Text messaging in Ecuador
cswan224
  • Does anyone know if I can use my iPhone to send & receive texts in Ecuador? Is there a cost involved? I’m assuming I won’t be able to make calls unless I add on to my plan which I don’t intend to since WiFi & cell will be spotty.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text messaging in Ecuador
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cswan224, it's exciting to hear you'll be in Ecuador! I hope you have a good time traveling there. Understanding what your phone can do while in the country is important, I'll be happy to clarify what your phone can do while traveling.

While overseas, 4G LTE international devices like most recent iPhones are capable of global service. I always recommend getting an international coverage plan, so you can call and text while overseas. The reason I'd recommend a plan is because when operating without one, your phone when connected to an Ecuadorian network would be at risk of Pay as You Go charges. These are charges where to you pay per message, per minute, per MB for use. With texting, you'd be spending $0.05 for each message you receive and $0.50 for every message you sent. As you can imagine, a lot of texting can add up after a while.

If you add an international travel option, like our TravelPass or an international bundle, then your texting is covered by one of those packages. Now, rather than paying per message, you'd pay one cost to get a specific amount of texting (bundle package) or unlimited texting (TravelPass).

I'd be happy to make a recommendation on which of those plans is best for your needs. To help decide, I would need to know how long you'll be in Ecuador and how often you think you'd be using your phone?

JohnT_VZW

If my response answered your question, please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes