iPhone 15 5G UW no internet service
Swade85

Same issue a lot of people are having no matter the type of phone. When my phone switches to 5G UW in any area in my city it acts like there is not internet service and i frequently drop calls. iPhone 15 pro max. I’ve reset network settings and problem is still there. 5G and LTE works perfectly fine.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies
Clawbennett
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here.

For those with an iPhone just go back to LTE network. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max with this very issue.

I thought it was the VPN, but VPN isn't the issue and then I thought it was not picking back up from disconnecting from WiFi. Turns out 5G UW is the problem and since we can't go to just 5G, go back to LTE.

iPhone Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data > LTE

Mine is now working without issue. 

SynthpopAddict
Master - Level 1

Thanks for sharing Clawbennett that iPhone users can band select; I'd thought Verizon removed all ability to do so last year, but maybe it's just for Samsung phones.

Unfortunately, manually switching to LTE only means if you're paying for Unlimited Plus or Unlimited Ultimate, you're just giving money away to Verizon for service you can't use?  I did see some stuff elsewhere which said to make sure your Power Saving mode is off on your iPhone, otherwise, it doesn't want to go to 5G because that uses more battery.  Someone on Reddit said they wrangled with a number of Verizon CS reps before they were told that legacy plan users have a data cap on how much 5G UW access they get.  After some cutoff point, this user couldn't get 5G, but when they upgraded their plan to a current one, then it worked again.  Just some suggestions in case it helps.

-------------
I'm not a Verizon employee, just another customer trying to help.
0 Likes
turducken404
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has been a problem for 4 years now with no answers on any of the threads.  My wife and I both have the same issue in Seattle.  I MUST have connectivity to work while driving so it’s LTE only for me. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I depend on my service on a daily basis, so I know how important it is to stay connected, we'll be glad to look into this issue with your phone. Could you provide us with additional details of the problem you are having? What is the ZIP code of the area where you are having issues?

~Freddy

0 Likes
SynthpopAddict
Master - Level 1

Out of curiosity, I looked up the specs for the iPhone 15 and it does support n77, n260, and n261, so not a hardware issue.  But turning on "5G Auto" (use whatever's best available) or "5G On" (use 5G only) in the settings causes it to lose internet connection every time the phone picks up 5G UW?  I'm mystified.  Has anyone tried enabling the "allow more data on 5G" option in the data mode, as well as making sure whatever battery saving mode feature is shut off?  The YouTube videos I've seen about this stuff all say 5G uses more battery, so maybe it's something else interfering with 5G not working.

Another possibility: 5G UW, particularly if it's the high-band n260 or n261, doesn't travel very far.  High band-5G might go a couple of blocks if you're lucky.  n77 I think goes 2 or so miles.  If your 5G UW signal is typically weak for whatever reason, perhaps the phone simply can't get a decent enough signal to utilize it?

-------------
0 Likes
SynthpopAddict
Master - Level 1

It sounds like your iPhone isn't recognizing either C-band (n77) or mmWave spectrum (I don't know what band that is off the top of my head, but Google will let you know?).  In other words, every time your phone goes into 5G UW, it detects a radio signal, but has no idea what to do with it, so your data doesn't work. 

Depending on your location, 5G UW is either n77 or whatever spectrum Verizon's mmWave is.  You have a new phone model, so I'd be shocked if Apple did not support those radio frequencies.  Try seeing if there's any software or eSIM updates you can install.

-------------
Swade85

This happens on my girlfriend’s phone too and she has an iPhone 12 Pro Max that is up to date as well. This has been an issue ever since 5GUW was rolled out in our area. I had an iPhone 12 prior and same problem persisted .

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to read that you're having issues with data on your devices. Are your devices on the latest update? ~Peter

0 Likes
el77
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is the problem we have when  we call. Did you not read everything the client wrote before asking this?  He updated it and listed the update. 

Swade85

Yes everything is fully up to date as I stated earlier. I’d like to know what Verizon is going to do to fix this issue? I’ve been dealing with this for at least 6 months.

0 Likes
SynthpopAddict
Master - Level 1

Peter, the OP has said in an earlier post that his phone is fully updated.  It's too bad that one can't toggle UW on/off anymore though per their most recent post.

-------------
SynthpopAddict
Master - Level 1

I got this screenshot from Google:

5g uw iphone snip.png

-------------
0 Likes
Swade85

You can turn of 5G all together but there’s no option to disable UW.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Swade85, we know it's important to have service you can rely on. You mentioned you're running into an issue when connected to 5GUW. Is this happening at certain locations or every time your phone is connected to this network? You mentioned this causes you to drop calls. Can you tell us more about what happens when trying to use data?

-Lauren

0 Likes
Swade85

Oklahoma City, Ok is the problem area and it’s in all areas that switch to 5G UW. When it does, every app I try will not load due to no bandwidth. I also can not send picture messages during that time. And if the call is not dropped, I can not hear the other person on the call. All updates have been done. 17.2.1 How do you find out if it needs an ESIM update

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Swade85.  Our lives depend on connection, where and when we need it from making a call to loading apps, connecting with the world.  We are here to assist with deeper review and troubleshooting.  Please reply to the following private message to work together on.

-Deb

0 Likes
SynthpopAddict
Master - Level 1

What if Verizon brings us back the ability to select the network band on our devices?  This was taken away sometime last year based on what I've seen at Google and would probably fix most of these problems I've seen with various customers' devices essentially wigging out every time 5G UW comes on.  The other carriers let customers do band selection, why not Verizon?

At least the OP doesn't have a Samsung phone, because Samsung took away all ability to band select on their devices last I'd read...

-------------
0 Likes