Audio noise-distortion!
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

For about 1 month I have been experiencing audio distortion on all channels on Fios. Voices, music and sound effects have a scratchy, clipped sound most of the time. This happens through HDMI on both my Fios  boxes, through an A/V receiver,  or connected directly to the tv. Verizon has replaced my cable box, all the inside wiring, the splitter, and the ONT,  but the distortion is still there. There must be some kind of transmission error that leads to this but Verizon techs say they have no idea. Anyone else having this problem? Any solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution
JPV3
Enthusiast - Level 2

The firmware upgrade yesterday seems to have fixed things.  It also took the hidden audio passthrough option and unhid it.  It's now under audio settings "audio passthrough".  Interesting as changing these settings in the hidden menu didn't fix it so it's a deeper fix than just those menu options.  I never thought i'd say this but THANK YOU VERIZON!

View solution in original post

41 Replies
23Smiles

We just became @Fios customers 7 hours ago. First night trying to watch TV and can not due to distorted sound - ours gets "digitized" and sound is garbled - acc completely impossible to watch anything. Not only is it thru the cable box; the wifi signal messed up our @Netflix and @Disney+ too.

Know it is not the TV as that worked perfectly well before our 2pm Fios appointment.  Tried to use live chat feature via @MyFios app to address this with a representative, was given a 10 minute approximate wait and gave up 2 hours later. All in all this has to be the worst new user experience ever! Hours of frustration later and we still can't do a simple thing like watch our TV!  Now to read this thread....I am deeply concerned we made a mistake leaving our previous cable provider.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@23Smiles wrote:

We just became @Fios customers 7 hours ago. First night trying to watch TV and can not due to distorted sound - ours gets "digitized" and sound is garbled - acc completely impossible to watch anything. Not only is it thru the cable box; the wifi signal messed up our @Netflix and @Disney+ too.

Know it is not the TV as that worked perfectly well before our 2pm Fios appointment.  Tried to use live chat feature via @MyFios app to address this with a representative, was given a 10 minute approximate wait and gave up 2 hours later. All in all this has to be the worst new user experience ever! Hours of frustration later and we still can't do a simple thing like watch our TV!  Now to read this thread....I am deeply concerned we made a mistake leaving our previous cable provider.

First try going to menu on Fios box>settings >audio and video >audio >dynamic range. Set it to none, see if it's better. If not, try heavy. If that doesnt help, contact support.

Here is the preferred list of ways to contact Verizon:

1. @VerizonSupport via Twitter (this is the same team that handles vzdirect on dslreports.com)

2. Fios Facebook page

3. Chat

4. Community (once the customer has exhausted the other 3 options, the moderators will escalate it internally to @VerizonSupport)

5. dslreports.com or YouTube

6. 800 number should always be the last resort

JPV3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing here. New TV. Tried every possible setting.  There's no rhyme or reason but when it happens it's almost as if the speakers are clipping on normal volume.  Very frustrating Verizon.  Sound is pretty integral to the entire TV experience.  Please fix this!!

0 Likes
JPV3
Enthusiast - Level 2

The firmware upgrade yesterday seems to have fixed things.  It also took the hidden audio passthrough option and unhid it.  It's now under audio settings "audio passthrough".  Interesting as changing these settings in the hidden menu didn't fix it so it's a deeper fix than just those menu options.  I never thought i'd say this but THANK YOU VERIZON!

Deakster28

I’m having the same issue and I’m completely at the end of my wits with Verizon. I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours today.  No resolution nor advise even after speaking with a supervisor. I’m hoping there’s an update tonight and everything is restored tomorrow. I have to change my audio settings to from PCM to RAW and back tomPCM then turn off the tv and turn it back on for the audio to be fine FOR EVERY CHANNEL. HELP. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Deakster28 wrote:

I’m having the same issue and I’m completely at the end of my wits with Verizon. I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours today.  No resolution nor advise even after speaking with a supervisor. I’m hoping there’s an update tonight and everything is restored tomorrow. I have to change my audio settings to from PCM to RAW and back tomPCM then turn off the tv and turn it back on for the audio to be fine FOR EVERY CHANNEL. HELP. 

Did you try using the service menu on the box to change to PCM ? Or change the audio options in the audio menu to surround? Service menu: power off button on box. OK 2x quickly on remote, should see a diagnostic page. Left arrow on circle, scroll to user, go to advanced HDMI settings, choose PCM, hit ok, reboot box.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JPV wrote:

Same thing here. New TV. Tried every possible setting.  There's no rhyme or reason but when it happens it's almost as if the speakers are clipping on normal volume.  Very frustrating Verizon.  Sound is pretty integral to the entire TV experience.  Please fix this!!

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting audio? Is the fios box hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI and the audio is from there, or are you using optical from the Fios box? Are you using the TV speakers, or a soundbar hooked up to the TV? Do you have Dolby Digital enabled or PCM audio or just stereo?

JPV3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Audio was via HDMI.  Didn't seem to have the issue with toslink from TV to DAC.  This was a problem through TV speakers.It was an issue regardless of dolby digital on/off, PCM audio or stereo.

It is now definitely fixed.  Was a problem yesterday when the announcement came of changes to Fios.  Must have taken a day for firmware to update.  Today everything sounds great! FInally!  Was driving me crazy. 

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JPV wrote:

Audio was via HDMI.  Didn't seem to have the issue with toslink from TV to DAC.  This was a problem through TV speakers.It was an issue regardless of dolby digital on/off, PCM audio or stereo.

