TV One mini wireless connection
Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ongoing issue with my TV screen locking or pixelating.  Verizon technical support has done standard reboots on the main One box and the One mini, etc. which does not solve the issue.  “Everything looks ok” from their end.

Here is my setup:

Main TV One box on first floor connected to coax.  Wireless router on 2nd floor with One Mini across the room (perhaps 20 feet away) connected wirelessly.  This setup was done by Verizon onsite.

There is no coax connection at the TV location or I would have connected the TV One mini to coax weeks ago...

Note I have had no issues with the 1st floor TV connected to the main TV One box and no issues with WiFi connections on laptops, phones or my wireless printer.  There is no extender installed.

After over 3 weeks of issues since installation, a Verizon tech person came to my house yesterday and replaced the TV One mini.  Everything was working great.  The TV screen was no longer freezing/pixelating and I was very happy.  

Today (afternoon) the problems started again.  Note to that the freezing/pixelating is sporadic - might not happen for hours and then will happen for hours thereafter.

I pointed out to the tech person that when issues begin, the “link quality” is poor as shown on the Menu/settings/system/FIOS tv one mini settings/WiFi status.  “Video source quality” remains good.

The tech person told me that there have been issues with the wireless TV one mini connections since it was introduced in 2018.

Has anyone had this issue and, if so, how did you fix it? 

0 Likes
Reply
1 Solution
Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is the current situation:

1.  After installing a new One mini via wireless, issue was not resolved

2.  Connected new One mini directly to the router via an Ethernet cable.  Issue was not resolved indicating that the router may be the issue.

3.  Installed new router (note my old router is identical to the new router but my old router is perhaps 2 years old).  The One mini auto connects to 5G channel.  This seems to have solved the problem!!

As a precaution, when I connected phones/smart TV’s/printer/laptop /tablet to this new router, I connected all of them to 2.4 GHz.  Only the One mini is connected to 5G (as far as I know).  Not sure if this has any impact but being non-tech guy it made sense to me.

While we do have some slight screen “pause” typically during the 10PM hour, the One mini has worked well for the past 2 days so keeping fingers crossed that the issue has been solved.

View solution in original post

68 Replies
JoefromPhilly
Newbie

Hi, can you explain how you connected up the range extender? I assume it inclued tw devices, correct? What went into each device?

0 Likes
Reply
JoefromPhilly
Newbie

Hi all, I have been having the same issue.  i did confirm with the Verizon tech support guy that the wifi range extender with ethernet cables will work to give you a good signal if you cannot run coax to the room. Also, while on the phone, he changed a channel on the router and my picture freezing issue went away.  To use a range extender. take the base unit and connect it to your router with a Cat6 ethernet cable. Take the remote unit, plug it in near your TV, then insert another Cat6 cable into the remote box and then into the back of your mini. That should work.

0 Likes
Reply
Rob22NYC
Newbie

So how exactly do you connect the wireless extender to the Mini? I bought a 5ghz extender. Set it up so it can access my WiFi network. Then I plugged it in near my TV and connected the Ethernet cable from the  extender to the back of the mini. Now when I connect the mini to my TV it keeps freezing on “preparing network connection”. What am I missing?

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Rob22NYC wrote:

So how exactly do you connect the wireless extender to the Mini? I bought a 5ghz extender. Set it up so it can access my WiFi network. Then I plugged it in near my TV and connected the Ethernet cable from the  extender to the back of the mini. Now when I connect the mini to my TV it keeps freezing on “preparing network connection”. What am I missing?


Try first turning EVERYTHING off. then reboot the Fios Router, your extender, your Fios VMS box, then the mini. Hopefully that will reset everything and you'll have a connection. If you still have issues, check to see if the mini is trying to connect with the Ethernet connection or the wireless connection, and make sure it is going wired.

