Slow Gigabit Speeds
nycbhoy1

So just upgraded from 150/150 to gigabit service and get a max 400 for download speed. Upload speeds seem to be in the 900s. Doesn't matter what device (mac mini, dell laptop, iPhone, iPad etc) or wired or wireless. Download speed isn't working correctly. The tech just left and basically said it was working correctly and that maybe my equipment couldn't handle the speeds and then said you're not supposed to get gigabit speed. It's supposed to be a gigabit across three or four devices meaning a max 300 per device. 

What at a joke. Is anyone else seeing consistent slow download speeds and has anyone found a fix??

0 Likes
1 Solution
jonjones1
Legend

@Davidmp wrote:

Same thing here. Upgraded to Gigabit service and I am getting 150/80 speed on an Alienwear with Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. The router test shows 980/900. What gives? 

The speeds from my desktop are actually slower than when I had the 150/150 service! 

Unfortunately Verizon only accepts the speed from their proprietary server to your home router. Nothing else is accepted. You are getting the up to speed. WiFi and device speed to your router from your device is not considered a Fios issue.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Rony_Gonzalez

You are not alone, I just sign up for the Gigabit bundle, got fiber run through my house and the original speed test was at 400/900. As of today I can't get more than 250/250, so I created a repair request and the tech did a Verizon Speed test which shows a connection of 950/950 from My home to their Network, so yes, to their network the speed is fine but not getting the 950/950 to the real Internet which is what they were offering. So, on the phone with them to get this fixed or service terminated.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Rony_Gonzalez wrote:

You are not alone, I just sign up for the Gigabit bundle, got fiber run through my house and the original speed test was at 400/900. As of today I can't get more than 250/250, so I created a repair request and the tech did a Verizon Speed test which shows a connection of 950/950 from My home to their Network, so yes, to their network the speed is fine but not getting the 950/950 to the real Internet which is what they were offering. So, on the phone with them to get this fixed or service terminated.

This is quite common. Yes you/we are paying for full gigabyte speeds but the test to Verizon's proprietary network speed test is the only test Verizon will accept.

the reason being in the real world you would encounter loss hops, unreachable sites, bad dns, and a myriad of other conditions including congestion and weather.

verizon in their written ad states "up to 940/880" however up to can be interpreted as any speeds above or below those thresholds. This could be dependent on your router, your cables, your computer and other peripherals in your use.

unfortunately this is a decision you must make in what speed you will settle for.

Good Luck

YIRMASTER1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not true Verizon has their own speed test and checks from their fiber optic network and then the side from their "device" but not sure if that is the white box in my garage or from the router inside.

Fios Gigabit internet connection as slow as 54 MBs to 275 MBs max on rare occassion when testing on verizon and googles gigabit testers
I disconnected the battery and unplugged my main unit in the garage where the fiber optic connection comes in per his recommendation.
I didn't have a service guy out but he was next door and I grabbed his ear for a few.
I also reset all the setting to factory default on my verizon router in the house and restarted it.
Also have been experiencing issues with watching TV, the screen goes black and no channels at all on the media server.
This seems to happen at random times, sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for 30 minutes or more.
On verizon speed test site https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

it says around 930 GBs at device sometimes more, I'm not sure if that means the router or the white box out in the garage where the fiber optic line comes in?
Also tested on Googles Gig network speed test but results even worse http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

Either way it says check, connection on the side from verizon device, once again not sure which device it's talking about and don't want to assume that means the router.
I checked the lines visually outside with the verizon guy and they look okay but at the pole not sure.
Either way I should be getting faster speeds inside my house than that, especially after I disconnect all devices from router except the pc I'm using, I also tried a newer laptop to see if that made a difference and the speed was even slower.
I have been testing with cat5e internet cables and swapped them out even and made no difference.
I'm guessing the issue has to be either the main white unit outside messed up internally or the new media server and my old router are messed up and need to both be replaced again and possibly the account settings reapportioned on verizons network services programming end. Some of those guys don't know what they're doing. I had to go through two people before they figured out they had to remove the old master device media server I returned from the account and not just assign a new one to even get the TV working right, at first they got it up but services paid for like the recording DVR wasn't working saying on screen I had to upgrade when I already was...

Getting frustrated here but doing a lot of my own diagnosis doesn't really save time because the guys on the phone want to walk step by step through the book directions they a reading from despite me telling them I've already done all that and then some and the order I did it in.

I used to work in the tech world installing and upgrading equipment, data migration to new devices, network services and finally mainframe corporate information services for a major cable company and siemans back in the day.  I think we shouldn't have to walk through all these steps and just get me through to an engineer who knows **bleep** their doing.

Uhhhggg.....

If they can't get gig servies to the computer or at least the router what the hell is the point paying all this money for it?

