Getting Spam Detector to Work
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

I have struggled with getting spam filtered from my account. Right now, the spam detector catches nothing except one address that I entered manually. The online chat team has not been able to help me, despite hours spent with them. We are now at a point that 75% (or more) of the e-mails we receive are spam. 

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  More to the point, has anyone else found a way to get the spam detector to work?

0 Likes
Re: Getting Spam Detector to Work
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The spam filter is supported by a third party.  You can try and maybe it will block a specific spam by sending it to spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net

Note I have two VERIZON email ids.  One that is being retired was associated with a closed NY account, but is still getting 100's of spam a day.  The other, before it was moved to AOL (I am a Florida customer sold to Frontier), had only gotten 5 spam messages that were not caught.

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for your thoughts, but short of moving our account to AOL, I'm not sure it's going to help us.  

A while back the filter was provided by Brightmail, which was acquired by Symantec 10 or 12 years ago.  I don't know if VZN has changed in the interim.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

There's another way to block/delete spam as it comes in.  Log into webmail and go to Settings>Email settings>filters>add new filters.  Set up a new rule that says IF To: or CC:” DOES NOT contain the email address then move to trash

Hope this helps!

~Bryan

jackie9021

Bryan - that would also block legitimate emails that were sent BCC wouldn't it? My wife's email account is now gettimg 50 or more spam emails a day and only 2 or 3 go imto the spam detector folder.

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

Bryan,

I'm trying this now on my subaccount. 

Like Jackie, I am concerned whether it will be a good solution for my wife's account, which she uses for business.  BCC's can be a useful tool in business communications.

I will report back on how it works out!

j_m

0 Likes
RGV1

The amount of spam coming through it Is unbelievable. I use the Apple email program

And it catches almost all of the spam. Would be easy to use Verizon email program, but I can't put up with all this spam

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

Bryan,

Thanks for the workaround. I've tried it for about a week and it caught all of the spam!  Plus, I only had one e-mail filtered out that wasn't spam. 

When we tried it on my wife's account, we found that she couldn't use the "Always BCC myself" setting on her iPhone and iPad.  Because she frequently uses those devices when she's away from the office to keep a record, it was an issue.  All of her record copies went to the spam folder.

Here's a tweak that I found that makes it more useful.  In addition to the rule that says,

"If To or CC does not contain <email address> Then move messages to folder  Trash (or Spam)",

I added a second filter that says,

"If From Contains <email address> Then move messages to folder Inbox." 

This allows her to BCC herself. 

The only real glitch is if someone legitimately send her a BCC, she doesn't get it.

Jackie9021, if you are still following the thread, this may help you with your wife's e-mail issues also.

j_m

james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

After trying this on my wife's account, the results with this workaround aren't are as good.   She receives a fair number of smaller, "low-tech" newsletters that rely on the BCC function to send them out.  She is an elected official, so she needs to be certain that she gets these.  Because the filter blocks anything without her address in the To: or CC: lines, they are put into the Spam folder.  As I identify them, I've put in place filters for these to be sent to the Inbox, but I may run into a limit on the number of filters. 

In short, we really need the Verizon spam filter to work.  It doesn't.  Verizon says it works, but they won't commit  any time to showing me that it does work.  This is getting tiresome.

0 Likes