Rob22NYC
Newbie

I tried turning everything off and it still freezes at "preparing network connection" during reload. To review the setup I move my router (which is connect via coax) downstairs next to the tv with the wireless mini. The FIOS VMS (also connected via coax) is upstairs. There also is an Verizon extender upstairs that is connected via coax right next to it. I bought   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BYWMSMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

this wifi extender. I connected to the FIOS wifi signal with no problem. Then I turned off the wireless mini, connect the two via ethernet. But for some reason, although it recognizes that its a wired connection, it won't load past preparing network connection" . So frustrating! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Rob22NYC wrote:

I tried turning everything off and it still freezes at "preparing network connection" during reload. To review the setup I move my router (which is connect via coax) downstairs next to the tv with the wireless mini. The FIOS VMS (also connected via coax) is upstairs. There also is an Verizon extender upstairs that is connected via coax right next to it. I bought   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BYWMSMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

this wifi extender. I connected to the FIOS wifi signal with no problem. Then I turned off the wireless mini, connect the two via ethernet. But for some reason, although it recognizes that its a wired connection, it won't load past preparing network connection" . So frustrating! Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Try settings >system >fios TV one mini settings>wifi connection, follow instructions on disconnecting from wifi network. If that doesnt help, go direct to the router with the ethernet cable, eliminating the extender. Also try: menu>customer support >top support tools >fix fios TV issues.

Pabloj240
Newbie

Same problem.  Horrible that Verizon hasn’t sent everyone a new set top box with better WiFi reception capabilities.  My router is about 8 feet away from my set top box through a ceiling with 1 layer of Sheetrock and a hard wood floor.   A cell phone from 2005 had better WiFi reception than the Verizon set top boxes. 
The only reason I chose Verizon over Comcast was to not have to run coax. Total lies by Verizon. They need to make it right.

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Pabloj24 wrote:

Same problem.  Horrible that Verizon hasn’t sent everyone a new set top box with better WiFi reception capabilities.  My router is about 8 feet away from my set top box through a ceiling with 1 layer of Sheetrock and a hard wood floor.   A cell phone from 2005 had better WiFi reception than the Verizon set top boxes. 
The only reason I chose Verizon over Comcast was to not have to run coax. Total lies by Verizon. They need to make it right.


As I've said before, it would seem the mini has a hard time with the wireless signal in many cases. The recommendation is to either go wired, or use a wireless extender, wired to the mini. It's the hardware in the mini that seems to be the problem, something that can't be fixed with a firmware update or it would have been done by now.

JoefromPhilly
Newbie

One hour after getting off the phone with Verizon tech support, the picture started to freeze again. I got back on the phone with support, and they switched to all possible channels. Picture froze every time. My FIOS extender is a whopping 14 feet away from this set. The tech support guy said that that my problem is being caused by interference on that band from other devices. I told hml that I never had any issues strreaing Netflix or Amazon Prime, so the issue is with their crappy mini box, not my wifi signal (which is also coming from their equipment). Looks like these wifi TV One mini boxes are useless if you get any interference. Time to try Plan B with the range extender that uses your house wiring to carry the signal. 

0 Likes
Reply
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@Edg1 wrote:

@Clevfan65 wrote:

Tech support supposedly changed it from channel 1 to channel 11 last week


Channels 1 and 11 are on the 2.4 GHz band. The minis use 5 GHz, so changing those channels won’t help the minis. 


Would changing the channels on the 5ghz wireless settings possibly help?


I would say it’s worth a try. Downloading a wifi analyzer app an changing to the best 5 GHz channel to see if that helps. I really think it might be something Verizon needs to iron out. Whether it’s programming or a hardware issue I’m not sure. It also just could be the wifi environment in certain peoples houses. I think the wifi connection should be last resort. 

cacaponkayaker
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have struggled with this issue with my mini and my father-in-law was having the same issues.  We tried all of these solutions but what never made sense was that everything else that we streamed worked great - it was just the mini that had issues.  I finally gave up and wired mine in as it worked for me but my in-laws couldn't do that.  I finally decided that it has to be the mini's wifi software.  So, I did a crazy thing that should not work, but does appear to: I purchased a wireless to wired adapter from Amazon that is made to hook up old streaming devices that only have wired connections.  I connected this to the wifi and plugged the mini into it and told the mini that it was now a wired device.  Doesn't make sense - but it worked.  It's been several days and all the jitters and pauses and frustrations with the mini are gone.  We did have to put in another $45 or so but it was well worth it.  