AJ804

I'm having the same issues. I got FiOS gigabit at my old house. They came out and installed a new ONT inside my house (he said it was easier than to have it outside) and hooked their router to it (FiOS-G1100). At that house I had amazing speeds that made me fall in love with FiOS. Recieved 800-900 D/L and U/L. Hardwiring my Xbox One X reported an average of 500 D/L, 300 if Wifi. (Now on WiFi it barely gets over 100)

Now I moved into a new house about 25 mins away which was already wired for FiOS.. I did self install, hooked this router to the ethernet port they installed inside the house. The ONT is outside the house off the deck, then there is a backup battery thing inside next to my hot water heater and stuff.

Now I have the same gigabit plan (somehow charged me 10 more but oh well) but only get:

Google Speed Test 398 d/l, 938 u/l

Speedtest.net 342 d/l, 938 u/l

Verizon Speedtest 819 d/l, 963 u/l

I performed these tests on a 27" 5k iMac, hardwired, every other device disconnected.

Speedtest.net dropped pretty low a couple times. 

I called Verizon but they can't help me because their tests show gigabit speeds.. but in real world usage, I don't get nowhere near those speeds. I know what to expect because just a week ago, I was in my old house with the same devices, doing the same stuff.

It's frustrating because the upload speeds are solid but download is far from the mark.. if I'm downloading a game on Xbox, it takes like 5 times longer.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon is 940/880 (up to) not 1028/1028

wifi depending on the device can achieve 1/2 or less on WiFi 

you have the correct speeds. The other sites do not factor in the eyes of Fios.

Gujju

I am having the same issue. The gold contributer(s) should give an advise to user group, rather than just throwing what verizon cust srv keeps repeating. 

I have a 1 year old Dell laptop 32GB Ram, 512 MB SSD (Solid State Device), i7 processor. Have Norton Internet Security suite. Nothing has changed since I bought it. No new software.

Before signing for Gigabit (its not GigaByte) I was on 150/150, and I got almost 120/130 a year back. Now I get 8-Mbps (Yes it's eight Mbps) download and           820-Mbps upload.

I was told that a firewall might be blocking or that any device near you could be blocking. Its not the situation in my case. 

If you get a technician make sure he knows how to figure out what's blocking.

You want to see the speed before the tech guy leaves or just cancel the service.

Verizon should also tell the customers who are signing for Gigabit connection that they should have some device which can handle such speed.

Good luck.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Just because I achieved gold does not mean I don’t give advice when necessary.

normally I tell forum posters to contact their states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission to get Verizon to do their jobs.

now I have no idea what Verizon customer service has to say.

First off turn turn off the antivirus and hook an ethernet cable from your computers NIC slot to a lan port available on the Verizon router. We are not talking WiFi under any circumstances. Now you can have the newest computer out there (Dell is not one of them) and have only a substandard network interface card in the computer.

your test must also be from Verizon official speedtest site. Not speedtest.net or go.com or any other test site. Verizon only accepts their closed network results. Using Ookula and others has bottlenecks and latency or missing or high hops.

if you had 150/150 your results should have been over those speeds. I had 165/159 +/- on any given day. And when I opted for gigabyte speeds (correct usage) I hit near 940/880 again +/- by a few lags here and there.

if you are not getting gigabyte speeds call Verizon and have them troubleshoot your provisioned speed. If they say it’s optimal from their end up to your home ONT then you know it’s a user issue after the ONT barring a faulty Verizon router if you use that. Verizon will replace if defective. They have no obligation if you use your own router.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How are are you testing?

Verizon only guarantees access to their network.

and not on WiFi.

so you should test to speedtest.Verizon.net with a wired connection.

nycbhoy1

I am testing on a Mac mini with a wired connection. Mac mini is literally a foot from the router. Speedtest.net or the Verizon speed test site shows no more than 400 download speed. Wifi is lower. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@nycbhoy wrote:

I am testing on a Mac mini with a wired connection. Mac mini is literally a foot from the router. Speedtest.net or the Verizon speed test site shows no more than 400 download speed. Wifi is lower. 

Call 1-800-VERIZON 

choose fios tech support. You need to be provisioned properly.

sometimes after you get the higher speeds the ont must be set properly.

also you must reset the router via unplugging it wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.

then test the speed at the Verizon Speedtest site.

