The Wireless MAC Authentication link has disappeared...?
Zoey_DC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can no longer login to my router using 192.168.1.1 - now I get a certificate error and I am redirected to MyFiosGateway.com. I am able to login and see my devices, many have stopped working, but not all.  However, now when I login using MyFiosGateway.com I no longer have the option to use MAC address filtering, the Wireless MAC Authentication link has disappeared? And, even there is some debate on using that advanced security feature or not, since it is offered, I use it, and had never had a problem until setting up new Smart Plugs a few days ago, since then my network has gone crazy. I can't figure out why I'm being redirected.   It's not a browser issue and only started after installing the new plugs and them upgrading their firmware.  Never had a problem before.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like for some Verizon pushed out a firmware update which is why there is this change in the router GUI. This is also the reason you are getting the certificate error. 

The page myfiosgateway.com is not a internet website. It just points to 192.168.1.1 which is the router’s default gateway. That just an easy way connect to the router for the less tech savvy. 

The only thing you can try now is hard reset the router and hope it reverts back to an earlier version. If it does turn off the mac filtering before it updates again. 

View solution in original post

33 Replies
AceMcHammer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Old thread, it's about a year or more later and I'm still peeved about loosing my MAC filter for my home network. I have a Verizon Quantum router with firmware version 02.02.00.16 and It's been more than a year and the firmware still has not been updated to version 02.03 that supposedly re-enables MAC filtering like some have suggested.

There is a work around to get MAC filtering security back on your network though. You can actually piggyback another router that does have MAC filtering on it onto your Verizon router and there's not one thing Verizon can do about it ha ha. Take that Verizon!! One time a long time ago I piggybacked a Linksys router I had onto an older Verizon router I had before the Quantum router because I liked the Linksys router management software better than the Verizon software.

If I remember correctly, what you do is turn off wireless on your Verizon router, then connect a ethernet cable from the "internet" port of the Linksys router to any available ethernet port on the back of the Verizon router.  Can't remember exactly,  You may have to try different connection variations.  It will work.  With the proper connection the Verizon router then automatically assigns an IP address to the LInksys router and that's it.  Set up the MAC filter on the Linksys and just run all your wireless devices through the Linksys router.  I think I'm probably gonna do this soon cause I really want my MAC filter security back and I'm not holding my breath waiting for Verizon to re-enable MAC filtering. I'll probably get a Linksys router that is as updated and fast as the Quantum router to keep things running smooth and fast. It's a shame that I gotta fork out more money just to get a MAC filter back on my network. I hate dictators.

Oh one other thought, if you have a problem connecting to the internet through the piggybacked router it may be the type of cable.  There are patch cables and crossover cables.  Not sure which one I used.  Crossover cables allow for simultaneous bi-directional data.  If and when I employ the piggyback work around on my network I will post an update with confirmation of the details.

0 Likes
JetFixxxer

This is a huge CROCK!!!! Can't access my router even after a factory restore.   I get the {word filter avoidance} about back ceriticate.  Try to go to page anyway and I just loop back to the warning page.

0 Likes
vii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey guys,

Here is a workaround I just tried. It does not enable MAC filtering but at least all my devices are now connected to Wi-Fi. Unfortunately some of them connected to 2.4 GHz rather than 5 because with that feature enabled you can no longer to choose where to connect. I will probably use it until Verizon release an update with MAC filtering back or downgrade my firmware to the previous release (I created a ticket with their tech support though I doubt about them to move a finger in order to help customers.

So here is the workaround which worked for me (and not necessarily will work for you)))))

1. Open this page
Wireless Settings -> Advanced Security Settings -> Other Advanced Wireless Options
https://myfiosgateway.com/#/wireless/transmission

2. Click Yes if prompted

3. At the very top enable "Self-Organizing Network Enabled"

After applying the setting you will have single SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz and client should prefer 5 unless its signal is too weak. No configurable threshold at this point unfortunately.

vii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Requiring customers to create an account at twitter in order to contact tech support - that's one of the funniest things I ever heard!