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@cacaponkayaker wrote:

I have struggled with this issue with my mini and my father-in-law was having the same issues.  We tried all of these solutions but what never made sense was that everything else that we streamed worked great - it was just the mini that had issues.  I finally gave up and wired mine in as it worked for me but my in-laws couldn't do that.  I finally decided that it has to be the mini's wifi software.  So, I did a crazy thing that should not work, but does appear to: I purchased a wireless to wired adapter from Amazon that is made to hook up old streaming devices that only have wired connections.  I connected this to the wifi and plugged the mini into it and told the mini that it was now a wired device.  Doesn't make sense - but it worked.  It's been several days and all the jitters and pauses and frustrations with the mini are gone.  We did have to put in another $45 or so but it was well worth it.  


Several people have done this with good results. Apparently any wireless extender with an Ethernet port will work. It seems the mini has issues with either its software or the wi-fi antenna is not functioning correctly in many cases, and wiring it to an extender does the trick.

Fire10
Newbie

I've tried this method with no success. Actually the screen froze after a bit and I had to disconnect everything to reset. I'm using a TP-Link wifi extender and the ethernet port. I thought even just placing the wifi extender right behind the TV next to the minibox might help but the settings keep saying "poor SNR". My mini is only about 25ft from the router. Seems Verizon has poor design. Surprised they haven't addressed it since it is a selling point.

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Fire10 wrote:

I've tried this method with no success. Actually the screen froze after a bit and I had to disconnect everything to reset. I'm using a TP-Link wifi extender and the ethernet port. I thought even just placing the wifi extender right behind the TV next to the minibox might help but the settings keep saying "poor SNR". My mini is only about 25ft from the router. Seems Verizon has poor design. Surprised they haven't addressed it since it is a selling point.


Have you tried looking at using a wifi analytics app like the Netgear one? Could be interference from another device using the same 5gighz channel that is on auto switching and occasionally uses the same channel the Fios mini uses. I've seen people that change the channel assignments in their routers for the 5ghz channel have success once they make it a static channel. Also saw another user that had interference come from a Firestick on the same wifi SSID as the fios box. The mini does have a problem with its wifi antenna or software it would appear, that's why hardwired to an extender works well for most people. That is until something Interferes with the signal to the repeater.

Clevfan65
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only device on my 5G channel connection is the One Mini.  This has been the case for quite some time and did not solve the issue.  Note my router is about 15 feet away from the One Mini and the main One box is downstairs one level.  I have never tried connecting the One Mini to the 2G channel and everything else to the 5G.  I’ll try that if / when it starts acting up again.

0 Likes
Reply
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Clevfan65 wrote:

The only device on my 5G channel connection is the One Mini.  This has been the case for quite some time and did not solve the issue.  Note my router is about 15 feet away from the One Mini and the main One box is downstairs one level.  I have never tried connecting the One Mini to the 2G channel and everything else to the 5G.  I’ll try that if / when it starts acting up again.


Doesn't matter how close to the Wifi source the mini is, the wireless system in the box is not working well. That's why I recommend hardwiring to a network extender. Also you can't force the mini to 2.4G network, it's locked to 5Ghz as far as I know. You may be getting interference from another device or network outside yours on the same channel. That's why I suggest looking for a network analyzer app and checking for traffic on the 5Ghz channel you are using.

NoobDad
Newbie

The wireless boxes are not very good.  They do not connect to wifi they connect to the main fios cable box.  Your issue isn't wifi is the distance between the main tv box and the wiress boxes.  You have to buy a  fios range extender which requires coax.  I have this issue in my apartment -- same floor...down the hall -- TV freezes constantly.  Need to get coax run now to correct.

0 Likes
Reply
Schlagel1
Newbie

Doesn’t connect to the server ( that’s the bigger box) connects to the router

0 Likes
Reply
frustr8ted1
Newbie

does fios know this

0 Likes
Reply
Abcdef1231
Newbie

I had a Fios one mini box less than 3 feet from the Verizon network extender and it still showed a weak signal and pixelation and sound drop out issues. ReBooted everything several times. These boxes are GARBAGE. I note that all of my other streaming devices work flawlessly

0 Likes
Reply
Debaclerx1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wireless has to be manually connect to the extenders. They always connect to the router even if it's far away. That's your issue. Have them or have technician connect it to your extenders. Or you can connect it to them with cat5.

0 Likes
Reply