time. I also realize this isn't exactly 'critical', but it does seem like an opportunity to make the service / modem better.

Anyone here from Verizon 5G Home that might be able to shed light on why it seems like such a 'violent' lease renewal?

Re: 5G Home Internet Gateway drops connections every night on IP lease renew
ZermanM

Very interesting. My problem might be related to the same issue. I get kicked off of 5G to LTE every night. The gateway does not auto connect back to 5G. Time to dig into the logs. Two devices now and same issue. Tower is 20 feet away.

0 Likes
telnetdoogie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven’t observed mine doing this lately. May be a result of a firmware update (I think I’ve received 2 since this post) or the addition of a router now between the gateway and my LAN. 

telnetdoogie
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is happening to me again now... The IP changes randomly often... sometimes less than 2 hours. And every time it seems to knock things off (certainly kicks me off of whatever I was doing at the time). Really frustrating. Not sure why it can't hold a lease for a reasonable amount of time...

I'm also getting pretty regular "restarts" (the whole modem doesn't appear to restart but the network stack does) meaning my router fails over the secondary connection. Can happen 4-5 times a day sometimes. 

A2Brendan

Having very similar problem, but didn’t think of/notice the IP lease renewal. Very frustrating having Internet go out for hours/days at a time at least weekly and no solution to fix. Works great when it’s connected, but can’t work or have any streaming services for the family when it goes out for so long and so often.

0 Likes
jscot

Us too - seems to happen when we restart one device - my husband's Macbook, and then we play Verizon's twisted game of F, Marry, Kill and decide which devices don't neeed to be on the network. Usually our mobile phones.  

This only started to happen when we got the new Macbook last month and first connected to 5G home and it's only when we restart it. Is it the new IP lease for that device?

And tech support's only answer is to get closer to the modem. 

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

For issues related to 5G Home, please refer to the 5G Home page on the Verizon Fios Community.  

0 Likes
TJC80s
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow thanks for that useless reply. Sit up clean the Cheetos out of your hair and try to answer this question. Or maybe a help menu can replace your job.

TDetroit22

Mine drops from 5G to LTE every day between 4:30-5P.  The tower is in view of the window where the router is placed, less than 300 feet away.

0 Likes
wumberger
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue. The WAN lease seems to only be for 2 hours. Mine expires then it works until that IP goes away and my connection drops.

0 Likes