Patmor2
Enthusiast - Level 1

What was the point of my making backups that the router now cannot read?!?  Some things I can redo but my custom forwarding rules, port numbers, routes and a host of other modifications (many of which I do not remember, and which took a lot of effort to get right) are all gone.  I can no longer access my NAS and surveillance system remotely (I started getting alerts that all my cameras were offline).

Why the hell would you remove MAC address filtering?  If you share your password with one person, what would prevent them from sharing it with someone else?  That was why I used MAC address filtering AND a  password!  My network is PRIVATE.  Why did you HACK me and and modify MY router (yes, I paid you upfront for it!!) without my knowledge?

I am so **bleep** right now I don't even know where to start.  Imagine, HACKED BY MY OWN ISP!!!

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can reach them by twitter @verizonsupport

I have found them to be quite helpful and fairly responsive.

Yes, this will not resotre MAC filtering.

But I have read that it will be coming with the next release (unfortunately no time table)

vii
Enthusiast - Level 2

With router factory reset I will lose all my settings and I have a lot of them. But the worst is it will not return MAC filtering back!

As for Verizon, they do not respond to phone calls, the do not answer chats, they do not have any support email address. And you are saying they are not monitoring forums. That is expected ).

Very sad. It is probably a good time to change ISP.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is mainly a peer to peer support forum.

Verizon does not monitor or respond to these posts.

This is what I have seen:

To rectify, the customer will need to do a factory reset to gain Wi-FI connectivity again. Once the router has been reset the customer will be able to connect to their devices.

The customer will not be able to set MAC Filtering on the router until the 2.3 Firmware Update is available.

vii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon,

Can you provide steps how I can restore the original functionality?

My router was upgraded last night and now half of my devices cannot connect to wifi. Sure MAC address filtering disappeared from the menu.

Just think of that this way. MAC address filtering is used for the LAN which contains only private IPs. PRIVATE!!!! How can you change someone’s PRIVATE network settings without an authorization?

vii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last week I received an email from Verizon informing me that they are going to improve my router by disabling MAC address filtering. Looks like last night they moved forward with that "improvement". Now half of my devices cannot connect to wifi. And of course that feature is not available in the router's menu anymore. I called customer support and talked to a bot asking me few stupid questions and after that was put on hold. After an hour of listening to very boring music the call was disconnected. In parallel I opened a chat window with them and it still saying "Waiting for a representative..." for more than 3 hours.

The fact that disabling a security feature can improve something itself sounds very goofy. However putting a buggy firmware upgrade is even worse.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on that? Ideally I would like to restore the previous version of firmware and lockdown the router so no **bleep** mess up with it ever.

0 Likes
Crimsy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any ETA when the next firmware will be pushed out. This is ridiculous that a non backwards compatible/breaking change was pushed onto us without consent. Despite the debates on whether or not MAC filtering is secure or not, it’s a choice that I as a consumer chose to use. It’s very disappointing to see that to fix an existing issue they chose to break/remove a feature. 

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is a fabulous Password tool.

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Phrustrated wrote:

Now Verizon is downgrading their Quantum Gateway --- without the customer's consent or choice --- to remove MAC Address filtering. (Admittedly, MAC Address filtering can be circumvented, it helps keep nosey neighbors and script kiddies out.)

"We periodically update our routers with the latest firmware to ensure it has the latest security enhancements, support tools, and bug fixes. During our most recent upgrade, we discovered a problem with your device Wi-Fi connectivity that we attributed to a feature called MAC filtering, which some customers use to identify which devices connect to their Wi-Fi network. 

To correct the issue, we will remotely disable MAC filtering on your Fios™ Quantum Gateway on or after March 11, 2019.  After we disable this feature, any device Wi-Fi connectivity issues related to MAC filtering will be eliminated, and MAC filtering will no longer be supported. 

In the meantime, if you‘re experiencing the issue detailed above, you can always reset your Fios Quantum Gateway to the factory setting which will correct this problem.  Factory resets can be completed by depressing the RED reset button on the back of your router for a minimum of 10 seconds.  Please note, a factory reset will erase all prior configurations. Any manual configurations you may have made to your router settings will need to be reconfigured once the reset is complete.