It is now definitely fixed.  Was a problem yesterday when the announcement came of changes to Fios.  Must have taken a day for firmware to update.  Today everything sounds great! FInally!  Was driving me crazy. 

Thanks for posting, good to hear its all good now!

BonG11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, for me some channels have hotter audio than others. I also got a lot of distortion on some audio, to the point that I just replaced the tv thinking I had a blown speaker. The distortion went away, but the audio levels from channel to channel, and among various inputs, still varies quite a bit. I now am thinking about a sound bar to improve the dialog audio so my wife doesn’t turn up the volume and damage the new tv. Anyone recommend a sound bar for my Visio tv to improve dialog audio?

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@BonG1 wrote:

Yeah, for me some channels have hotter audio than others. I also got a lot of distortion on some audio, to the point that I just replaced the tv thinking I had a blown speaker. The distortion went away, but the audio levels from channel to channel, and among various inputs, still varies quite a bit. I now am thinking about a sound bar to improve the dialog audio so my wife doesn’t turn up the volume and damage the new tv. Anyone recommend a sound bar for my Visio tv to improve dialog audio?

Have you tried: Menu>Settings>Audio and Video>Audio>Dynamic Range, set it to heavy and it will help the channel to channel volume issues and bring up the dialog levels.

CaliGirl02

I have been having this same issue for two months now - continuous buzzing sound from cable on Frontier Fios formerly Verizon Fios. Not one tech support person has fixed the problem nor did the one who came in person! And no one seems to care enough to investigate and fix it. It was ok for five years and then started two months ago. It’s with Frontier Fios not with my TVs, both under five years old. As soon as this coronavirus quarantine is over I’ll be switching carriers!! Ridiculous. 

0 Likes
Barkey1

Yes i have same problem

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Over a week now and still no response from Fios on this issue. Also found the Fios One box only outputs Dolby Digital via HDMI. Cannot be changed in the service menu to LPCM as this only passes stereo. Pass thru option does nothing, so you never get the actual sound from anything you watch as I used to from the older boxes.

Jrebysa80

Hello. I am experiencing same issue for the past 1-2 months. I have a 5.1 audio setup with a Pioneer Elite receiver. I have had Verizon Fios for 2 years and never had a problem until now. My rear speakers sound distorted during certain programs. One of the worst offenders is Grey's Anatomy - it sounds like static from the surround sound speakers. What happened Fios?? You used to work fine! Nothing has changed on my end. I have tried resetting all of my equipment but nothing has fixed it. Please help!!!

0 Likes
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

We apologize for this inconvenience. This has been referred internally to our engineering team who is working on figuring out what the issue is.

We will keep you updated.

Thank you.  

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II
0 Likes
jonnyl1

I'm having the exact same issue described above and its driving me nuts!  At first I just noticed it on my TV that has surround sound, so I figured it was a problem with Sonos.  But since then I realized its happening on all of my TVs, the rest of which I just use the built-in speakers.    On the TV with surround sound, the buzzing coming out of the rear speakers makes watching ABC (507) unbearable.   I've had about 8 different technicians come out to try to fix this same problem.   First they replaced my DVR, which didn't help.   They've since replaced all of my splitters, replaced my ONT and it's power supply, removed (and restored) the grounding on the ONT's power supply, connected a grounding cable directly to the first splitter and physically moved the ONT further away from my electrical panel (thinking it was interference) - all to no avail.   However, my most recent technician (today) thinks he's narrowed down the cause (which is outside of my house) and has piqued the interest of some other engineering groups within Verizon who are now looking into it.    Anyone else with the same experience should post the details here - the more customer cases this issue has the more attention it will get.    Wishing us all luck!

Here are some videos I recorded that demonstrate the buzzing.  This is on a Samsung TV using just the built-in speakers:   

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2trt0if05rctqpx/verizon%20audio1.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux7y68jbj9tw9hl/verizon%20audio2.mov?dl=0

0 Likes
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you jonnyl, 

I have sent these over to the network team for further investigation. 

We apologize for this inconvenience. The team is troubleshooting this and will let us know their findings. 

We will keep you posted on their findings. 

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II
0 Likes
KeithBjk

My mom's having the same issues.  Just spent a couple hours there trying to fix it.  It only happens for ABC / 507 for live tv and dvr recorded shows.  It occurs on all three boxes... 1 hd media server and 2 hd boxes.  The audio plays fine though when viewing the show from On Demand. 

Steps I've tried to fix the issue...

- Tried the set-top box "Fix Fios" troubleshooter. 

- Rebooted the ONT. 

- Changed every single audio setting hoping that maybe it was some random setting. 

- Reset the settings back to default and rebooted the boxes.   

- I changed the audio settings on all three tvs and tried stereo, mono and surround. 

- Reset the tv settings back to their defaults. 

- Tried new hdmi cables. 

- Tried the hdmi cables in different slots on the tv.

- Replaced the splitter and coaxial cables.

- Rebooted the boxes and the ONT... again.

Nothing worked.

It's only one channel and from on-air broadcast so doubt it's a hardware issue in the home.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

I had everything replaced by Verizon, ONT, splitters, boxes (Fios one), all wire, even have a new AV receiver, no change. Get distortion using tv's built in speakers, the AV system, analog outs from the Fios One, optical outs from the Fios One, HDMI from the Fios One. Does it on all 3 tv's I own. The last tech that came said the signal was very hot, but adding another splitter didn't effect the sound. I'm beginning to wonder if a firmware update caused it, or the providers and verizon are adding more compression to save bandwith. Whatever the cause this needs to be addressed, not dismissed because some techs cant hear it.