IP-based location for 5G Home causing issues
nickkrewson
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've seen other posts from users experiencing this same issue, but no resolution actually provided.

Since having switched to Verizon 5G Home, everything has been great so far with only one exception:
My IPv4 address is in a different state, and my IPv6 address is in another completely different state (and neither states are the one where my home actually is).

This appears to be causing issues with TV streaming services (including Sling, which was marketed with Verizon 5G Home), where the service does not show me my local channels because it can't accurately determine my location.

Neither the streaming service or Verizon seems to want to take ownership of the problem, and it is creating a fundamental incompatibility.

Re: IP-based location for 5G Home causing issues
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

For issues related to 5G Home, please refer to the 5G Home page on the Verizon Fios Community.  

0 Likes
jgrindey12
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this same issue in regards to trying to stream Live TV.  Have you found any solutions?

0 Likes
nickkrewson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nothing that worked perfectly.

I have a VPN that I use when I travel, and I was able to configure my Fire TV to use it, but I don't have a VPN endpoint for where I live, so the local stations that it provided me were not my own.

YouTube TV seems to be working better, but it still can't detect where I am properly (but it gives me an opportunity to override from another device).

0 Likes
Glenn31

I was just about to return my old provider's equipment when I ran into this issue. I contacted support and after a few hours of chat and the requested pointless reboots of the router and my PC, I finally spoke with someone who understood this known issue and the fix for it. They need to assign a static IP address in your approximate physical location. That was great to hear, but the department responsible for that had gone home by the time I spoke with this person.  They would call me back first this this morning with the news that it was done. Of course that didn't happen and now when I call in to support I have no way to get back to the person who knew what I needed.

0 Likes