As a reminder, the best way to limit access to your Wi-Fi network is to protect your SSID and password, and only share it with devices/users that you trust.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

(We won't mention the long-standing issue of blocking Apple Airport Extremes from streaming video from FiOS STBs over WiFi.)

According to this post MAC filtering will be back on in next firmware update. Just so you know MAC filters make your wlan less secure. It is very easy to bypass. The best thing is to have a strong WPA2 password. With up to 63 random characters of any type could literally take years to crack. 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Certificate-Error-Router-home-page-hacked-192-168-1-1/td...

Phrustrated

Now Verizon is downgrading their Quantum Gateway --- without the customer's consent or choice --- to remove MAC Address filtering. (Admittedly, MAC Address filtering can be circumvented, it helps keep nosey neighbors and script kiddies out.)

"We periodically update our routers with the latest firmware to ensure it has the latest security enhancements, support tools, and bug fixes. During our most recent upgrade, we discovered a problem with your device Wi-Fi connectivity that we attributed to a feature called MAC filtering, which some customers use to identify which devices connect to their Wi-Fi network. 

To correct the issue, we will remotely disable MAC filtering on your Fios™ Quantum Gateway on or after March 11, 2019.  After we disable this feature, any device Wi-Fi connectivity issues related to MAC filtering will be eliminated, and MAC filtering will no longer be supported. 

In the meantime, if you‘re experiencing the issue detailed above, you can always reset your Fios Quantum Gateway to the factory setting which will correct this problem.  Factory resets can be completed by depressing the RED reset button on the back of your router for a minimum of 10 seconds.  Please note, a factory reset will erase all prior configurations. Any manual configurations you may have made to your router settings will need to be reconfigured once the reset is complete.

As a reminder, the best way to limit access to your Wi-Fi network is to protect your SSID and password, and only share it with devices/users that you trust.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

(We won't mention the long-standing issue of blocking Apple Airport Extremes from streaming video from FiOS STBs over WiFi.)

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

They did a firmware update and some reason MAC filtering was left out. It be in the next update. 

0 Likes
waynebo

Well, it looks like someone put in a fix WITHOUT TESTING IT!

Does this mean that whatever partial patch they put on orphaned some code?

Somewhere in there, code is expecting a MAC Filtering bit to be set to indicate the device is authorized, and without it, the router is denying these devices connectivity!

0 Likes
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

An issue has been identified with the BHR4 2.2 Firmware Update that is causing customers to lose wireless connectivity if they were using MAC Filtering prior to the update.

As @Edg1  has stated, to rectify the issue, you will need to do a factory reset to gain Wi-Fi connectivity again. Once the router has been reset you will be able to connect your devices.

You will not be able to set MAC Filtering on the router until the 2.3 Firmware Update is available.

We apologize for this inconvenience. 

Thanks. 

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II
0 Likes
vz_shot

This morning there were some issues with my Gateway Router.

The Verizon tech I chatted with said to reset to factory settings. I did so.

There does not appear to be a way to permit only my own household's MAC addresses onto my WiFi networks.

How do I set up the router to deny access to any MAC address which I don't recognize, without having to ask me about it, or my having to find out about it later on after my WiFi has already been breached?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GigabitShark wrote:

Had the same issue and had to reset and reapply network settings before my devices reconnected. And yes the MAC filter link is gone:(

I spoke to 3 verizon agents and none had a clue about this or they were hiding the known issue/bug from us until they get a handle on it.

Being this is a recent update that's not something a basic tech support person would know about. We will just have to wait to see if a another firmware update brings it back. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DJSasha wrote:

I lost the ability to use MAC authentication on my Fios router. Has anyone else experience this issue?

I cannot get a Verizon Tech on the phone to discuss.

Any help would be appriciated

Did you happen to read the other posts? Verizon did a firmware upgrade on the router recently. For some reason MAC filtering is no longer in the settings. No one is sure if this is something permanent or if it Verizon plans to take it out completely. Just keep an eye out for future firmware updates to see if that fixes the issue. 

0 Likes