Continuous Spam From Trump
pleasantown
Enthusiast - Level 3

I continuously get spam texts from the Trump camp, and am sick to death of it.

I  don't dare respond or say stop, for fear that will only incite them to spam me more.

Each time I get Trump spam I forward it to 7726 and I also hit the Report Spam button. Yet Verizon continues to allow it. 

I don't think I should have to pay extra for any spam-limiting function when Verizon knows that I don't want it,  that it's annoying, and that it's harassment. 

Re: Continuous Spam From Trump
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, pleasantown. Help is here as we know how it is to receive unwanted text messages. These unwanted messages can be stopped by registering your phone number with the FCC. Please see the link below to begin. 

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/stop-unwanted-robocalls-and-texts

-Natasha

0 Likes
pleasantown
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you Nastasha.

Unfortunately, the Do Not Call list, which my number has been registered with and  updated on for years, is only for unwanted calls, not spam texts.

pleasantown
Enthusiast - Level 3

To  learn about Trump illegally gets around the laws regulating political spam texts, click on the "Political Campaign Robocalls & Robotexts" link on that page.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for this info, pleasantown. It is still important to update your number on the Do No Call list as it is recommended to do this every 30 days. 

-Natasha

0 Likes
pleasantown
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sure, it's updated, but it has no effect on text spam.

So why doesn't Verizon do anything about all the Trump spam that I have reported to it dozens of times? What is the point of Verizon having users report text spam to  it, if it doesn't do anything about it?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pleasantown, we know how important this is to you, and definitely want to make sure that we do everything we can. To confirm, what is the make and model of your device? Have you tried blocking the number before? I understand your concern regarding sending a "Stop" message. However, this is the most effective way to opt out of a texting campaign. You can definitely block the number, or also text "Stop" to stop receiving these messages.

~Izzy

0 Likes
pleasantown
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am using an iPhone 14.

As I reported in this thread, I do report each one as Spam, which I understand is supposed to also block the number. Nevertheless, I get these Trump campaign messages from a different number every time. 

I have previously replied with "stop" to messages from the Trump campaign, and that does not stop them sending me more messages from other numbers, as I described.

What Verizon can and needs to do is identify the overriding source of these repeated harassing messages - the Trump campaign - and require/block them to stop sending any of them to numbers that have been repeatedly reporting/blocking them . 

If reporting the spam messages to Verizon when I delete them doesn't prompt Verizon to block either the numbers they're being sent from or the sender, then what does it do?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for letting us know, pleasantown! To clarify, reporting spam won't block the number. See #4 under "Report Spam to 7726" here: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-301493/ Have you blocked the number directly from your device as well? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

~Izzy

0 Likes
pleasantown
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know why I am being asked the same questions repeatedly and being given the same unhelpful advice repeatedly and thus having to repeat myself over and over again to you.

And I don't understand why I am repeatedly not getting my question answered.

As I said several times before in this thread, the Trump campaign spam texts are coming from a different number each time. So blocking each number does not stop their spam.

Each time I get these Trump campaign spam texts, I select "Delete and Report Spam," and I forward them to 7726.

So again I ask, if Verizon does not take action to make the Trump campaign stop their spam texts when I report them to Verizon as I just described, what is Verizon's purpose in having me doing that reporting?