How to disable AOL spam filter?
jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have been finding that a large number of important emails are not making it to Outlook on our PCs, but rather are getting caught in the AOL spam filter. However, I can't find a way to disable the spam filter or even to whitelist certain addresses or domains.

We've discovered emails trapped in the spam folder that came from vendors, my college alumni group, magazines that I subscribe to, and public officials. I even found a text message that I'd sent from my cell phone to my verizon.net address (and had wondered what ever happened to the text).

Only a small amount of email in my AOL spam folder is actual spam.

If anyone knows how to disable the AOL spam filter so that all email sent to us actually arrives at our PCs, step-by-step instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to disable AOL spam filter?
jeam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Guess no one has any idea...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jeam wrote:

Guess no one has any idea...

It use to be you could right click on the email and mark it as “not spam” don’t know if that still is the case.

its always a good idea to check the spam folder everyday. If you find emails that are legitimate you can set a rule to have those emails placed in a certain folder of your choosing. If the first suggestion is no longer available of marking it as not spam that would be your only recourse.

the ISP has MX that they set as to what they will accept for the good of all. In my old job we could actually go into your connection and set certain addresses and domains to reach only you. Doubtful Verizon *Oath is going to do that for you.

use a better free email service like Outlook/hotmail or Gmail that is easier to manage.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

HOW TO EDIT SPAM FILTER ENTRIES

In:

https://mail.aol.com/webmail-std/en-us/basic#

Go To:

Options>>Mail Settings>>Spam Settings>>

Highlight what you do not want to Block

Delete and Save.

0 Likes
jeam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jonjones wrote:
>>its always a good idea to check the spam folder everyday...<<
That's the thing: used to be you could simply disable the Verizon/AOL spam filter, let everything download to Outlook, and make your own decisions. In AOL's new way of doing things, now you have to keep visiting their mail webpage just to make sure they didn't intercept important email. It's more work than before.

>>the ISP has MX that they set as to what they will accept for the good of all.<<

If their filter is stopping email from vendors and banks, it is not for the good of all. However, their previous set of settings, where you could disable their spam filter, did in fact accommodate people's different preferences for how to handle spam. Now it's "one size fits all," and it doesn't fit very well.

>>use a better free email service like Outlook/hotmail or Gmail that is easier to manage.<<

It's a sign of how bad Verizon/AOL mail has gotten, that this is a live possibility.

0 Likes
jeam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@TomH309 wrote:

HOW TO EDIT SPAM FILTER ENTRIES

In:

https://mail.aol.com/webmail-std/en-us/basic#

Go To:

Options>>Mail Settings>>Spam Settings>>

Highlight what you do not want to Block

Delete and Save.

Thanks, but this didn't help. There's no option there to disable the spam filter. All it offers is a way to block mail from specific addresses, which is silly when the actual spam that I get comes from random unpredictable names and domains.

I logged into AOL Mail before opening my Outlook client this morning. There were 13 messages waiting in New Mail and 25 in Spam -- only 2 of which were actual spam, the rest were from vendors I buy from, magazines I subscribe to, and my U.S. Senator. The AOL spam filter is worse than useless, it creates extra work for me. Which is why I would prefer to disable it.

I can and will switch to a decent email service, but that's not the point. The point is that switching email service didn't use to be a live possibility, Verizon/AOL email worked fine for our purposes but not any more. What could be so hard about bringing back the option to disable the spam filter? It used to be there, so it's not like it's some difficult programming challenge.

0 Likes
crypresscreek

I started having the 'everything going to AOL spam folder' problem a couple of weeks ago over my 4 email accounts. Since I use Thunderbird it took a while to think of signing onto AOL webmail to find the missing emails.

Tried contacting AOL to get them to disable spam filter, but they were no help. Has anyone else tried getting AOL to disable the spam filter for them?

0 Likes
0pctHappy

I wish we could go back to Verizon Mail.  The spam filters on it worked very well.  AOL Spam filtering indiscriminately places items in the spam box.  One day an email goes there, the next it does not.  I have no filters turned on to block and it is stuffing emails in the spam.  I contacted AOL mail.  They have no clue of how to even escalate the issue to the service support people.  I pay a lot of money to Verizon every month and get zero service on this issue.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes