Spam Texts
TheBobFather
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been getting around 10 spam texts per day for the last few months.  I have tried contacting Verizon support and they told me to install call filter.  However, this does nothing for text messages and is only designed for spam calls.  Then support told me to forward all spam texts to 7726.  I have been doing this for months and it has not decreased the amount of spam texts I get.  I do not want to change my phone number, so I need another solution:

1. Most of these spam texts are coming from Ontario Canada.  Is there a way to automatically block foreign text messages(Or area codes)?
  2. I have read other threads where people have been having the same problem and this has been going on for years.  Is Verizon working on any new tools specifically for blocking spam texts?  There is no point to blocking a phone number because spammers always use a new number
  3. If you can't fix this problem, do you have an API that I can use that allows me to access my account so I can handle the problem myself?  All I need is the ability to access my text messages so that I can send the spam messages directly to my trash.  I have no problem paying for a service like this

Please help as I find this very discouraging that there does not seem to be an easy solution to this problem.

0 Likes
Re: Spam Texts
crp5591
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here.  Has been going on since about May 2023.  I receive many spam texts a day every day.

All area codes (and there are many) of the sending numbers are in Ontario, Canada.     The 7 digit phone numbers that follow are all always different.

I report each and every one with the Call Filter app using the "Report Message" option that appears below each spam text.

Verizon, do something!    Give us the functionality to block texts  by area code or better yet, any texts originating outside the US!

And I already know what will be suggested...

No, I do not want to change my number (new numbers would not be immune from spam texts and calls anyways). I have friends that have done this and within a few months are right back where they were before.

No, I will not use your free call blocking function on the Verizon website that only allows blocking of five unique numbers for a period of 90 days as this is does not work against a deluge of spam texts that come from a different number each time.

Yes, I already have the Call Filter app on my phone, but that only blocks CALLS, not text messages.

Changing phone numbers or using your ineffective call blocking feature on your website are not viable solutions!

We need viable workable solutions now!!

I am using an iPhone running iOS 16.6 and the Verizon Call Filter app version 14.7

0 Likes