Good Luck

0 Likes
MyTechGuyRI
Enthusiast - Level 1

I upgraded to Gigabit about a month ago.... Speed has been slower than I expected, but I wanted to rule out all other possibilities as far as cables.... So, today, I installed all brand new Cat 7 cables from the ONT to the router (Fios Quantum Gateway), and from the router to my PC (running a new install of Debian Stretch Linux, PC has a gigabit ethernet adapter)

I was only getting about half the speed I should be getting... (450 mbps)

So to eliminate any other possible hiccups in the loop.... I plugged my PC directly into the ethernet port of the ONT (with the brand new CAT 7 cable), and disconnected the cable TV (so no chance of MOCA traffic slowing things down)

This is as pure a connection as I can possibly get direct to the ONT, with no other traffic.    Going through speedtest.verizon.net on this direct wired connection

I'm only getting 346 mbps down, 503 mbps up....

jonjones1
Legend

Did you read my post below yours?

if your not getting the speeds call Verizon and they will make sure you are provisioned properly.

0 Likes
Gmdsr

Same problem.  Had tech here and said Verizon was find.  WIFI gave him 300 mps down load and he said that is the wifi speed.   Showed him speed test on my devices include andriod phone Nexus 6 Motorola gave 190mps.  The desktop ranged from 26mps download to 90mps.  Although the upload at times gave 917mps.  Never got the speeds either wifi or hard wired using CAT 6 cable to a desktop running Windows 7 home.  I think I am going to test the line before the router.  I have a suspicion it maybe their router.  Will have to test before router and at ont box for what's coming in.   This is obviously a problem that no one on verizon's side it acknowledging. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You are talking gigabyte speeds, right?

yes the wifi numbers 300/400 etc would be about right. However a hard connection ethernet to router from computer desktop/notebook/laptop should be around 940/880 to Verizon's speed test site which is a proprietary network.

depending on net congestion and other factors using sites like speedtest.net will give +/- speeds. It is a real world test not using a proprietary network.

in certain instances the speeds are not provisioned correctly or you may have a bad router or bad cable. All of which you should test.

0 Likes
Tesfaye1

I'm having the same problem, and we can forgo the chatter about "it says UP TO...".  This is really simple, at the outset I saw ~880/950 during tests, and a Steam game download purred along at 68+MB (megaBYTES)/sec no problem.  A day later, I don't see more than ~95Mb (megaBITS) up or down.  I was able to achieve the advertised speeds using the Verizon router and my own ASUS router (1GB on the WAN port). 

I always hit the 150Mb mark prior to upgrading (was a 150/150 subscriber).  I had a feeling this would happen, but I didn't think I'd see speeds consistently below my previous package.   If this can't be resolved, I'll happily switch to cable.   The only positive thing I can say about Verizon Fios is that they do compensate you when issues arise, but there's always an issue after dealing with support.    I have to put some time aside to call them and also plug in the Verizon router and test again.  Again, I didn't have any issues with my previous package and I routinely bragged about bandwidth and latency consistency.  Can't say that about the gigabit package.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It is what it is. You not wanting to hear it does not make it so.

if the speeds are that bad call 1-800-VERIZON and have them troubleshoot the issue.

they only support their own routers. So yes put it back in service. You could then put your other router in access mode and then it is supported.

if you cannot get satisfaction then by all means jump to cable.

0 Likes
Davidmp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same thing here. Upgraded to Gigabit service and I am getting 150/80 speed on an Alienwear with Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. The router test shows 980/900. What gives? 

The speeds from my desktop are actually slower than when I had the 150/150 service! 

jonjones1
Legend

@Davidmp wrote:

Unfortunately Verizon only accepts the speed from their proprietary server to your home router. Nothing else is accepted. You are getting the up to speed. WiFi and device speed to your router from your device is not considered a Fios issue.

Msolo710
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having speed issues as well and just renewed my contract under false lies. Was told by two reps that I am getting speed to home. I had software resets twice without help. 

I have a 5th gen Intel laptop from HP. It does not have a gigabit port in the machine. Most new computers dont have them any more. I bought a TP link 3.0 to gigabit adapter.

I also have same issues. My speed varies.  My best speed was when I was plugged into the ONT cable bypassing the Fios and my Linksys Router with my gigabit adapter. I got speed < 160Mbps down and <400 Mbps up.

I spoke to Tech and was told the service is fine coming into home. It must be my equipment.....

I am bypass both my router and Fios quantum router. How can that be when I have the newer ONT box  and quantum router. Do the ONT to router cables go bad. 

I am extremely frustrated and want this resolved. I am not getting what I paid for

jonjones1
Legend

You are going to have to speak to a support tech. 1-800-VERIZON no one here can give you better speeds.

the Quantum Gateway must be the primary with ethernet from ont and ethernet from your computer (no WiFi) to this test site

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

No other site site is accepted by Verizon. And no WiFi speeds.

verizon may measure the speeds from their servers to your ONT and may see that the speed to the home is there. If the speed from the router to the ONT is bad, then bad router, bad ethernet or bad connection from your device.

0 Likes